Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resisting purchases

Resisting purchases

Most of you girls know I'm pretty new to this but I think I'm getting my first taste of the infamous "pink fog" =0

I'm very skint rite now and just need a good months but I'm having huge urges to do a reverse purge (a splurge?!) and just get out there buying!

I want my first wig, I want this cute pair of flats I've been looking at for months, I want to get into the thrift shops and grab girly jeans and more skirts!

How do you handle this?

I'm thinking of focussing on what I've got - spending the whole weekend in my dress and heels - maybe give myself a pedicure....or will this just make it worse?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    We want what we want, Katie. When it comes to women's things, the more I learned about the incredible varieties and nuances of them, the more I wanted to wear/have them all!

I suggest u budget for the things u need/want most. Then, look for them in thrifts. Eventually, practically everything goes thru those stores!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

You mentioned being skint, but it sounds as though immediate buying is still a option.

In my opinion, for the flats, the wig, the jeans and the skirts, in each case, if you definitely know you are going to get it eventually, you might as well get it now, spare yourself the turmoil and start enjoying. Buying the most desired one might take the edge off the urge; so that might be worth a try. However, if you're going to get them all anyway, ...

If you're on the fence about whether you actually want it, then wait. Same goes if you might need to save the money for something else, suspect an imminent price reduction, are convinced you can find it for less, are not fully into it, etc.

When I'm in two minds about a purchase I have been considering for some time -and this is not necessarily about buying clothing for CDing-, if I'm going through a period of feeling especially uninspired at work, I spend big to cheer me up and motivate me to want to make that money back.

Storage concerns helps me resist purchases of CD items at the moment. It's very effective .

Enjoy your girly weekend. It sounds as though it's going to be amazing! .

Banned Read only
    Katie,
    I've found I get a balance now , I go out once a month so I plan my outfits and any buying round that event. Next month we're having a St. Patrick's day party, so I've been out and found a emerald green silk top, to go with a green tartan pleated skirt , total outlay less than £5.00 , I already have suitable shoes, but would like some shamrock earrings and maybe a necklace. I have a limited budget, my big promise to my wife is my dressing isn't going to cost a fortune . Otherwise I've stopped buying just to dress one around the house , I make do with what I have , we're both happy with that situation, what does it matter when no sees me at home, I do like to look my best when I go out it's surprising how reasonable it can be done.

I feel the same way at times. Right now I can't stop thinking about this pair of flats at payless. I need to go buy them. It is the pink fog. MY advice probably isn't the best, but I say enjoy it. As Lydianne said, if you know you are going to get them eventually, go get them now and enjoy.

I handle it by wearing what I have in my wardrobe currently. Which consists entirely of what it in my avatar and a pair of leggings. By dressing up, I enjoy the things I have and I do find that it helps

It is HARD!
    I am dress only in house, so every time I buy something, I feel a little guilt.
    I try to balance, and also, I kind of fit my wife cloths (the sleeves are short).
    I started with pantyhose and bra, than "modification" stuff: wig, breast, corset, heels, makeup - that was a big buy.
    than i stopped for a while...
    lately I bought flats, earrings and more make up and stocking.
    now I am on a rest again...
    I had my eyes on some nice pair of boots, but my guilt of buying it just for home use.....

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Spend money on a good wig (and forms if you need them), Almost everything else can be found in charity shops (thrift stores for our US friends). I got a fab blue dress recently for £5, never worn, and a skirt for £2!!
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Aspiring Member
    If you see something and you still want it after a week, buy it. I've long reckoned a capsule wardrobe is a good idea, although I still carry the baggage of impulse buys that I'm less than willing to purge.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    I just learned to budget for it.

Three dresses coming from Amazon as I type this.

I've got my style now and I know what I will wear and what I won't, but every once in a while something catches my eye and the thought of it won't go away. I used to fight hard to resist but now I know I will end up buying it anyway, so I don't struggle as much, it's not worth it. Also I have learned that my sizes don't last long and if I wait too long it will be sold out. There was this black plaid tunic online at Venus, I almost purchased it, but didn't. Then the next day I decided that I really wanted it so I went back to their website to buy it and all of the large sizes were sold out. Fortunately this time they got more in stock so now I have a new favorite top. It pairs fabulously with leggings and riding boots. And women's size eleven shoes sell out fast!

Allow yourself a budget and stick to it. This allows you to buy things you want but not put yourself in some kind of financial problem or guilt trip. One of the things I learned as I went along is that a few well put together outfits are much better than a lot of singular items that don't go with whatever else you have.

I do not know your financial situation. If you can buy it now do so as it may be gone tomorrow! I wanted this nice denim dress with daisies on the chest. I tried to get it three times and it was out of stock, so I back ordered it and got it in 3 months! Some things you just must buy for yourself! Strongly suggest a budget as spending can and will get out of hand if you are not careful! Hope this helps and good luck! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Gold Member
    I have much the same feelings, I must have at least 30 bra's yet I
    keep buying any thing that is new, and that is hard for my size.
    Next thing is skirts, I have quite a few of them also,
    I guess "Lent" is coming up fast, maybe I should put down the
    Catalogs for a while.
    rader

I know the feeling. Every time I see an outfit be it a dress, skirt, top, blouse that I like I want to buy it. I keep telling myself no unnecessary spending on things I don't really need to have. I have more clothes than I know what to do with. It is not easy saying no to something I want.

I'm out of town on business this week and have bought 4 pair of shoes and of course I love 9 west so that's 2 or and then a 100$ pr of clarks. They just happened to be in a store 80 miles away. And oh the Haynes brand store was right across the sidewalk from 9west and yes I needed 18 more pair of hose (not). I am disappointed that I haven't found a dress I like ut I'm still looking. I can't resist while I'm where no one knows me. I have talked to many of the SAs and all have been encouraging. I just can't resist.

Platinum Member
    Hi Katie, Be$$$ Careful, It$ Get$ real$ Ea$y real $Quick......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

The budget works for me. But I also have a little stash of mad money when I see something that I just got to have now. Of course I have to pay back the mad money after I use it.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

It is tough to say no to yourself, but sometimes you need to. Family and bills need to come first, then set up a priority list and when there is a little extra cash or a windfall go through your list.
    Luckily, I have a decent amount of clothing and such at this point in time, so if I see something I like, I ask myself: does it fit well, do I have anything like it, is it something i will wear out in the world and can I afford it now. I have some things and I now look at them and I can't for the life of me figure out why I bought them in the first place.

I am currently fighting the urge to order myself a Kubbi! There was an interview with Tara Palmer-Tomkinson which appeared in one of the newspaper supplements a couple of weeks ago, it was conducted shortly before her death and it was too late to change or withdraw the supplement, which had already gone to press. It mentioned she had designed the Kubbi, which is basically a stretch body in which the upper half is designed to look like a man's shirt. Had a look online, I really want one but it's £195 which I just can't afford right now.

I've just learn't to budget for this!

To be honest I learn't to budget years back and if I hadn't I wouldn't be saying; Go with what you have for now and give yourself some nice treatment.

I think there are a good few reads above mine, so read it all twice and don't get yourself in debt over a nice dress.
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

slush fund/budget.
    We have our bill and necessities budgets, then we both have slush funds. Those funds are what we have for the month for anything non family Or essentials. (Regular guy clothes for me girl clothes for her fall into our regular budgets) her slush fund goes mainly towards crafts, makeup and girls weekends, mine go towards gadgets and Jen clothes. Works well for me. Do I want a new gadget or a handful of clothes this month? This months slush I went with a PSVR, despite needing some bigger bras for some forms I am messing with. Figured I won't be out much this month, so stick with the program and self control. I do tend to cart and save a lot of stuff, if by next month I still want it then I will get it.
    We also plan for shopping weekends for us. A few times a year we make a weekend out of it, drop kids at Grammies, get hotel, shop till exhaustion, try everything on that night, return the fits odd or looked better in store stuff the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by mackemlass View Post
    I am currently fighting the urge to order myself a Kubbi! There was an interview with Tara Palmer-Tomkinson which appeared in one of the newspaper supplements a couple of weeks ago, it was conducted shortly before her death and it was too late to change or withdraw the supplement, which had already gone to press. It mentioned she had designed the Kubbi, which is basically a stretch body in which the upper half is designed to look like a man's shirt. Had a look online, I really want one but it's £195 which I just can't afford right now.
    Looks like I might have to find that £195 quick, as the company which markets the Kubbi is being closed down by Tara's estate.

I am terrible when it comes to Pink Fog Splurges. I find it very hard to resist, once I've found something I like. I have a story involving a pair of very sexy shoes in a thrift store that ended up being way more expensive because I got a parking ticket in the process of buying them... what made matters worse was the fact that I was preparing for a girly weekend (which was great) so the Pink Fog had really set in.

Today I've ordered another two pairs of sexy heels. It never ends.

But I do try to keep my purchases in check a little.

Call me a cab...ernet!
    I binge on shopping for feminine attire. Usually I save up some cash over the space of a month. Last week I got up the courage to stop into Transformations by Rori in Arlington Heights IL to shop for new breast forms. It was my first time shopping where I wasn't acting like I was purchasing for someone else. What an empowering experience!! And in my enthusiasm of the moment, I not only purchased new forms, but also a bra, stockings, heels and a dress! And to top it off I got to try them on and model!! That feeling of empowerment only spurred me on more because then a few days later I was near an outlet mall and stopped in a Hanes outlet store and purchased a new bra, and several pairs of panties only to be followed by a stop at a Burlington Coat factory where I purchased 8 pairs of new panties. Whew!! Need to take a slight break or I'll be in debt!!! It's nice to no longer have to "pretend" my shopping is for someone else. Ready for the next baby step!!!

As the Borg say, "Resistance is futile!"
    I have slowed down on my purchases considerably in the last few weeks. I have also nixed a few items that I thought that were needed. Now there are still a few things that I really want, like some yellow patent pumps, but I've eliminated things like swimsuits (no pool,) and sleepwear, mainly because I don't see myself as a woman in those items. Of course there are some other exceptions, like earrings, but they have to be silver or 14K gold, as the stainless and gold plated ones will turn my lobes black or green. And the same thing happens with rings, bracelets, and necklaces. So for those things, it's pawn shops and estate sales to $ave $ome $$$.
    Like many of the other ladies on here, you learn over time, and, hopefully, control those impulses to $hop, $hop, $hop...
    Just my

-Geena
    I am a work of art! I just wish that my artistic skill set was closer to Norman Rockwell than it is to Salvador Dali!