Thread: Last night

Last night

I thought some of you might like an upbeat piece of sunshine.

Last night something pretty cool happened.
    Few of us experience an easy transition. Many of us, at some point in our journey, build up one life as a male and another as a woman, and often the two lives are totally separate. Many of us have important people in our lives that do not truly know us or really understand anything about who we are inside. As we transition and “come out” the process of informing the important people can be scary...often terrifying. The prospect of losing those we love the most has kept many of us trapped in this double life for many years.
    So, last night a bridge was crossed.
    My dear, dear younger sister Chelsea is in transition. She lives with me and was an awesome friend when I was going through the trauma of losing my son last Fall.
    Her double life included many years as an extremely daring and rugged man, capable of taking up any sport and excelling.....from baseball to hockey to golf, hunting, whether with rifle or bow, motor cross enduro bike racing to cross country skiing, Chelsea earned immediate respect in every field she entered, and from some of the most rugged and masculine men around. Her list of close friends included Marines and mechanics, welders and bikers. So, it was with no little fear, as her body has changed this past year or so, that she embarked on the difficult task of trying to meld her two worlds into one authentic life, and in the process breaking the news to her male friends that the uber male they had known for so long was, in fact, a woman. Daunting would be an understatement.
    BTW...Chelsea doesn't talk about this stuff...her gruff, stoic side doesn't talk about her emotional stuff much at all.
    Well, last night something pretty cool occurred.
    A couple of months ago Chelsea was invited to a wedding. The daughter of one or her best and closest male friends was getting married. A girl that Chelsea has known since birth. So, this was the start. They have not seen her for months and months, during which her appearannce has changed radically to say the least.
    Whispered secrets spread from daughter to Mom. And ( no surprise to any of us that know her) the news was met with enthusiastic support. Chelsea was immediately informed by the girls that, for the wedding, Chelsea herself would be expected, and not her old alter ego.
    And, as expected, word began to spread among the balance of her old male friends. It has been difficult these past few weeks waiting to learn the repercussions from this revelation.
    Last night, early in the evening, Chelsea and I had some Invasion business at a local five star hotel. Afterward we stopped at the Apple for a quick drink. Shortly after we arrived her cell buzzed and she excused herself to take the call. A glance in her direction later, as she spoke on the phone, informed me it was no trivial conversation. Her face was serious and her eyes welling with tears. She returned a moment later and sat for a bit in stony faced silence. I was afraid something dreadful had occurred.
    After a beat she turned and a small smile crossed her lips, tears still in her eyes.
    “That call? That was the biggest, baddest, top Sergeant Marine I know. The uber male, alpha dog of all my male friends. He called to tell me that whatever I was doing....that whomever I am becoming..... that he would have my back...that I was one of the 'baddest' dudes he knew and that whatever came, we would still be tight”
    Before we could say anything else, her cell rang again. This time she got off quickly and said “Come on...we have to be somewhere in 20 minutes”
    A short drive away was a house occupied by a couple that have been Chelsea's friends forever. A couple, somewhat older, who have been, all at once, friends, drinking, hockey and hunting buddies, mentors and even surrogate parents at times. The parents of the bride. More than anyone else in her “tribe”, it was this couple...in particular this man.... whose friendship she feared losing.
    We walked in, into a home which has been a second home to Chelsea over the years. A huge dog happily greeted Chelsea......and so did both of the old friends who lived there. Greeted her warmly...happily....enthusiastically.... and with great, great love. We all sat and talked for a long time. And before long I looked over and Chelsea was kneeling on the couch next to her old friend....giddily engaged in conversation.....both laughing and smiling and reliving old memories.....as though her appearance there, dressed finally as herself, and for the first time dressed that way in the face of her greatest fears...had changed nothing...not a single thing. Nothing was lost. Nothing.
    Love is still love.
    And sometimes, as a dear friend once said to me, when you find yourself surrounded by awesome people, chances are you are one of them.
    Here's to my friend Chelsea...one of the “baddest” friends I have and one of the most awesome people I know.
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

OMG, awesome story!! I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. Way to go, Chelsea! Way to go Chelsea's friends!
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Ok i dont usually post here but have to, i was blubbering before i could finish it, KUDOS to Chelsea's friends, would love to hear or read more stories like this in the future
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Aspiring Member
    Add me to the list of girls with tears pouring down my cheeks from reading this. Amazing to hear stories like this. I wish we all could have this type of experience when we share ourselves with our closest friends and relatives. Good for her and for her friends for being so damned awesome!!

Sorry I don't want to hijack this thread but I would like to share a really good point my therapist made. I too, had that friend who I truly feared coming out to. I expected a bad reaction and got the opposite much like your sister's experience. When I brought up in my next therapy session how surprised it was that he was so awesome, my therapist said "well, maybe it shows how awesome you are in picking the right kind of friends". That point stuck with me and has given me the confidence to have the tough conversation with other people I thought might react poorly.

Bless you and Chelsea Sammie! Great story, and so happy for you two... Best always,

Your friend,

Jamie
    At the makeup counter

Sorry to step into a place I don't belong, but I felt compelled to say something.

First off, Sammy as you may or may not know, I have a soft spot for you as you helped me on my first time out. An eternal thank you for that (even though it had to be in Detroit, LOL)!

I grow tired of all the negativity that permeates the media and our culture in general. It has been my experience and now you have told a story that backs this up, that life is in fact good. People are, in fact, for the most part, accepting. Is it perfect? Hell, no. But if you live a good life, if you care for others, if you respect others, there is goodness out there and all we have to do is look for it and accept that it exists. We need to approach life looking for the good and not expecting the bad. Yes, sh@t happens......but then you read stories like this and you understand that we are all valuable, each in our own way. We are all worthwhile, in one way or another and let's all stop believing the media BS and start believing in people like Chelsea! Every single person has issues, no one is exempt from this. Life is not and never will be perfect, not for anyone. Our lives/issues are just the latest to have a light shined on them and with time, with us holding our heads up high, we can make that difference one person at a time.

Thank you Sammy for this ray of hope, for this story and for being who you are.

Ok, I'll excuse myself and go back to where I belong.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

If we were all as lucky as Chelsea, we would have nothing to fret about than what color polish would go with my outfit. So happy for her that she has TRUE friends in her life. And that includes you, Sammie!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Congratulations to your dear sister! this touched me deeply, and I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face.
    Thank you for sharing this!

I have not replied to much here in a long time just reading but tonight as i sit here crying my eyes out I am so happy for you both and to echo others Love is still out there Love is Love.

Awesome, I'm choked up too.

Damnit i just started estrogen, you cant post this sappy awesome stuff. Im getting all emotional here.

Estrogen or not, this is a story that brings out the tears and helps restore our faith in the goodness of the average person.

Hugs, Bria

I'm new enough here that I haven't properly introduced myself, but I just had to respond to this story.

As someone who has just started coming out to people outside of immediate family in the last month, and has only begun the process of transitioning a couple of months ago, I'd like to say that this is among the most inspiring things I have read anywhere. I really needed to see that story to believe that things might be a bit easier (hopefully) than I've been dreading.

Thank you so much! And good luck to you.

Awesomely wonderful.... ty for sharing....
    Enjoy our new life and seek peace Give love and kindness to others Live patience, self control, humility each day

Chelsea, you are anot inspiration to us all. Thank you! ��
    Marie

Aspiring Member Dana does shopping's Avatar
    Must be a measure of the 'person' Chelsea has always been for this un-qualified acceptance from those whom she regretted losing most ... reaping what was sown in a past time/existence ... again the measure of the 'person' she always has been?

Silver Member
    Why is my monitor's screen getting so blurry .. sniff, sniff? What a wonderful story of such a courageous sister and the people who love her! sniff. Bye. Gotta blow my nose.

Is Chelsea a forum sister?

Now I'm crying too. Awesome, inspirational and so heartwarming.

Alison X

What a touching story.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Hey Sis (not blood),

I am so happy for your real sister, and the great response she received from her long time friends. It is moments like that which can cause some irrevocable damage is it goes bad, but give such a boost of confidence and self worth when they go good.

They grow people up at the D the right way, don't they? Every one you introduced to me or talked about in a thread have been all stand up people.

Gretch