Thread: Ever been to Carla's in San Jose?

Aspiring Member

Ever been to Carla's in San Jose?

Anyone on this forum ever been to Carla's in San Jose, CA? Thoughts? Comments? I have the opportunity to visit this month and am looking forward to being able to dress outside my house or hotel room for the first time in 17 years. Last time I dressed outside my house was attending a support group meeting of CD's. It has been a very long time. If I were to say I was not nervous would be an understatement.

Also, has anyone ever gone to David's Bridal to purchase a wedding gown? They are having their $99 sale and it is on my bucket list to own a wedding gown. I would love to go into the store and try on many gowns and then say Yes to the Dress... Would love to hear about your experience with the sales staff. Is there a private area for trying on the gowns so you are not out in public?

Yes I have been. Carla's is owned by a very pleasant and helpful person. She offers a variety of services. I was there on a Saturday in the late afternoon and there were several other CD's there, some having their nails done etc. The atmosphere was very pleasant. I highly recommend it. Make an appointment though if you need help in dressing or preparing. I am sure you will be made very welcome.

I went there several times twenty years ago, before I left the bay area. Enjoyed the experience.
    [SIZE="3"]
    *** Barbie Lanai ***
    [/SIZE]

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    How could a place called Carla's be anything but fabulous!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

This place is great. I had my first makeover there in 2004. The owner is Aejaie Franciscus. She is transgender and really nice. They have some really nice bras and panties there as well as some sex toys and other lingerie. You will feel right at home there. The atmosphere is very comfortable.

Aspiring Member
    thank you for all the replies. I am so looking forward to this visit. I have struggled on what I want to wear. I will probably take a couple of outfits along. I would love to drive down to Carla's dressed but I will probably chicken out and just change when I get there...

I thoroughly enjoyed my visits to Carla's when I visited the San Jose area. I love the Thursday lunch she used to host I do not know if this still occurs

If you don't mind not worrying about passing, and want to be out and about just enjoying who you are, I'd be happy to go out with you during the day here in the Bay Area! Lot's of great things to do here and room to be ourselves.

I'd be glad to help you navigate David's and choose a dress. I only live about 25 mins away from the Colma store if you are in the area.
    Last edited by phili; 03-06-2017 at 09:39 AM.
    We are all beautiful...!

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Can someone give me carla s address ?Would like to check it out next time I'm the bay area.

Here is a link to their website with their new address.

http://www.carlas.com/

Aspiring Member
    phili - thank you very much for the kind offer but I will have to decline. I work during the day while I am visiting the area so going out during the daytime can not happen. Also, I am not passable and have not tried to be passable. Maybe someday soon I will take advantage of Carla's transformation service and give it a try. I would feel better having gone through a complete transformation and going out in public versus me trying to do it myself and being an epic fail. I feel safe when I am in an enclosed area surrounded by other CD's etc.. but out in public and not passable, not. 17 years ago I would be on business trips and would go into adult stores in heels or wear a woman's bathing suit and go swimming in the pool at the hotel...but with everyone having a cell phone these days and instantly uploading photos to the net, I am ever caution on my dressing. I do not want to end up on an internet meme.

I was excited when my new job required me to make trips out to SF area. I knew i was going to an area where CD is more acceptable. I have been visiting Carla's site for months now and finally have the opportunity to visit.

I also have taken advantage on my trips of going to thrift stores and increasing my collection of dresses while I am visiting the area. A girl loves to shop.

Again, Phili, thank you very much for the offer. The nicest people I have ever met have been on forums and support groups.

I went there in 2009. Aejaie was fabulous. I was alone and wanted to dress for the first time outside my home. She was very understanding and had thousands of garments to choose from. I was super nervous and felt a mixture of feelings being dressed in front of someone else, from absolute embarrassment to elation and giddiness. I felt like I betrayed myself being a man, but was compelled to explore my feminine side.

We talked about whether I am CD or TG. She felt I was CD, but have since become TG for sure. It was a huge step for me and really expanded my desire to dress in public. I wanted desperately to attend her socials, but lived just a little too far away. To this day I would still like to do that.

Just wanted to reinforce that AEJAIE is truly a lovely person and for Stephanie or anyone else thinking of going there I would say that you are not only in safe hands but in caring hands.

I've never been there but I'll check it out next time I'm in CA.

Aspiring Member
    Well. I made it. Did not chicken out. First time out in 17 years. Very nice host/clerk. Brought a bunch of outfits to wear during my time here. Thanks to everyone that responded to this thread.