Thread: Looking to speak with teachers who have transitioned on the job.

Looking to speak with teachers who have transitioned on the job.

So to start, In discussions with my gender therapist it was suggested that I reach out to other teachers who have transitioned while on the job. Specifically high school or middle school. Not so much post secondary.

In this regard I have reached out to the usual organizations (GLSEN, GLAAD, etc.) with the hopes that teachers, specifically MTF, who have transitioned during their career would be able to lend some advice from those who have gone before me.

I am out to several colleagues, and I don't really anticipate issues with other colleagues or the administration. I am mainly concerned with the distractions to the students, who mostly know me as androgynous (hair length, earrings, painted nails, mannerisms) but still refer to me as Mr. But mostly it's the parents I am concerned about. Despite being in a very progressive area and school system, still a transgender person working with their children always raises concern.

What I am looking for is to talk with teachers who have transitioned. And yes, I would like to limit it to teachers, or other individuals who primarily work with school aged children on a daily basis.

Christine.
    Last edited by Chrissi; 03-13-2017 at 01:40 AM.

Hi Chrissi- Do a google search for Nicole Kintz- Many articles about my transition at school- I transitioned the fall of 2009 after being there 20 years. Taught as Nicole my last 6 years, which were my best years out of the 36 I taught at various high schools. I would be lying if I told you it went smoothly, but it went much better than I thought it would! High school math teacher- I would be happy to answer any questions you have- I am now retired, but still tutor students- Ask away! (West Coast-Oregon)

Nicole
    Always fill your own cup first...

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Nicole thank you so much for your response, would you mind if I PM you instead of here in this thread?
    Christine
    Smile! You'll always brighten someone's day, including your own from their return smile!

Not at all Chrissi- I'm here for you!

Nicole
    Always fill your own cup first...

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
    - Mohandas Gandhi