Thread: Post operation effluvium

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar

Post operation effluvium

Well I got a wish granted. After my sigmoid colonectomy this last October I have a new experience. 2 1/2 months after the surgery all my body and pubic hair fell out. I already had lost the hair on my arms and legs years ago but my trunk maintained a moderate amount of manly hair that I shaved in the winter and let grow back in the Spring. Now it's all gone from a condition I never knew about in all my years of nursing. When I noticed that hair was not filling in after natural sheading 2 months after surgery I consulted my Doc and found out that 10% of people can have this hair loss 2-3 months post serious surgery. It's called post surgical effluvium. So the hair loss has continued and it's basicly all gone. TMI? But I love the feel of my clothes even more now but if it does not grow back it could make swimming at the beach a bit more embarassing. The chest hair kind of filled in my cleavage which is much more noticeable now without it. Looks like it's time for swim shirts. I have a 50/50 chance the hair may return but the Doc says that my chances may be less because of my history of hair loss on my arms and legs. Whatever the outcome, I'm not unhappy with it either way. My wife was suspicious but now realizes I did not make this up when she Googled it.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Things could be much worse than hair loss I suppose.
    All the body hair could go and I wouldn't be upset at all.
    Hope you are doing fine otherwise.

Aspiring Member
    Still got any head hair? How about beard?

With a real medical diagnosis, you don't need to get swim shirts. Most here say they never gets comments on being hairless, so if you do, you can tell them this happened after major surgery.
    Hugs, Ellen

Unfortunately, facial hair is not affected, still have to shave. I have a Frank Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond) hair line so rather than look like a monk I clip it all off. Actually, that is great for wearing mesh based wigs.

is it contagious, let me borrow your pen....
    seriously glad your in good health, funny side reaction that you developed and can enjoy, plus now we all can use your excuse
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

I thought by posting this someone could use the excuse also.

As post-op complications go, this one almost doesn't deserve to be called "complication".

don't worry about not having body hair I have never had body hair legs arms chest back was born that way if anyone ask and very few ever have
    hugs
    Ronda

After I surgically lost part of my large colon I noticed that most of my leg hair disappeared (except around the knees) but even that is now very fine and very light.