Thread: Name/gender change questions.

Name/gender change questions.

The last few days I have finally officially decided to transition. Physically I'm still not sure which steps I plan on taking or in what order But I am beginning to make a plan for all of it. Before the fun stuff like changing my body and all of the clothes shopping I will get to do I need to plan out some practical things. So I am relatively sure of how to change a name and gender marker. What I am not sure of once you change your name and gender marker what do you put on your resume? And for that matter whenever you turn in a copy of a degree or certification with your old name on it do you have some sort of memo that shows that you are under a new name? That would make sense I suppose but once I'm fully transitioned I would like to go work somewhere where most people don't necessarily know that I'm Trans. Also with credit history. Do you just contact the credit bureau and show them your court docs to have your names on all of your reports changed? As always I look forward to all the comments And any tips or feedback are appreciated

To answer your questions -

• Always put your current legal name on your resume.
    • For your degree, contact the college registrar's office to ask them about the steps needed to make a name change. Some colleges consider your records sealed when you separate from the school, and your name cannot be changed, ever, for any reason. For a certification, contact the organization that issued the certification.
    • Regarding your credit history, you don't and can't do anything. Your credit report will show both old and new names for your accounts for many years. They track your credit history via your social security number, not by your name, and when you change your name with the social security administration and of course financial institutions, the credit agencies will start getting your new name. But your old accounts (even the closed accounts) will still show your old name in your credit history.

Because we all leave an electronic trail these days, it's almost impossible to be 100% stealth with everyone. Anyone running a background check on you will probably find out that you're trans. Maybe the trail will fade away after many, many years, but don't count on it.

Finally, are you really sure that transitioning is the right path for you? Less than a week ago you started this thread where you said that you're questioning but haven't sought out a therapist yet. I feel very strongly that the vast majority of trans women should see a gender therapist to sort out their thoughts and also guide them during their transition, at least in the early stages. You'll need to see a therapist anyway in order to get a referral for HRT. You can skip that by going to an informed consent clinic (which I did), but it's still a good idea to talk with a therapist (which I also did).

Mirya,

Thank you for the info. And to answer your question yes. I'm am sure. I have been seeing a therapist in general. I do plan to see a gender therapist to get more targeted counseling. I have just finally admitted to myself that Im not like I've shown the world I am. I don't have to be manly and act tough and I want to look more like I feel. Exactly how I go about all of that is yet to be determined. I am only beginning but I'm sure I want the take this journey.

This is an issue that I will be facing very soon and have been looking into this.

The first place to change would be with Social Security. One reason is that state DMV offices verify your identity thru Social Security, so if your desired name and gender change does not match the records of Social Security, DMV will not make the change on your drivers license or state ID.

I am hoping past employers will be willing to change my name, from conversation with trans persons, a lot of them will make the change. As far as applying for future jobs, I will probably have to let them know, since a lot of them will do background checks and also a lot of employment applications ask if you have used other names in the past. My hope is that management will keep it confidential, so your co workers will not know.

Depending on the state you were born in, you may or may not be able to change your birth certificate.

Grace
    Last edited by grace7777; 03-21-2017 at 09:55 AM.

It depends on the state that you live in. In some states, you should change your driver's license first, then change it with the social security administration. In other states, you need to do it the other way around - social security first, then driver's license. Connect with other transgender people and resources in your state to learn the correct order.

Note that the process for the initial court order for name change can vary too, even within the same state, depending on your county of residence.

I googled the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration and they say to change your name with Social Security before doing it with them, since they verify your ID with Social Security, like it is done in California.

I definitely agree that you should connect with your local transgender people, since they know all about gender and name change in your area. They will know how to properly fill out the paperwork.

Ashley

You say Southern Maryland. How far south. There are multiple TG support groups in the WASH DC area. A lot of these questions come up as many have had to navigate all this.

Georgette

Always apply your legal name to a resume. I took a copy of my court documentation showing a legal name change and had new degree certificates made through the college I graduated from. There were some charges for the reprintings but it was worth every cent. This left me free to display my accomplishments without all the questions.