Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: substitutions for CDing...

Aspiring Member

substitutions for CDing...

All,

May I ask another question please? A trend I have noticed may exist, data from observing my own life, and other TG people out there.

When the opportunity to dress and gender express is limited, substitutions often emerge.

One TS friend flew aircraft. Another TS friend does very long distance motorcycle rides. Another works and travels to very remote and exotic foreign countries.

Another rides a super sport motorcycle, and I mean a real screamer. Others have obsessive hobbies like model railroads, or art.

For myself, right now it is riding motorcycles. The focus, exhilaration, skills needed, sensuality (yes, very much so) and risk elements all help me with limited, current gender expression. Sort of a release valve, wife approved activity in DADT scenario. I also have a fairly exotic sports car convertible, same effect: just fun.

Do others see the same trend? Or am I imagining things?

Thanks in advance.

Lol I guess my substitutions would be hunting and fishing and farming some.
    Wife said I do too much of both, Dressing and the other three mentioned above.

For me,when i can't dress for 1 reason or another or lack the desire,A long weekend motorcycle trip is the best thing to fill the void.Certainly makes me forget everything else.

Enjoying the ride,scenery clears my mind
    of all worries and regrets.

Not a substitute(only do this 2-3x/year) but a backup for when femme time comes to naught.
    Last edited by CarolynO; 04-28-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Gina,

For me, that was never the case. I never felt I was driven to any particular activities as a substitute for the desire to express my feminine side. I also never felt I had to pick super macho activities to try and cover for a stereotypical feminine side. Btw, who says women can't have these interests?

We are all different, and for some .. maybe it is a protective cover of sorts, but not for me, I just like being able to do anything!

I have always done things that were considered wild, stupid, crazy or adventurous by family and friends, including all of the activities you list, with the sole exception of model rail roads ... but that is probably not so wild anyways. You can add the other typical male activities of hunting, fishing, repairing cars or anything else that breaks, building houses etc etc. Spent a lot of time in the military too. The list is long, and fairly typical for that "Guy".

Release valve? Maybe, but not from a lack of ability to express the girl side of things. In fact, several of the "wild masculine activities" have also been done in full on girl mode from time to time.

On the flip side, I have also always had a natural interest in, what some would consider, Girl's/Women's activities. My mother taught me to cook, sew, clean etc and I like doing it. It never felt as a "girl" thing to me, learning these things as a kid and teenager, and to this day I dont associate it with "women's work" or anything like that. I actually feel a little sorry for men who cannot do these things as they are, in my view, just less capable of taking care of themselves and their family.

So from my point of view at least, I dont think your theory is sound, but I am sure it will ring a bell for some others.

- Suzie

I don't think of one the things I did in the past as a substitute for CDing but I think was almost as much fun and that was boating. I find crossdressing as much fun, it's much less expensive and it can be done all year round!! I also tried motorcycles, snowmobiling and more cars than I can remember but I'm sure none of these were substitutes.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Not really seeing the connection. People aren't one-dimensional -- it's not rare for them to have multiple interests. It's not surprising that someone who is a crossdresser might also do one or more of those things as well as crossdress. If there's a connection at all, it would seem to me to be that the things you mention -- motorcycles, flying, sports cars -- tend to attract risk-taking personalities and I'm reasonably sure that crossdressers who go out probably also have a tendency to be risk-takers in other parts of their lives. So I don't think the hobby is a substitute for crossdressing but just a symptom of their personality type.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I have many hobbies, too many I sometimes think, but they are all basically time fillers. I could give up any hobby, but CDing is far more than some kind of passtime and is something I would find very hard to live without.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Is there really a substitute? If there were, I wouldn't need to CD.

Rian

I ride a motorcycle. Never looked at it as a pacifier for my crossdressing.

definately takes the edge and focus off crossdressing.
    Currently painting my daughters convertable and enjoy lots of other distractions, but then it feels like I have to compensate for loss of time from CDing.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    I'm writing a book with a crossdresser main character, but it's not a substitute, I don't think. I tend to be crossdressed when working on it. If I can't CD for some reason (like, at work), I just compartmentalize.

Hell-o Gina,
    We all have things we like to do,
    and those things all take time.

Let Gina take that bike for a ride
    and see how you feel!
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

The only substitution that works for me is sex. And in some ways it makes the urge even stronger.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I don't believe there is a substitute for dressing. Altho, I've apparently succeeded in turning it into a hobby.

My fantasy picto stories featuring the adventures of Sherry! But, I can't imagine having her on a bike in more than one story. It would be the same as having her play golf, pool, or tennis in each one. Boring! Unless I enjoyed doing one of those dressed or not!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Gina,
    There was a time when I felt needed to bury my CDing , I took on more work to prove I was a man , and burnt myself out in the process .
    Men who don't aren't CDers have sports and pastimes simply because they enjoy it . I love skiing despite not being that good . My passion more than an obsession is painting, the ideal situation for me is to dress while working on a painting , I find I'm more creative , maybe because I'm more relaxed, but I would still paint without dressing, it's not a substitute. I find when I can't dress I go and check out the charity shops, or spend time tidying up my clothes.

I think you're making a connection when there isn't one, I would love to dress full time but then you have to occupy yourself in other things, I don't gaze in the mirror all day or keep twirling round.

Banned Read only
    Nothing replaces crossdressing, it's like drinking a Coke when you really are thirsty for water. Other things are time fillers but they don't satisfy.

Shopping online seems to help when I am too busy to dress or shop in person

For me, there is no substitution for CDing. It's in a world all its own. However, dressing has broadened my outside interests in sports and hobbies. "She's" always there, while sailing, biking, tennis, etc. I wouldn't change a thing.

Not really a replacement for cd. I ride my motorcycle underdressed. Sometimes my tee shirt nlows up to reveal my bra strap. Have even considered riding fully dressed in aini skirt. Wig under my helmet. So it doesn't replace cd. And as said earlier I can cook, sew and do a lot to help my wife who as rods in her back. I retire from truck driving which I did while dressed sometimes, am a diesel mech. No substitue.

So this thread is basically about our other passions & hobbies, which I would love to hear a lot more input. I didn't know our common bond was a strong #1 for so many, although I guess it shouldn't be surprising if you're visiting & posting on a website like this so frequently 💄😘💋. Here are the other things I am most passionate about...

-Sports - college fb, pro fb, baseball, hockey, NASCAR; fantasy sports leagues
    -Politics - the discussion of issues, engaging in the arena of ideas, NOT democrats v. republicans
    -Family - spending quality time w my kids; anything special that creates memories w them; this is #1
    -Outdoors - Summers at the lake & a winter trip to the mountains if we can
    -Cooking

Aspiring Member
    I tried gardening as a substitute. I thought I could distract and replace. It did not work that way. Life is not that simple. I still garden...a lot! I still cross dress...a fair amount also.

I am restoring an old Porsche in the garage. I don't have any girlie disposable work clothes.
    I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

Platinum Member
    Hi Gina For me there is no substitution for Crossdressing ......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Silver Member
    What would be a substitute for crossdressing for me... only think I can think of...

A wife

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I've found things to divert my attention away from crossdressing, delay tactics and circumstances that absolutely prohibit the practice. These hobbies, relationships and obligations all worked to keep my focus on those matters, but eventually the committment to those things end and I was left to myself. I always came back. It's part of me in ways that other activities and circumstances do not replace or fill, only push it aside.

But that's me. Your mileage may vary.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.