Thread: Traveling by air? Yes, the Backscatter X-ray can see your bra.

Banned Read only

Traveling by air? Yes, the Backscatter X-ray can see your bra.

I seriously did not think it would as it's not an underwire, but as soon as I saw the big grins on the two female TSA agents running the machine I knew. Worst yet they pulled me over for a pat-down. A male TSA agent said "We had an alarm on your back.", (I am guessing the hook and eyes) then had me turn around facing the two grinning female agents and ran his hand down the center of my back, then from the center out right on my bra a couple times. He said "I can feel something going across your back", I simply looked him straight in the eye and said "I am wearing a bra", he just said "okay" and let me go.

So it's not something that is going to get you on a "no fly" list, but be prepared as they do not give under-dressers the same leeway about metal hardware on underwear as they do for a GG.

I don't know, maybe if it was actually an underwire bra they would have let it go because it was obviously a bra?

Anyone else have any TSA stories to share?

Platinum Member
    Hi Roberta, I would think there is nothing that surprises the TSA people any more..**..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Phew! Another potential terrorist attack nipped in the bud.

As a frequent traveler I could write a short novel on TSA experiences good and bad. Believe it or not many GG's will give you the same feedback regarding TSA that many of us have experienced.

There was a point at which I grew really tired of participating in unwarranted pat downs, groping, rubbing and questioning. So I went and got my TSA Pre Pass / KTN and now I just breeze thru the airport and the only thing I have to remove is my vest / blazer otherwise the process is simple as they look at your ID to see if the name matches your airline tickets and if so away you go after a quick pass thru a metal detector.

But one thing I have encountered at some airports is that during slow travel days / smaller airports sometimes the TSA pre pass lane is not manned and you end up going through security with he rest of the herd. But even so nothing bad has resulted recently, my real thoughts are that TSA finally got all of their staffs trained on focusing on security vs. gender and attire.

Things have gotten much better over the last say 18 months or so with TSA regarding trans people / cd's if you ask me.

TSA employees like to have fun, so if my bra straps and pretty hair put's smiles on their faces that is good thing because our visibility leads to further acceptance
    Way too Girly ! I couldn't smell the smoke, and now I'll watch the flames

Out on Parole ......Woo Hoo

Things make better sense when you have a female pic on your ID that matches the person in front of them.

[QUOTE=Lauri K

I was traveling for work one time, do the TSA PreCheck, was underdressed, with male attire presenting, including a sweatshirt. I was "randomly" selected to go through the scanner, and it detected the bra, came clean about it, and he let me go. No questions asked. So, just because you do the TSA PreCheck, doesn't give the "free reign" like some people would think.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 03-07-2017 at 01:03 AM. Reason: didn't need quote to respond

I went through Sydney airport recently and saw the hotspots showing on the x-ray screen
    I am always given a pat-down because both my hips are metal and set off the alarms but this time they were more interested in my chest (breasts!) and back.
    The pat-down was no trouble, they could feel the bra, and were very professional and gave me a thumbs up as they let me go..

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Its your sexiness that gets the agents all flustered LauriK

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by rebeca_abigail30 View Post
    I was traveling for work one time, do the TSA PreCheck, was underdressed, with male attire presenting, including a sweatshirt. I was "randomly" selected to go through the scanner, and it detected the bra, came clean about it, and he let me go. No questions asked. So, just because you do the TSA PreCheck, doesn't give the "free reign" like some people would think.
    Actually we had TSA pre-check both directions and still had to go through the scanner just like everyone else.

I am not really sure what Pre-check gets you except for a shorter line to wait in for the scanner.

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    The scanner will pick up the hooks on back, the strap adjusting piece and the plastic or metal connecting pieces. Now I put the bra in my carry on, and put it in after going through the screening process.

I may be a party pooper, I prefer not to wear a bra when in drab and going through airport security. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.