Thread: Jumping in the deep end of the pool

Jumping in the deep end of the pool

So another post from the journal of the recently transitioned.... I am posting this to attempt to pay it forward for those considering how they may want to transition. I have a group of about a dozen friends ( you know you you are ) that are all post transition and they have been immensely helpful. Also I have an excellent therapist and I will take some of the credit for finally finding the courage.

My advice may not be right for everyone but I strongly recommend it or at least considering it. I have read previously on this forum about individuals planning their transition and making their day of full time transition / and - or / name change court etc the same day as their first day out in public. I guess for someone wired very differently than me that could work but I strongly believe it is an approach that should be given deep thought.

I could not possibly have made my first day out in public the same day as my full time transition. To me the thought is terrifying and it was really driven home yesterday on day 4 of my full time transition. I could not have handled yesterday if I had not been part time for 8 months. Well at least for a while maybe not exactly 8 months.

The reason I so strongly advocate part time before full time is that it takes time and experience before learning how to be comfortable ( or at least not terrified ) in public and learn how to interact with people while dealing with your nerves.

I am trying to challenge myself and do exactly the same activities as though I had not transitioned. So yesterday I went to my fitness center where I lived to workout. I was not all prettied up with make up jewelry and feminine clothes - but having my hair done and eyebrows tinted and nails polished it was obvious I am trans. That was scary to see the neighbors but I did it. Then I went to donate my male clothing and shopped. Then I stopped at work and dealt with a transphobe who was one of the first to not be cool with my transition - most people have. Then I went to a movie at a crowded theater on a Saturday night.

Ok my courage was spent for the day a pretty good day for my 4th day in transition I pushed myself and did OK. But here is the point....... then late night I get a phone call from the catering company where I work as the marketing manager. They desperately needed me to come in and take a couple of deliveries including one to a large hotel. I had no intentions of doing this for at least several more weeks until I was more comfortable but then you know what?...... Life happened.... my plans were no longer in place. The unexpected came up. I could have said no but it was slightly my fault they were in that position so I agreed to go in. I was not mentally prepared to do this yet. Take deliveries to strangers at a variety of places and interact significantly with strangers. It went fine but.....

I could have never handled it so soon after a day of pushing and challenging myself if I had not gone part time before going full time. That is the point of part time.... it gets you ready to handle the unexpected things that come up in life and will continue to do so even post transition. If you are thinking of going full time one day like flipping a light switch I ask that you at least give it more thought. Maybe overnight full time is right for you but if it is you are a much stronger woman than I am. And I think I am pretty courageous. Hope this helps someone and that I am paying it forward for all of those that have helped me.
    Kim

Congrats on making this journey.

I definitely suggest the part time route.

I started by going out to Lesbian clubs on weekends. I worked shift work. I started going out in the day shopping, scary at times in the light of day. Back in those days I only wore dresses or skirts, so the just getting used to heels for hours on end. Also did the movies, going to museums and just sightseeing.
    I even took some classes on machine sewing and needle craft work. Great for being with other women.
    Going out to non-LGBT clubs. Did have to learn how to avoid too intimate times with men. Having to go to the washrooms with lots of other women.

I was pretty much full time but work. When I started full time at work, I was still a bit worried but everyone there saw my physical changes so it was very good.

Aspiring Member
    Obviously I'm early in my transition, so reading about your experience is great. I can't even imagine trying to go immediately full-time. Over the last few months I've been pushing myself more and more to be out in authentic mode, and as you noted, each time is a learning experience. I'm getting better but it is nice to have the safety net of going back to pretending to be a male if things get to be too much. I'm spending more and more time out in public for longer and longer stretches but I'm definitely nowhere near ready for full time. I'm glad I'm starting off with smaller bites first.

Kim
    I am so happy for you!!!! You have planned well and executed the plan. We do not have to hide and we deserve respect. You are living that principle. I know there will be times that you feel all alone. Know that we are with you!
    Love
    Suzanne
    Life Is One Big Dilation

Kim,

I am in agreement with what you are saying. Right now I am basically full time except for work. My date going full time 24/7 is by July 1. Hope to make it sooner but no later. I have been using this time to put myself thru many tough situations. One is going to an auto repair place to have my car serviced, and another one was going to an auto parts store to get a battery replaced. I figured I had no business considering transitioning if I could not handle the tough situations I put myself thru. Many times it would be tempting to handle a situation in male mode, but I knew if I was going to transition that I had to do with real life situations en femme, no matter how tough they may be. Testing myself has given me faith I can handle being full time.

Grace

Thanks Suzanne for your note and everything else

Lisa and Grace just from reading your notes I have great faith you can do this. There is just something in your tone and how you describe it that tells me you both ' got this'.
    Best Wishes
    Kim

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Sounds like everything is going swimmingly, Kim!

I'm planning for the day when I, too, will go full-time. I'm presenting as Amy all weekends now, and working on my "light" makeup looks for part of that time. I've been on HRT 4 weeks thusfar, and have just gotten my first "escalation" in dosage levels, as my doctor ramps me up slowly. (I don't feel much different yet, which must mean that this is right for me, or I would have gotten the heebie-jeebies early on!) My company's HR department is supportive of me, and everyone around me is as well, especially my fiancee/registered domestic partner. I'm coming up with lists of everything I will have to change over when I change my legal identity: of course, the "Big Three" are my legal name change, driver's license gender marker change, and birth certificate change, but there'll be a bunch of other things that need changing, too.

I'm definitely being cautious; I've been working towards this for four years, what's six months or so more?

I hope both of us continue smoothly on the paths we have set for ourselves!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Onward You Go Brave Sister!!!! it has been so great to see you blossom and come so far!!!

Hugs!!!

A
    Have you seen the little pieces of the people we have been?... Little pieces blowing gently on the wind... 11:11

Thank you Kim for this thorough post - it brought to the surface something that's been in the back of my mind. By the way, I just started HRT last week! I totally agree with the part time outings in prep for full time. Before I came to accept my trans-ness, I was going out in public as a CD under fairly controlled conditions, i.e. planned outings both during the day and night. This has been a great confidence booster as well as thickening my skin a little. Plus I just loved it!

What really resonated for me in your post though is the mental preparation to transition during "unplanned" circumstances. I've dabbled in that some already - 75% of the time I present as female when I see my therapist. One day I just got a bad start - I think it was related to foundation and where I was in my beard growth cycle between laser sessions. I just did not feel pretty at all but I told myself to girl up and go and I did. Talked to my therapist about it even - she was proud, giving me a little "welcome to the girl club" nod that it happens.