Thanks once again for all your comments.

Rachel - I don't dispute your suggestion that there's a "prime" band of ages which one would tend to strive to look. I'm probably one of those who looks slightly older, but to my credit I'm older than I look when in drab, which has already led to questions and a bit of questioning when I was seen smoking.

Teresa - I think in an ideal world, make-up is meant to make the wearer feel good about how he or she looks, although a good part of it (concealer etc.) is clearly meant to cover up blemishes and flaws - some of which seem to come inevitably with age. I recognise, however, that it's seen to become an unwritten requirement amongst women (not that it should be), and inevitable in most parts of the MtF trans* community.

Ellen - I agree with you wholeheartedly that age shouldn't really be an obstacle to being (if not staying?) beautiful all the same. (I still think it was very outlandish of me to actually wear ballet slippers and a tutu, although even I thought the entire setup was so pretty.)

Sherry - I think I've seen you unmasked before. You're actually gorgeous. I mean it.

I for one am, at least for now, of the opinion that youngsters like myself are, for the most part, accidents of nature - beautiful old people, as Eleanor Roosevelt mentioned, are all the more works of art. Although I'm damned grateful that I'm probably going to be older than I look for the rest of my life, even if it admittedly kind of sucked when I began drinking, smoking and driving (though not all at the same time, obviously.)