Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resisting purchases

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    "Resisting purchases"

??? Sentence does not parse.

IMG_1027.jpg

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Katie; reading this thread and some of the others it really sounds like you are having addiction type issues along with being a bit of an exhibitionist (another of your posts , dressing with windows open, drinking then wanting to go out afterwards dressed). Now you want to rush to buy buy buy. The good part is you recognize it is a money issue and are looking for a way to handle it. You may want to read up on addictions.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Hi, Erin here. Been dressing for 35 years. I found that after a while, I only bought special and unusual clothing and the occassional nice dress, coat, and shoes. Moderation comes once one has a critical mass of a wardrobe! ;-)

On the plus side, now that I have 57 dresses, I'm finding that I usually have at least one in most styles I like. So I usually manage to resist buying more. But now I'm starting to collect skirts and tops at an increasing rate!
    A girl can never have too many dresses

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendersoul16 View Post
    Moderation comes once one has a critical mass of a wardrobe! ;-)
    I think that is about right. I now have 6 dresses and 2 skirts, a bunch of tops, a denim shirt, 3 pairs of jeans, leggings, and 1 pair of shoes, several bras, lots of panties, pantyhose (I consider those a "consumable"), makeup, a wig, and breast forms. I think I have more dresses than my wife actually, who almost never wears hers. It's enough for the number of times that I crossdress (1-3 times per week) than I can go a long time without wearing the same combination twice, though I do often fall back on favorites. I now really just need to round out the collection with a few accessories (clip-on earrings, necklace, bracelets), a pair of pumps (not too tall), a pair of sandals, a pair of sneakers, and a couple of stealth women's shirts (that look male or unisex but button on the female side so I can dress stealth).

It's not much compared to some of you girls but it's pretty decent nonetheless. I love shopping and I do so in person fully admitting for whom I am shopping and I've had some just terrific support from SAs, so that I now feel completely at ease shopping for myself. But I will have to use a bit more self-control next time! I will just slowly add items here and there to keep things fresh and interesting, without blowing a huge amount. Last trip, last week, I went in to buy a little black dress and came out with a $400 lighter purse...

I understand the urge to shop, I have a few days to myself later this week and really want a new outfit and something sexy to wear under it. I struggle with it though, I end up purging several times a year and worry about how worthwhile it is to buy something knowing I will just toss it in a few months.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I don't buy a lot nowadays as I have enough clothes to last me for years, but who can resist a bargain! Most of my money goes on make up, accessories, shoes ect. You can find some great stuff at charity shops, but I did treat myself to a new red dress recently. I don't need it as I have about 30 already, I just wanted it. If you can afford it, buy it!!
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Carla's wardrobe is immensely reflective of the fact that a lot of money was spent on something other than a sailboat.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Carla; That is so true !
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

I seem to have this need to shop and acquire something new on a weekly basis. It's not an out of control need, as it can be something small like a new lipstick or similar. I get in modes where I just want to be shopping for something girly.

Many times I see something I like, like last night. I see something and resolve not to buy it, and then it is stuck in my mind. I was sort looking for some shirts at a local thrift shop and found the selection limited so I cruised the jeans again. I don't need any more jeans. I have about a dozen pair already, but there was a pair of Gloria Vanderbilt's with some small rhinestones on the back pocket. I convinced myself that my wearing of these would be limited and I should just let them go, and I did. But today I want to go back and buy them! Some secret desire to out myself it seems to the rest of the world along with buying things!

In Germany there are places people can deposit their unwanted clothes and if you do not mind second hand, there can be treasures to be found. Just yesterday I chanced upon a stash of clothing including maxi skirts, jackets and culottes of my size and not. It can be more interesting this way since you try to incorporate clothing which you will not think of buying into your collection and find new styles which you like and may not have thought of.

Junior Member pantyhoselvr kendra's Avatar
    I have my own walk-in closet full of womens dresses, slips, all kinds of night gowns, teddies over 20 pairs of size 13 high heels. More pantyhose still new in packages that i will ever wear in my life time. Tens of thousands of dollars spent. You walk in there and open the drawers up you would swear you were in a womans closet. I get horny every time i go in there

I had a sailboat, but I sold that! Seriously......I guess it takes some self knowledge. For instance, I had problems with drinking, and I had to quit for a while. Now I can have an Ale once and a while. Same goes with clothes. If it is really speaking to me, I'll buy, and only then. I have this thing that if I wear something every year I keep it, if not, its to consignment or good will with it.

I think everyone needs to budget for mad money just in case you run into something too good to pass up. The anticipation is nearly as good as the actual purchase and the thrill lasts longer. Another part of it is constantly looking for deals and the ability to do something when you find one; it's a huge confidence raiser.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

I know how you feel, I have the money to buy myself clothes, but very very limited storage. Also I can't justify spending too much on a beautiful dress or top that I may not wear more than once. I do find it very touch to resist at times, but I really don't have much choice.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec