Thread: Another Step Closer - My 1st Mammogram

Another Step Closer - My 1st Mammogram

I am coming up on the second anniversary of starting HRT. At my last visit with my doctor, I told her I should have a mammogram done, as my mother had breast cancer. So she set me one up for today.

Those who have never had one have all heard the horror stories from those who have had them. So that was in the back of my mind as I entered the clinic. When I opened the door, here is a room full of guys.Wait, I do have the breast clinic? I checked in and had a seat to watch an old Gunsmoke. Does this place know who's in the waiting room or what!

I have been sick all week and today was the first time I felt half way decent. But my wife was still sick and because I nursed her all morning, I went in male mode. I looked just like any of the other husbands waiting on their wife. I was wondering what went through their minds when I got called back?

The staff couldn't have been better. The mammogram tech who took me back asked if it was my first time and started explaining what was about to happen. She had me step into the room, remove my shirt, and step over to the machine. She assured me that it's not as bad as I'd been told. She was right, the pressure was firm but even. Three minutes later I was done and waiting for a doctor to read the results. Five minutes later, the doctor stepped in and said things were perfect! I was given my papers and out the door I went. No "vise grip of death", no smashing plates, a very easy procedure that went quick. But like any other lady, I considered today another step forward on my way to womanhood.
    Last edited by Heidi Stevens; 02-24-2017 at 10:53 PM.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Wow! First mammogram Congratulations.

Toto. I don't think we're in (Ar)Kansas any more!
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Glad your experience went so well, and the news was good.

Apparently, my father said my grand-father had some Breast Cancer at some point. Trying to get family health problems from him is terrible.

Was this specifically a Breast Screening clinic.

Where I go, have had two now started late at 64, it is a multi type clinic. Thanks to Medicare the cost is covered. Also had my bone density test and a knee x-ray done there.

My breasts are not that perky anymore, at a 46D, so it didn't take much squishing in the plates. Found out that there is Dense and Not Dense. I have Not Dense which is good for screening.

I only wear dresses so I had to take that off, and put on one of those stupid gowns.

On the info forms I did have to explain that I had taken HRT and that I was "assigned male at birth", They didn't even bat an eye at my story.

Thanks ladies. It was a clinic specific to breast cancer run by the Medical College for the U. of Arkansas. The Doctor for my HRT treatments is a teaching doctor for the school, teaching OB/GYN.

I had my first mammogram about 1 1/2 years ago. I would describe the process as uncomfortable, but not painful. The worse part was having to contort myself so good images could be obtained. It was sort of like playing Twister - reach up and grab the bar, turn your shoulder a little, lean in, etc.

I checked in and the nurse calls me back a few minutes later. She points out the lockers where I can store my clothes and purse then hands me a front opening gown and shows me to a changing room. She retrieves me after a few minutes and takes me back to the exam room. After typing on the keyboard for a moment, she says, "I just want to say you are gorgeous (I fell in love with her right then and there), and I'm curious why you have not changed your name? If it was not for that, I would not have known you were transgender." (My birth name was still on the medical record, but my sex marker was F). We chatted for a few minutes and she asked some semi-personal questions, but I could tell it was out of genuine curiosity and wanting to know so I was not offended and did not mind. She was super sweet and I felt comfortable with her. She asked if I wanted to see the images and I said yes. She said the images looked just like any woman's breasts. She took the images to the doctor and came back saying everything looked good at a quick glance, but the doctor would have to take a closer look later. As I was getting dressed, she said to wait a few minutes and she was going to ask the doctor if anything different needed to be done since I was transgender. The doctor said no and that I could go. The nurse said about 10% of the time you have to come back for additional images and said to ask for her if I had to return. She gave me a hug and I was on my way. I'm due for another mammogram in the fall. My first experience was not bad so I am not dreading it.

Heidi, I am so happy to hear everything went so well for you.

From what I have read on mammograms, I will probably have to one done in a few years, so nice to hear that it was not real painful.

I went for my first time last year. It was much as described above. When I got into the exam room the tech asked me to go ahead and open the gown. Then she went back to the computer to pull up my file before she started the test. She started asking me questions about my medical history. "Are you or could you possibly be pregnant?" Me: "No." Tech:"When was your last period?" Me:"Never. " She gave me a puzzled look and then I told her I was born male. She just hesitated for a second then continued with the questions and exam. She made no further mention of my trans status. I chuckled a little during the exchange. The exam itself was just a little uncomfortable though I was sore for a few hours after. In fact, I just got a reminder in the mail that it is time to schedule a test for this year.

Untitled
    In the UK it is automatic for those women over 50 years old and is carried out every 3 years, at no cost. The questions you are asked are standard for a natal female and are such an automatic part of the process, that yes, some of the answers you present a slight pause, but the people completing the procedure just carry on as normal.

The hardest part of this process is waiting for the results, in the UK we have to wait for a letter giving the results and this can sometimes take weeks.

There is no better feeling opening that letter to read everything is ok, you will be recalled in x years.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

What a wonderful set of stories on how mammograms are done in other places. I would have to wait for the letter, as Nigella does. That would cause more concern than the minor physical pain for the test itself. Since I had on blue jeans and a henley, I did not have to put on the back slit gown. All I had to do was remove the top. If that's all that was required, why don't most women wear pants or a skirt with a separate top?

Recommend annual mammo visits for every girl who has any growth....yes they are filled with anxiety....but health is health and better to know and go through a littl discomfort than they alternative......now let's talk about the other annual when doc says....Ok ma'am........saddle up.......another thread and other stories...lol

Silver Member
    Definitely not something to which I'm looking forward. My doctor (who is also trans) says no need until the 5 year point, so I'm good until a year from this August.
    Lea

Untitled
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    My doctor (who is also trans) says no need until the 5 year point...

As I had already had my medical records changed prior to my 50th, I was called up automatically via the NHS systems. I had to ring the team doing the mammogram, explain that I was TS and at that time had no growth to speak of to check. Their response was OK, we will call you forward when you are due your next one. I'm due sometime in the next 12 months
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Silver Member
    Whoops ... rechecked the calendar. I started Aug 2, 2012. It's this year. 😳
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Stevens View Post
    I did not have to put on the back slit gown. All I had to do was remove the top. If that's all that was required, why don't most women wear pants or a skirt with a separate top?
    Mine was a front opening gown. I do not wear pants except for work around / in the yard anymore. The gown was more trouble to keep up, and as it was only the woman tech and me I just let it fall off. I guess if it was a male tech, would have tied it around my waist.

Platinum Member
    very cool, Heidi. Quite another threshold crossed!

Silver Member
    Not because of anything trans, but because of a large, sore lump behind my right nipple, my GP ordered one for me. I entered the waiting room full of women (blush, blush), checked in, sat down and knew that every eye in the room was on me! The lady to my right asked,"mammogram"? I said, "yes, a swelling on my right side." She grinned as if to say, OK Buster, you're gonna get yours! The tech did both sides? Why? To have a comparison. I had fleshy breast areas. The clamping was tight, but not as painful as I expected. I now do self massaging breast exams all of the time. <grin>

Your right Jenny, guys need to know that this can hit them as well. Self examination and noting soreness can tell you to get in and see the Doc. As far as the room full of women, either the ladies in your area are more independent or we have more caring husbands.

congrats on your exam ,
    I read somewhere recently that men are very susceptible to breast cancer although not as broadly reported as the womens are

Found a breast lump about two years ago so got mammogram scheduled. You have never seen someone going for a mammogram with a small smile on their face. Sort of a validation step. Of course all the people i saw were former professional colleagues which made it more interesting. At the breast clinic there was the usual paper work and questionnaires. One question was when was your first period so I answered "Still waiting for it." The next question was how many babies have you delivered. Answer was around three or four thousand. I do not think anyone read that form. Had the mammogram and then an ultrasound. The sonographer left the room and left me with the machine so I did my own sonogram. The radiologist came in and looked over my shoulder. She said I had a little gynecomastia. Couldn't she say I had a lot? Went to see the breast surgeon whose comment was "I am under impressed" after the breast exam. Well, that was deflating. Lump still there but it most likely is a lymph node that responded to a blow in the chest from a slice of log spinning off the bandsaw. Screening mammography is less worrisome than finding a mass.
    Last edited by Laura912; 03-03-2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Aspiring Member
    It seems so crazy to be excited about this yet I totally get it and in so many ways am looking forward to the days when I need to have these tests as well. So happy for you being able to experience another aspect of being the real you!!