Thread: That "Aha" moment!

That "Aha" moment!

Hi everybody,
    I was having a conversation with one of the ladies on this forum about goals in CD. I didn't realize that my 'goal' was the "Aha" moment. That is to say, that instant in time when you look in the mirror and see someone else looking back. I guess it's a time of total convergence, when your makeup, hair, wardrobe, and attitude all meet up in total agreement. An epiphany of sorts.
    Well, my "Aha" moment happened last night! And I owe it all to the woman in the cosmetics dept. at the Walgreen's I stopped at to pick up some lip liner. Her makeup was flawless, and I just came out and asked her for suggestions about what I could do for my look. Yes, I outed myself to a complete stranger! And it felt good!!! Anyway, she recommended some products, and told me that she would gladly do a makeover on me, if I'd like. Since I was unshaven, in boy mode, I told her that we could set something up for this coming week.
    So I got home, shaved, etc., and got busy. When I got done, with everything, I turned and did a quick reveal pose in the mirror. I had no idea who it was that was looking back at me!! My oh my! My eyes were still a mess, but everything else was nearly perfect. I was having a hard time holding back the tears, as I was so elated. After I calmed myself, it was time for pictures of some of the new things I bought over the last few weeks (including a new wig.) I really wished that I would have had someplace to go, and now I have to hope I can do it again.
    P1010039.jpgP1010044.jpgP1010050.jpg

Good for you Geena

I like the shorter hair on you, looks nice.
    All the outfits are cute but especially the ones with the blue and the black skirts are very nice.

- Suzie

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    That aha moment is awesome when it happens good for you Geena.
    A small tip if its OK don't hide your face with your hair and smile more.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I had that moment when I got my first wig. Bought it, rushed home, got some make up on and suddenly it all fell into place. Instead of a guy with lipstick on there was Diane (actually 'Julie' at the time...) staring back at me from the mirror. I almost cried too. Love the outfits btw.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Good for u, Geena!

Altho, if your's was an, "Aha", moment? Try wearing a mask! Talk about seeing someone different?

I guess I have an, "OMG!", moment every time I dress!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Platinum Member
    Hi Geena, I can see why you were having an aha moment.

O'Yes I can relate to what you were feeling when I see that pretty lady smiling at me......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Silver Member
    Such Aha moments are truly wonderful, Geena. Now, you gotta tell us about your pending makeover with your new friend... your place or hers, dressed en femme, what you were wearing ... the whole nine yards! Don't keep us waiting too long, Please!

Quote Originally Posted by Geena Gee View Post
    I didn't realize that my 'goal' was the "Aha" moment. That is to say, that instant in time when you look in the mirror and see someone else looking back.
    I'm left with the question: who did you see looking back at you? Was it someone else, or was it you for the first time? When I had that moment what I saw was me for the very first time in my life. That's what shook me out of being "just a crossdresser" and sent me on the transgender journey. But I always wondered if that "shock of recognition" was universal or if some just see someone they don't recognize looking back.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I had that moment when I got my transformation! Pat, I saw Lana Mae first and since that is me I guess I saw me! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Lovely post, and congrats on the "Aha!" moment, Geena!

Now, as for that last line in your post...you know, the one about having no place to go?...make your appointment with that supportive cosmetician at Walgreen's ASAP and run - don't walk - to avail yourself of the expert makeover session that she offered you. If you thought that the first reveal was an "Aha!" moment, just wait and see who will be staring back at you after a professional make up artist has had an opportunity to work on you.

Tears of joy won't even begin to describe it...

I still remember my "Aha moment".

I was in Houston on business, and I had a free day. I was getting a makeover at "Vanity's". I watched in the mirror as she applied concealer and (face) makeup, and I'm thinking, "Ho Hum. Looks like a guy wearing makeup." She turned me away from the mirror and did my eyes and then applied my lipstick. Then, she spun me around facing the mirror, and facing me was a beautiful woman who I didn't recognize. The guy wearing makeup has disappeared. It was over 7 years ago, but I'll never forget it.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Wow, now I'm motivated to get a makeover!
    You are you. You are beautiful. Labels are worthless.

I've yet to have the "Aha" moment you did Geena, so I'm both curious and happy for you. When you mentioned being pleased with everything but your eyes, it reminded me that I'm frequently disappointed with my makeup skills, but happy with everything else. I see "me" when I look in a mirror, as I consider myself a work in progress.

I got great help from an artist at Sephora recently, so I'll second Leslie's suggestion that you make and keep an appointment with the artist you encountered. It will likely put that "finishing touch" on your "Aha" moment, and who knows where you'll go once you leave that Walgreen's store.

Karen

I had been CDing for years, dressed fully with makeup, wig etc., never had that Aha moment until I had transformation at True Colors.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

My profile pic is from my first ever makeup session with Amanda of True Colors.

I have had several makeup sessions with Amanda since that first session.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 03-12-2017 at 10:59 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Platinum Member
    Congratulations on finding the resolve to ask for help at Walgreens that night. I can we,lol imagine how vulnerable you felt in that moment.

I suppose each of us discovers something different about ourselves in such moments. I recall several moments or reaching particular milestones, each gave me a bit more confidence that I could do this. I think the most compelling moment was getting fitted for my third wig...everything kinda fell together.

I too had never experienced an "aha" moment, until my wonderful wife, who's done some modeling and knew all the makeup tricks, gave me a makeover. I couldn't wait to look in the mirror. When I did...wow and wow 🎉💥💁 She showed me her makeup "tricks". Now, after a lot of fun practice, practice, practice... I've had many aha moments.

So, I tried to recreate the aha moment last night. And I took a little advice from what you ladies had said about smiling more, and the shorter skirts. As for the makeup, I figured that less is more. Kept the eyeliner and shadow to a minimum, used a lighter foundation, and didn't get carried away with my brows.
    Also, I'd like to address one of the above comments from Pat... nothing bad, I promise you. Pat, you presented me with the classic "chicken or the egg" scenario. Well, we're both in here, male and female. But to answer your question, the male part of me finally saw a glimpse of what I imagined Geena to be.
    P1010039.jpg

=Geena

Silver Member
    I recall my first "Aha" moment, but unlike you, it felt like "I never knew I could look as nice as this"

I had called ahead to me favorite dress shop, asking for my SA to set up a fitting appointment. Quite a bit like a personal shopper session but perhaps more casual. I got to the store a bit ahead of schedule, so I browsed a bit until my SA was finished helping someone else. I spotted one dress that looked like it might work on me, but balked at the price tag.

When the SA was ready for me, she had picked out about a dozen pieces for me to try, all waiting for me in the fitting room. It went as normal, some good, some "no way" etc. At the end she handed me the same dress I had spotted for myself and I put it on. Immediately, I was like "OMG OMG OMG!" I could not believe how I looked, how I felt, and how I could not stop looking in the mirror. We still talk about that moment, even though it was at least 3 years ago. Unfortunately, my dress was very expensive, and I had to leave it behind until they reduced the price some. That took a few months, and it was an agonizing wait. To this day, I'm in love with that dress, for how it makes me look and feel and for the memory of that first try on.

My "aha moment" came when I bought my wig. Up to that point, I always saw "myself" in the mirror whenever I looked into it with my old wig on. All the makeup in the world couldn't hide "me". the minute I put my new wig on, "Me" was gone. it really was quite a moment. That's why I will always have the same wig if possible because it worked that well.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

While I enjoy the transformation process, my ahah moment seems to during and after I put on my lipstick which is the last thing I do to my face. Everything else after that just builds on that moment. Getting dressed, wig etc. But then I get a second ahah moment when I put on my heels! Hoping to discover even more!
    Last edited by Iris Tse; 06-24-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Typo

I don't recall a specific AHA moment. The guy gradually faded away as the girl came into sharper and sharper focus. He is (and always was) a stranger. She is me, the only thing that's real.