Thread: Seasonal dressing barriers, laziness, or perhaps just self induced excuses

Seasonal dressing barriers, laziness, or perhaps just self induced excuses

In a bit of self reflection, I find myself having a longer gap in dressing than normal, with some obvious connection to the seasonal fact that I keep a beard through the winter months, and it naturally seems to ruin my own mental image of dressing, so I don't do it when I have a beard. So, I find myself dressing less frequently (typically only when I shave the beard a few times through the winter) Although I guess there is no real reason I couldn't dress with a beard other than my own mental hangup, well, perhaps that I am sure a wig of longer hair would be more likely caught with it and any makeup efforts would be rather affected.

In the summer, dressing can be rather warm, unless I turn up the air conditioning, so it seems to be reduced then also (I do not dress outside the home).

I have the fortune of a SO who has no objection to my dressing, so I can't say that is a barrier.

So, as I think of it all, I can't help but wonder, is it just laziness on my part to not shave and go through the extra work to shave in the winter to dress, is it some less conscious desire to hang on to "manly" appearances, is there a dichotomy here somewhere, am I just avoiding the effort, am I just not as committed to my dressing as I am to other things, or justifying a reason to not dress. Although, I honestly have no reason not to do so.

A bit of rambling, likely less relevant than the thought I have given it here, but anyone else notice any similar trends in their own efforts?

Oh yeah. I've barely dressed up at all this winter. For me, personally, I think it might be seasonal depression or something along those lines. I just don't really have a lot of motivation. I have been buying new clothes, but I always feel like I have no opportunities to wear them lately. It also doesn't help that the weather is terrible and I can't go outside. (=_=')

The seasons have never affected my dressing. Just wear the proper clothes for whatever kind of weather you have. As for your seasonal ups and downs, there could be a number of reasons why you're affected this way. Possibly a little bit of each "excuse" you mentioned? You didn't mention fear........

This summer is more about gardening and home renovations - wife knows projects reduce my need to dress.
    Last summer was more fun in my summer dresses (but not as productive)
    Winter is normally an indoors & more boring time - so I dress more because it releaves the bordom.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Non-binary/Questioning
    I dress more in the summer because it's cold in the winter and I don't have the right clothes for the weather

Dressing is a lot of work, especially if you only dress at home and so have to change multiple times a day if you want to leave the house. And it's something you do for yourself, not for others. So if you don't feel like doing it, there's absolutely no reason you should have to. Who is it that will get mad at you for not dressing? Nobody.

But since you're concerned, I suspect you think that you'd be happier if you made the effort to keep it up more during the winter. And for all I know that's true. For instance: I'd probably be happier if I exercised more, but I don't. I choose where to focus my limited resources from day to day, and lots of times, exercise gets left out, but I don't beat myself up about it.

If you think there's something else you could take out of your life that would free up more resources, so you could put the effort in to dress more, then consider that. But if not, there is nothing wrong with any clothes you choose to wear at any time.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I grow a beard between dressing engagements out of the house. I have to remember to allow an extra 15 of prep time to shave and get my face make up ready

At home I always wear my beard and NO makeup when I dress. Like in my avatar!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I am fortunate, my beard growth is slow and I can go for 2 days without shaving.
    I can be lazy if I do not need to go out and let a bit of stubble grow.
    On the third day there is a purge and it all comes off.
    I really dislike the bearded lady look.
    As for seasonal dressing I do like shorts and singlet tops, In winter I can wear jeans and warm tops.
    Yes I do wear dresses and skirts as well.
    Probably to the same ratio as most other women.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

`I dress all the year round. If it is colder I add another layer just as I do in male clothes.

I love different seasons as it allows for a change in wardfobe for me. Winter is wonderful for camis and leggings when you are out and about watching hockey games, snow shoeing etc.
    I tis also much easier to keep the body shaved. The spring/summer season is full of tees/jeans and short skirts.

There have been similar threads in the past that go something like "I'm a crossdresser, but I haven't felt like dressing lately. What's wrong with me?"
    That's looking at it backwards. We are crossdressers because, driven by that internal desire, we crossdress. Not the other way around: I'm a crossdresser so I should be crossdressing.
    So why does the desire wane at times? For me, 1) my CDing is part-time. I enjoy being a guy and doing guy things. Occasional crossdressing does it for me. I don't need to crossdress every day. 2) Life gives and takes away opportunities to crossdress. So I crossdress when the desire and opportunity line up, and it doesn't bother me when they don't.

Winter doesn't affect my dressing although I have gone to girl jeans and sweaters this year. I used to wear 12inch mini skirts year round. There was snow on the ground one time. I had fueled up and went inside to get a soda, hot dog and pay. The cashier told me it was to cold for a mini skirt. We laughed and I went on my way. That was 15 years ago. Get cold easier now.

Platinum Member
    I'm an in-home cross dresser. The only barrier I have to wearing a dress is my wife's non acceptance. The realm of Don't Ask, Don't Tell normally limits my dressing. My wardrobe is rather extensive; 150+ dresses now. Our winters are mild relative to other parts of the country. Too much rain in the Great Pacific Northwest. When I have the opportunity I love being out all seasons. My wardrobe runs from winter sweater dresses and tights to summery ankle length sun dresses. Frankly, I could use some serious snow once in a while. During the summer it rarely gets "hot" with "high humidity" in Tacoma/Pierce County. I have lived in NYC with the baking heat of concrete and high humidity. Ugh! That weather is why I do not live there anymore. Wear a dress, bra and panty, slip, hosiery and wig and makeup during a heat wave of 100 degrees. Not a chance.

If I am going to emulate a woman I will shave and wear one of my wigs. That's my mindset. There are stretches when I do not have the desire to wear women's clothing. I will not force the issue.

Silver Member
    Here in the coastal area of SoCal, we have two seasons: green and brown. My dressing is the same for both.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I dress whenever the opportunity arises, what time of year it is makes no difference. Part of the fun is choosing different outfits depending on the weather or how hot or cold it is. I'm also always clean shaved, hate having any growth on my face.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I can dress in girl mode any time I choose so some months I will dress in girl mode most all month 24/7.
    Some months I will be my 50/50 guy/andro mode.
    No real reason other than choice.
    Just because you enjoy cross dressing doesn't mean you have to do it all the time.
    The "whats wrong with me" threads make me wonder can't this person figure out things on their own?

I am a CD. I crossdress when I feel like it when male mode is not necessary! I am me and I am comfortable with that! This is where everyone needs to be! No guilt and no worrying about your desire to dress. If it goes away don't worry, it will be back and possibly stronger than ever! Just my $.02! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Platinum Member
    Hi Jenn, It sounds like maybe you need a new hobby .oOOo.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Jenn, i think it really comes down to why you dress. For example in my case when i feel the need to dress nothing will put me off. Other times I have the opportunity but not the urge. It is not connected to weather, or anything else going on around me or in my life.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

you could be suffering the winter blue the short days do affect most people then spring comes warmer weather and more sun light we come alive and dress more
    hugs
    Ronda

It's been cold recently where I live, and I've been trying to find outfits that are stylish but still warm. What are your thoughts on wearing leggings under a skirt or a dress? Does it look okay or does it just look tacky?

I generally dress only in the winter, for a couple of reasons. First, during the summer, my sons are home from college so I don't have the opportunity to dress. Second, I like wearing pantyhose when I dress and it's far too warm during the summer to wear pantyhose. Plus summers means more skin to show and I generally do better with less skin showing (appendages to shave, guy's shoulders, and a farmer's tan are a combination of a few of the issues).

I'm like TheHiddenMe, I don't dress in the summer. I run very warm and all the stuff I wear to get my shape and hair is much too warm.
    Please call me Lisa!

It looks totally normal. Lots of girls do it.

Personal barrier ignored, decided to just go ahead and dress a day with beard and full makeup etc. Honestly, it isn't too bad. Feels same, can't see my own face anyway unless in I look in the mirror. Just feels good. Screw mental barriers