Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Could Go Back And Do It All Again

If You Could Go Back And Do It All Again

I get the impression that many of the members here are on the "mature" side. I myself am 58.

Society still has a long way to go, but it's a different, much more accepting world than when I was a teenager (at least in the part of the world where I live). Children have more freedom to choose to identify as the gender they are comfortable with, it's much more acceptable to be "androgynous", and we hear a lot more terms like "gender fluid", "transgender", "transitioning" etc. Most cities have a "pride week" with parades and very inclusive events. A lot of the things that would have made you a target when I was young, are much more acceptable now, and more so all the time.

My question is directed to those of us who have been around and dealing with this for a while. If you could wake up tomorrow and be 10 years old again, considering how society has changed and is continuing to advance, would your female persona now take a more pronounced role? What would you do differently with your life?

An interesting question to ponder on.

When I was around 9 years old I loved dressing in various girls clothes. If someone had told me then that it was OK to do it and I could dress up anytime I wanted, hmmmm....

I'm not sure how I would have approached that situation. Would I dress up full time, part time, or would I have grown out of it like it was just a passing phase. Hard to say but it sure makes the mind stretch to consider the options.

Bailee.....If I could go back to being young again, I would possibly/probably start my coming out process at a much younger age.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    Can I go back 10 more years and somehow make the X chromosome sperm win?

"My question is directed to those of us who have been around and dealing with this for a while. If you could wake up tomorrow and be 10 years old again, . . [SNIP] . . would your female persona now take a more pronounced role? What would you do differently with your life?"

I might have been around 12 or 13 when mine started, but that's just details.

So, with the same parents? . . My remains might be on the ocean floor tied to a huge rock . I actually wouldn't put it past them; even with a more accepting society on the outside . They believe what they believe: tradition plus the other one - two entities known for their flexibility .

Knowing what I have at present, ( wife of 51 years, five kids,two grand kids ) I'd go down the same road. At 10 years old today, and not knowing, I'd probably go a different route. I'm 77 in a few days and I don't regret my past. Can't go back now, so I'll keep looking forward, as long as my time here permits.

I would change a few things not everything .The acceptance part ,less purging (wow did i waste a lot of money and time )and handling my relationships better
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

I'm 45 with 4 kids and an ex wife who hates me (not dressing related). Knowing what I know now I would've had the courage to come out in my late teens and early 20s and transitioned completely. I'd be living a different life today if I had.

I'm not sure even now is the right time to come out with my kids in their late tweens and early teens and my parents in their 70s. So I just suppose I'll stay a shell of a man and miserable.

I am 50, and I would certainly have had the internet to assist me in figuring this out. Sites like this are great! I certainly would have had my own clothes and enjoyed them more. I also think I would have gotten out socially more like I do now. Lastly, I would have gotten some help and been more honest with my Sos over the years.
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

Ahhh, the old if I knew then what I know now! Hind sight is always 20/20! If I went back and changed things, my children would not have been born and I would not have married my wife of 34+ years! No thanks I am fine! I will just press on on my journey! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

That would require that I give up my spouse, children and grandchildren, an unthinkable idea, so answering your question is impossible for me.

Platinum Member
    Hi Bailee, At 74 I have been in this program for 70years now with myWIFE of 53years
    and two grown daughters I an happy to have the best of both worlds......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Banned Read only
    Bailee,
    I'm 65 now but looking back to when my CDing started at the age 8-9 years I didn't think of it as a gender thing, all I knew was it had to be hidden away, wearing your sister's clothes was not the thing to be doing as a boy. when I started dating , my first GF suggested I wear her panties, as she asked me I felt there was nothing wrong in this. My next GF found me wearing her baby doll nightie and really went for it so again I thought there's nothing wrong wit it. When I married I didn't mention it to my wife, naively I thought all women were OK with it. I guess I felt is was something I carried over from my childhood that would eventually go away . It took twenty years for it to really become a problem , I wanted so bad to come out and be accepted, I told my wife but the DADT wall went up fairly quickly, I guess that made it more of a problem because I felt so rejected and unloved . Moving on another twenty years I had to do something about it so I joined the forum, and immediately found people older than me still dressing and enjoying it, that's when the penny really dropped that I realised I was born like it and it's for life . Through counselling and finally finding AGP is what makes me tick, I've finally beginning to achieve my goal, to come out and be seen and accepted as a woman.

OK that's a little long winded in answering the question, would I have done things differently ? We can only ask this question when we reach a certain age anyway, what ever we choose to do in life it will have regrets. If I had known then what I know now, I might not have two great children and three lovely grandchildren. I have done so much with my wife over the years , I might not have traveled as much , my life wouldn't possibly be as rounded , my regret now is that my wife can't accept that I have battled with these feelings for so long and now I'm beginning to find answers to it she can't allow herself to let me be totally open with both sides of me. I suppose the way I've worded this it's understandable she doesn't want to lose the man who lived this life with her. That is one question I can make no promises about, I keep telling myself I'm too old to change now but it's becoming stronger than ever , which is something I never expected.
    Last edited by Teresa; 02-24-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Aspiring Member
    I don't quite think I should be here - I'm still in my 20s. Just saying that I doubt the situation now is as rosy. I don't think anything would have changed despite the immense social progress we've made in the last decade alone... in fact I think in the wake of backlash, especially from vocal evangelical bodies, I think I may have had it much worse given which side my parents and church were on. However, compared to the average element of those organisations my parents were a lot more open (Mum has openly remarked on how she found some transgender women more attractive than genetic women). They've told me I wouldn't be pretty as a woman... not that I was attractive as a man in the first place anyway. I don't fault them in the slightest nonetheless - how they raised me was entirely in line with the nurse proclaiming "It's a boy" when presenting me to them. Being introduced to Pink Dot (the major pride parade in SG) at a young age as a negative front, framed such that one couldn't argue against God, would not have helped me either.
    Last edited by Lily Catherine; 02-24-2017 at 07:42 PM.

When I think about all the anxiety, bullying and misery I've suffered over the past 42 years (since age 10) from trying to be the most masculine guy I could possibly be, the answer is obvious and easy.

I am eight months into transition at this point, and for the first time in my life, I smile whenever I see myself in a mirror. I used to hate being photographed, and now the more feminine I look the more I enjoy shooting selfies. The hormones have made me far, far less angry, more patient, better at analytical thinking, and an all around nicer person.

If I were ten now, I would go on puberty blockers immediately and female hormones as soon as possible. And I suspect I would have far better grades in high school and college, considering that my grades dropped after I went through male puberty, and I struggled all the time after that.

But, I would need a new set of parents. The only reason I am transitioning now is because in 2009 a stroke silenced my father for good. (He is still alive but can no longer speak.) It still took five years of me running on all the garbage he filled my mind with before I stopped and said: "Just who the heck am I anyway?" In 2014 I came out to myself. I crossdressed for a year, and then went for therapy in early spring 2016.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Aspiring Member
    I'm 73 and I don't think things would be any different for me, but reading your post made me think about how many times I saw something on the tv news (television news, sorry) about transgender children. The answer is NEVER. I remember something on the news about Christine Jorgensen, but that was the one and only tg thing I ever heard about.

I would have checked out my mom's and older sister's modest collections of high heels earlier. By the time I checked them out they were too small for me. I also wouldn't have purged any clothing, although that is probably a given for most of us.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I've often though about this, but if I had changed things I might not have my two boys, who mean the absolute world to me. Having said that there are still a lot of things I'd have changed, telling my wife about me before we got serious would be up there.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Since it's a "what if" then I'd like to think that were I 10 again and having the advantage of today's societal viewpoint that I would most certainly begin transitioning.
    Perhaps I'd even have my own TV show or at least a special on PBS.

I do think I would have done much more with this part of me and been able to spend much of my life as a woman. I feel it would have been very positive for me and most assuredly I would have done more with my abilities.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

What would I do differently with my life? As a point of reference, I'll be 70 in a few months time, and I make it a policy not to regret my past. If I could retain what I know now and go back, I'm not sure I'd change much until I started to date women. At that point I'd place much more emphasis on their willing acceptance and comfort level with my crossdressing, than what I did back in the day.

Karen

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    ............. all I knew was it had to be hidden away, wearing your sister's clothes was not the thing to be doing as a boy.
    But, didn't that empower you with a secret activity that was far and above the excitement the other boys were going through? I watched their angst about which way a ball went and the disappointment and confusion about the desire to associate with females. I had friends, girlfriends and that extra something special!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

It would depend so absolutely on what else changed in that scenario. I'm unemployed, 59, and a widower. My parents and wife are deceased, and my daughter is 21. Very little is left to tie me to my past life. Spouse, co-workers, and even most of my former life's friends really wouldn't matter.

Assuming that nothing else changed, and I woke up as a ten year old boy in 2017 America, still knowing all I know now, but presumably with an adoptive pair of parents to raise and shelter me until I was an adult? Well, if they were in synch with today's ways of thinking, and at all accepting of trans issues, I would probably transition fully, as soon as I could. Getting to live pretty much a second full life, but this time as a female, with the advantages to transition that going onto hormones before puberty set in would bring, would be very attractive to me. More attractive than just living my life all over again as a male. And getting to establish a whole new life and background, from grade school age forward, would be very interesting. Especially if I could use all I know now to make my early education a piece of cake!

If my new parents were not so accepting, I would talk to my doctor, and try to get him/her on my side for supporting transition, and still proceed as soon as I could do so. At the very least, I wouldn't try to deny my bisexuality or my desires to cross dress. And if I couldn't do it any sooner, I'd aim to transition as soon as I could start living on my own.

On the other hand... If I became a ten year old, and my parents/family also moved forward in time with me - so I had the same mom and dad and little sister, and the same grandparents? That would be a lot tougher. I think if my mom was the mother of a ten year old boy in today's society, she would prove to be accepting if I came out to her. My father? Well, I doubt he would take it so well. He put a lot of stock in me being his son and following his footsteps as a member of the fraternal organizations that were the core of his social life. My declaring I was trans and bi and wanting a sex change would invalidate my eligibility to join his fraternal groups. Ditto for my grandparents, where both of my grandfathers were also in that fraternal circle. I probably would have waited until I was independent and living on my own, and then transition in my early 20's, before I lost too much hair, and while hormones had a better chance of reversing some of puberty's changes.

Bottom line, though - if I had essentially a 'second life to live', I'd transition as soon as I could, and live it as a female this time.

I'm 69 I wouldn't go back to 10 maybe 39 and start over. That way I would still have my kids and grandkids in my life. But be able to dress as I want or transition if I wanted to watch I do.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Banned Read only
    The only thing that would change is my perception of who I was at the age I first ventured into the world of cross dressing. My journey started when I was fifteen or maybe a year or two earlier. Back in the 1960's anything other than a straight relationship between a male and female was deemed deviant. If you really think things have changed I'd say your misguided or under a false impression. Yes, you may not get beat up. You may have some protection by laws and human resource policies, but, total change? Not by a long shot. Even with what is suppose to be a more accepting society go to any mall and see how many cross dressing men there are. Generally we are still in the confines and security of our homes, and, if we do venture out it is to a place where other cross dressers or transpersons mingle.

I keep my cross dressing desires in balance with the other things and relationships I value in life.

Banned Read only
    If I were 10 years old today, I'd enroll in Genecis here in Dallas, and I'd transition as a child. No question about it. In 1973, when my gender identity really, really started to become an issue, no such program existed, and the psychologist who evaluated me was looking to see if there was something WRONG with me. So I didn't talk about gender, and I lied to him because I was certain if I admitted what I really felt, I'd be institutionalized.

If I had to do it again, but still be born in 1963, then I'd have told myself to transition at 18. It would've been brutal, but I'd have managed it.