Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rock Stars vs Crossdressers

At the risk of pointing out the obvious... In the '70's it looked like we were quickly headed toward men and women dressing alike, wearing their hair alike, etc.. Somewhere along the way that stopped as quickly as it started (with the obvious exceptions). Although getting by with long hair throughout school wasn't much of a problem for me, it was for some. Still today, every year you hear of some boy having to cut his hair to abide by some school dress code. I will never understand that!

Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    Japan's J-rockers have a history of extreme crossdressing.
    There was even a Japanese crossdressing show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uaT...4qo8c-vfHbVnfu, where they took potentially feminine looking males in their teens or early 20's and made them up and dressed them as women. Then asked girls what they thought. Some even remarked that the guy looked verrrrry pretty. But when asked if she would date him, the response was always yes or maybe, but not dressed like that. I watched as many of those shows as I could. Only ONE woman was willing to date the guy as he was made up and dressed as a female. ONE. That's for AVERAGE men. Women will date all kinds of odd looking men when we have enough money. I refer you to the second half of the hot/crazy matrix, here: https://youtu.be/hKWmFWRVLlU?t=5m50s
    Yes, they will usually prefer a better looking male if all other things are equal. But a huge percentage will overlook appearances (and even put up with physical abuse and infidelity) as long as he has sufficient assets/status/power/income.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 03-09-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

It's interesting in these types of threads that no one mentioned the fact that there are a number of dress makers that size and tailor their fashions to fit Men. If your dress was made specifically for a man to wear, are you crossdressing or not?

Quote Originally Posted by deebra View Post
    Women aren't judged negatively when wearing men's
    Women are judged negatively for everything. What men's clothing are we getting away with wearing without judgment?
    "The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!” -- Jack Kerouac

@Penton: Point me to a significant retailer who is offering dresses for men who are not already crossdressers.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penton View Post
    It's interesting in these types of threads that no one mentioned the fact that there are a number of dress makers that size and tailor their fashions to fit Men. If your dress was made specifically for a man to wear, are you crossdressing or not?
    Why do people continue saying silly stuff like this?

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella111 View Post
    Women are judged negatively for everything. What men's clothing are we getting away with wearing without judgment?
    I wish I knew as well Gabriella, it seems deebra is all hung up on that notion.

Ah-May-Lee
    Yes Confucius, I love Mana, the clothes, the face, love it.

Boy George had his style before he became a rock star being one of the "Blitz Kids" As did Steve Strange of Visage.

Years back when I was just starting to realize I was a female, I was also into these bands and clubs back in the day. There was a mix of people dressing in styles that could be considered cross dressing or at least androgynous in style. Some of the more wacky parts of the NYC scene came from Michael Alig and the club kids. I thought the way we lived in the clubs back then would shape the future for others to be themselves and have fun. But sometimes there is a too serious tone to things today,, it seems like too many rules on how one should live. Seems there are too many arguments/debates on who is a cd, who is a transsexual, who can be transgender and who isn't considered one of these groups, and I guess there will be more sub grouping in the future to further the arguing.. I think the rock stars and the people in clubs in my day just did what they wanted and skipped reading the rule book. They just lived their lives to having fun and didn't worry what people thought. I know this would be tough for people with family and jobs, but that is why these others are rock stars and not accountants.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Great points Amelie. I had forgotten about how the Blitz Kids evolved into what was wider known as New Romantic. Spandau Ballet was the most successful band to come out of the Blitz scene who along with Visage (RIP Steve Strange) were probably the two acts which fit under both banners (New Romantic later included more bands, some very well known including Duran Duran). Boy George was Blitz but Culture Club were rarely accused of being New Romantic.

And I agree with your points as to how youth tends to do what they will without regard to labels and such. But at the same time, most of those same kids grow up to be accountants among other things and they leave behind those club styles. And I still maintain that as gender-bending or androgynous as the club scene can be (whether Blitz, Club Kids, etc), very little of that (if any) approximated the CD/TG looks we see in these pages. Just as the musicians who blurred gender lines generally don't adopt "our" looks either.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

2 summers ago I was out seeing my favorite band, who were playing in Philly. And the lead singer Mike came out in a bright blue cocktail dress. I was so proud of him, as it was always known he was into the fetish scene, but he's never really come out as a CD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ptp2w6DcEM

It wasn't at all mere showmanship. Later that year pictures began to surface of him in various fetishy crossdress in his scene, even as a bride. Then last year he came out with a great song on the new record called "I'm a Transvest-lite." where he comes out about his lifetime of casual 'lazy' crossdressing in catchy rhyme and a punk beat.

This is a definite awesome song about crossdressing if you've never heard it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgEsf8JYqVA

"I'm A Transvest-Lite"

I first heard Frank say
    He wanted to dress like Faye Wray
    I wanted that too but what could I do
    In junior high school in LA?
    My heart skipped in the scene
    He said you gotta be it, not just dream
    It was a taboo I knew I wouldn't pursue
    I didn't have the self-esteem

I gotta confess that I like to cross dress
    And I've been doing it since I was 13
    It's hard to tell bros that you wear women's clothes
    Even in the “open-minded” punk scene
    You'd probably get hurt in heels and a skirt
    When you're in the middle of a circle pit
    So I'd only wear panties under boxers to keep it all a secret
    Now I'm telling everyone 'cause it's fun and I don't give a shit

Forward 30 years
    I still had the same fears
    Then I saw Hedwig play at Bilgewater's gig
    And I felt the same envy and tears
    I decided right there
    I can't be bothered to care
    What other people think, I'm gonna dye my pubes pink
    And throw out all my Hanes underwear

I'm not transgender, I'm a lazy crossdresser
    Who thinks makeup is too much of an ordeal
    I paint my toes and wear shiny tight clothes
    Not for the look, but how it makes me feel
    I don't need things just right, I'm a tranvest-lite
    I only shave to do the Time Warp midnight Saturday
    I'm done with self-pity, I don't have to feel shitty
    'Cause I wanna look pretty, so I give it the old city College try
    Don't get me wrong, I still wanna be a guy
    Who sometimes likes to dress like a girl
    (He sometimes likes to wear diamonds and pearls)
    Don't think I don't know I'm not fooling anyone
    (He's a cross between Adele and Charlie Chaplin)
    You gotta know it's not just girls who just wanna have fun!
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Ah-May-Lee
    That song was cool Wen, sort of sounded like Dead Milkmen. I liked it.

I sometimes think people from Japan have some cool bands and styles. Sometimes I think they are a bit ahead of us on culture that we sort of gave them in the first place.

I just love Mana, style clothes, face and the music. I am sort of like Mana when I am out I rarely speak to people.

In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Hehe, I love everything about Mana and MM - except the music, which isn't to my taste. But I do love the visuals and the film-making.

Japan is definitely a powerhouse of aesthetic prowess and especially of 'girly' imagery, you can't walk down the street or in any subway without images of young girls constantly blasted at you in a sensory overload. (Spent a few days there last year, it was nice.)

The preoccupation with aesthetics is maybe a bit too much - to the detriment of other things. I once watched a beautiful Japanese archer in traditional dress do a wonderful dance with a bow and flowing robes, etc, stunningly aesthetic ...and then she proceed to miss the target three times in a row at 40 feet. But she looked good doing it.

If you were to stand right at the centre of Japanese fashion and culture, which is a popular walking alley in Harajuku, in the middle of Tokyo called 'Takeshita Dori', and look in some of the trendiest shops to your left and right, amongst all the pretty dresses you will also see things that can't be unseen: lots of swastikas, (and not the buddhist ones, you commonly see around the temples there, but the nazi one, and iron crosses, and other nazi stuff) and signs under them in English that say "foreigners get the hell out." "Japanese only" "Go away filthy tourists," etc. Japan has a seedy underbelly beneath all the glitz.

Still, the good far outweighs the bad, and most regular people are very kind. I would go back there any time.

edit: You're right! Mike does sound similar to the guys in Dead Milkmen, with that precocious, slightly whining Jewish punkrocker guy voice. Now I gotta go dig out Beelzebubba again.
    Last edited by Wen4cd; 03-18-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    BTW..
    The only self proclaimed CD- DQ rocker that I am aware of is "Boy George"

In fact, when asked for a comment about his Grammy win, he playfully said in effect that it was about time that "a drag queen" got that award.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 03-18-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Keith Caputo (Life Of Agony) transitioned in 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mina_Caputo

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaMc View Post
    Kurt Cobain used to wear a dress.
    On the In Utero CD, Dave Grohl is in drag, which he does in MULTIPLE Foo Fighter videos.

I liked Robert Plant's androgynous look in the early '70s. The tops he wore and the blonde curly hair were very fem. His gestures and stage moves were a bit fem too.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...604e55a0b5.jpg
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I put little stock into the idea that what rock stars and other celebrities wear in public is a reflection of their gender identity. More likely is that they dress newly different in order to get attention. It works.
    I'd rather be appreciated and remembered for cranking out great music than for a fashion gimmick. (Neither will happen, though)