Thread: Pre-Op Health Care

Aspiring Member

Pre-Op Health Care

I'm looking for info on what doctors you see (or used to see) for general health care when pre-op. Obviously you need a doctor that's able to manage your HRT. I've heard of people going to an Endo, OB/GYN or trans clinics for this. Do you also see a separate GP or family doctor for your regular day to day care (physicals, routine checks, etc.)? Did you end up looking for a GP who was trans friendly or were you able to stick with your existing doctors when you started to transition?

I ask because I'll be seeing an OB/GYN to manage my HRT. She is very trans-experienced and was recommended strongly by my therapist. In the long run, if I go the route of GRS, she'll be a my long term Gyno. However, in the mean time I need to figure out what I do about prostate exams, physicals, and other general health needs. my current doctor is definitely not experienced working with trans people so I'm not sure if continuing to see him is the best plan or if I should be looking for a new doctor. I definitely don't want to be the guinea pig for him to learn what trans health care is all about.

There are many doctors who promote themselves as being LGBT friendly. Mine has the rainbow on the front door and the reception desk window. Unfortunately this isn't something listed on sites like zocdoc. In my case, I used google, searched "Doctors LGBT New Jersey" I got the names of several doctors.

The local LGBT center in your area should have a number of LGBT friendly doctors. These doctors are VERY supportive of LGBT people, and especially transgender people.

For the last few years I have had to commute 5 hours to Philadelphia to Mazzoni Center, but they just opened up a transgender health clinic in New Jersey.

There are more of these clinics popping up all over the United States. As more is shared and published about transgender people, the estimates of how many there are have been going up. At one time they only thought there were a few hundred thousand, now they are aware of a few million.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Ask your new Endo Lisa. She may know or work with a GP that she likes and recommends. Mine did. A lot of this stuff is just going to start to fall in place as you get more involved. You'll see.

Silver Member
    My doctor is trans and post-op. She has referred me where I'm moving to another trans doctor. Barring that - and I still can't believe my luck - I'd settle for anyone credible with substantive trans patient experience, through surgeries (and beyond).
    Lea

Lisa, if your OB/GYN is not an endocrinologist, I would strongly suggest seeing some one else. However, Reproductive Endocrinology is a subspecialty of OG/GYN and would be perfect for your care. RE's have taken subspecialty boards and are certified. Be carful with a general OB/GYN.

Last July When I decided to start the transitioning process, I figured I should get a physical first to make sure there are no major health problems, so I started my search for a PCP (Primary Care Physician). Two doctors in my health plan who were LGBT recommended were not accepting new patients, so I picked a doctor who I did not know a lot about, and I let her know I was trans and wanting to transition when applying to be a patient of hers. I did not want an anti trans doctor, so I provided her a chance to reject me. Also, before the appointment I emailed her I was trans and wanted to transition.

I went to see my PCP and told her of my plans, and she said she had not dealt with a trans patient before, but would look into what I needed to do. She did and later contacted me thru a nurse to contact Psychology, which I did and the process of transitioning began.

Now that I am on HRT, my Endocrinologist is the doctor I have been primarily dealing with. My Endo has a lot of experience in dealing with trans patients.

For general health issues I will still deal with my PCP. She does not have a problem with me being trans, so I feel I made a good choice there.

I plan to have SRS within a few years, so I will probably then have to see an OB/GYN.

If your current doctor does not have a problem with you being trans, then continue to see him, otherwise search for a new physician. I am not sure a PCP has to be extremely knowledgeable on trans health care, since you are dealing with other doctors who do know about trans health care. That being said they should be willing to educate themselves on the basics, and I feel mine has.

Grace

Lisa I see both my primary care doc who I have seen for 11 years and think highly of and I see a doctor that specializes in sexual health issues and has been working with trans patients longer than anyone in Minnesota. I am very happy with both. Without knowing the specific doctors or your needs IMHO as a rule of thumb I think having both is the best situation. My primary was very cool when I came out to him and I think that should always be the first step.

Everyone's experiences are different.

How things end up working will work for each individual person, and it will work.

For example, I happen to be going through the VA Health Care System.

Through the VA, I had to start with my Primary Care Provider at my General Clinic.

She was wonderful through the entire process. I did have to help guide her in what I needed to do at first. But, they have a great data base to work with right at all of their finger tips.

She set up my first appointment with my Therapist in Mental Health Services.

My Therapist then did what she needed to do for me and set up my appointment for a required Evaluation, required by the VA, to get my referral to Endocrinology.

What makes this all different is my Primary Care Provider and her staff has been coordinating everything behind the scenes.

The one bonus with how this works at the VA is all of my Doctors are fully aware of what treatments and medications I have so they don't work against each other.

Even with this added bonus of having a coordinating Dr., I still communicate with every Doctor I come into contact with at the VA just for GP.

I think, even if any Doctor has experience with Trans patients, you should always communicate with all of them in great detail, regardless of how you end up doing this. This is your health after all.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Silver Member
    EB, thanks for reminding me. My therapist and Dr. are joined at the hip. They have been working cooperatively with trans patients for – I don't know – perhaps the last 15 years or so. The coordination is not only helpful, it has been important on more than one occasion. My therapist has called my doctor directly on more than one occasion when my depression medication regimen wasn't up to snuff. It always resulted in an immediate call from my doctor, a fast appt. and an adjustment.