Thread: On the job.

On the job.

A while back I posted about some issues with my "Boss" at work.

Well, I kind of got in a dig on him.

The other day, I was helping one of my regular customers and she knows about me and she really enjoys chatting with me when she comes in to shop.

My "Boss" was at the other end of the isle and overheard her call me Ma'am and so on.

Well, he decided to step in and blatantly used male pronouns and tried to correct the lady, and asked me "Why I didn't correct her."

I smiled and simply stated, "The customer is always right."

My customer thanked me for helping her and went about her shopping in stern silence.

He just looked at me confused and had to leave because he was paged for assistance somewhere else.

Just before my customer went to check out, she hunted me out to ask me who she could call about him. So, I gave her the name and number to contact our District Manager.

Today, I was heading upstairs to print some signs for some displays and a coworker was coming down and told me I really didn't want to go upstairs for a bit because our District Manager was in the Managers office ripping into our "Boss' for some reason.

I had to finish my task before I went onto the next one. So, I went up and heard the yelling.
    While I was finishing, they exited his office. My customer was WITH them in the office.

She winked at me and left.

Sometimes, it's nice to watch what happens around you. I've been watching people where I work dig their own graves and force themselves to take their own dirt naps in them.

I can now safely say that I can count my customer as an ally.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Good on you Emma Beth. What you sew, so shall you reap. I also love to watch people dig their own graves, blissfully unaware that they are standing in them the whole time.

Platinum Member
    I think its an appropriate response. I just hope it works out for you in the long run!

There are certain situations where a reaction from us is not necessary, because the offender will eventually dig their own grave so to speak! Good work and I would love to know what happens in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Well played, young lady. Well played indeed.

Victory !!!.......

Aspiring Member
    Now THAT was a fun story to read. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the victory. Should be interesting to see if his behavior changes now.

Untitled
    Karma can be a bitch, especially when she is on your side
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Nigella,

Over the years I have seen and noticed that Karma is a relentless bitch keeping score and doling out ironic tidbits of synchronicity. Then dropping the hammer in the next life.

For me the greatest part was the expression on his face when I told him the customer is always right.

I just wish this sequence of events had happened in such a way as to get me that promotion I was up for. Before this happened, I was informed that I was the official temp back up for my department and I would get paid for it until the person he chose is transferred in from another store.
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

well done emma ,
    some time back I was at a wal mart and noticed a c/d I had seen around town, now she was well dressed but could not hide the beard shadow which was quite visible, an s/a and some others were in the aisle and as the lady passed made some off color remarks towards her loud enough to hear, the lady all but ran out of walmart ,I went up to the mgr's office and had a chat asking about walmarts diversity policy ,to which he replied he was not sure if there was one, I told him of the incident and told him of the customer running out,that there was no excuse for the s/a to behave in the manner in which she did,no matter her personal beliefs they should not be espoused in public in the manner she had exhibited ,the mgr called her in and basically told her in no uncertain terms that behavior of her type was un acceptable , I wa assured by the mgr that further action would be taken , so again emma good show your mgr will most likely get his --sooner than he thinks
    hugs phylis anne

Awesomely Karmic. You go girl.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

As a side note. I have noticed a lot of discrepancies in our ordering and inventory system.

I'm currently taking time stamped photos of the data integrity issues so I can address these confidentially with someone higher up.

I have compared notes with someone else and it looks like something that Manager is doing with the system. I personally suspect he may be engaging in unethical behaviors like padding his bonuses or something.

When I bring this up and give proof of what I have been noticing over the last two years, I'm not going to outright make any accusation. I'm just going to point out the issues and let Corporate handle it all on their own and take whatever action they require.
    Has nothing to fear

Rock meet Hard Place.

After two years on the job I hope this gives you some backing to stand on. Go Get'em!

Hi Emma,

Not sure about how your employer handles un-ethical behaviour but what happens in my company is that if you notice something "wrong" then you don't need to sort out what. We are told to bring it up and then they will investigate.

Point I'm getting at is you don't really need anything more than you have already, higher up should be able to take what you have an run with it.

P.S agree that karma, especially the instant version, can really put a smile on ya dial.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Peta; in theory, that's how things are supposed to work where I work.

However, you get people like the Manager where I work and he get's "IN" with certain people higher up and then when you send things up the chain of command, it either gets stopped cold or the Employee gets labeled the problem and nothing gets properly taken care of.

A lot of people where I work just don't understand, you have to very carefully pick your battles or you get burned very badly.

It's something akin to the "Men's Club", as it were.
    Has nothing to fear

Rock meet Hard Place.

yeah that is always a problem. Does your company have an "ethics" division. Where I work if you don't want to go to someone in the chain of command, you can go to this separate department that will handle it.
    They have authority over everyone up to the CEO.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

I think we do.

Getting contact information seems to be problematic. Hard to know who to trust enough. I've heard tell that the Union can't or won't do what they are supposed to be doing, etc.

I won't give up and if all else fails, I'll sit back and watch things come crumbling down. It's happened before, just not with such a big fish.
    Has nothing to fear

Rock meet Hard Place.

Emma,
    At the company I work at, we have a 1-800 # we can call, report what we've found & leave it at that...
    Hope it all works out for you.

Hugs, Connie Marie
    See my favorite lovely ladies at https://www.flickr.com/photos/64988357@N03/favorites/

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

100% agree with you here. When I worked for providence hospital the human resources is suppose to take care of issues like ours. However, my immediate supervisor made sure of it that he "controlled" some of the management above him and this made me look like the trouble maker not him. He was extreamly homophobic and a racist towards woman. This isn't what I am saying I heard this from every person throughout the company that I asked and even some I didn't ask. Bottom line is choose your battles and some times it is best for you just to bite your tong no matter how right you really are.

Update and "No Choice in the Matter."

Ok, Ladies. So I have a lot that has happened on this subject since I last commented on it.

First of all, I am no longer the temp backup for my department.

Yesterday was huge.

It started with one of my coworkers telling me about our department getting called out, and not in a good way, in front of the rest of the store at a meeting with all the Department heads and leads.

My first reactionary thought was , "Oh, just lovely. This is already shaping up to be a really bad day, and I haven't even clocked in for work yet."

Then, since I was still doing the job as the temp backup, I had to arrange a "Coaching" with one of the people I was responsible for overseeing. Well, it seemed to go well enough. But then, about 30 to 45 minutes later; he quit.

That left me feeling like the day had just gotten worse. I didn't want him to quit. I just needed him to utilize the tools I gave him to succeed in the company so all of us could get upper management off out collective derriere's. What made this feeling feel even worse. Within 20 minutes of him quitting, I had three people shake my hand and congratulate me for getting him to quit. NOT COOL.

Leading into the afternoon, Management announces for each department for our daily "Huddles" to discuss our store metrics and other information we need to pass on the the rest of our departments.

At the end of the meeting, my store Manager let me know he needed to discuss something with me before I went home. I agreed and let him know I had some questions for him.

In his office, we discussed what he needed to discuss. (No, it wasn't bad.) He wanted to know about my personal objective observations about something.

Anyway, then cam time for my questions. I asked him about what was taking our backup transferring to our store so long.

He looked at me thoughtfully.

I GOT THE PROMOTION AFTER ALL!!!!!!

Before I left his office, he got onto his computer and sent off the requests to give me access to areas of our computer system I hadn't had access to. By, next week some time; I'll be receiving emails pertaining to my department with my own personal company email. It would be nice if I could access them here at home, but the system won't allow that.
    Has nothing to fear

Rock meet Hard Place.

great emma beth , ya got the ball run with it
    hugs phylis anne

Woo-hoo! You rock, girl. Make us proud.

Hugs,

Kelly Marie

emma
    congratulations , good things come to those who wait , 1 for the team

It actually gets even better.

I'm also starting up my own business making Native American style flutes to help raise the money for what I have to pay out of pocket for surgeries.

I am currently leaning toward getting SRS. Not sure whether or not I will want BA and or FFS.

With everything I learn from the Company doing this job, I will take that info and apply it to my own business practices. You can't go wrong with that, considering how long they have been around.
    Has nothing to fear

Rock meet Hard Place.