Thread: Having to Adapt

Having to Adapt

I have had a very large collection of dresses, blouses, skirts and heels to choose from. All with my wife's full lnowledge and hung in our walkin closet. But recently I had a serious foot injury that has changed a lot for Alice. Bottom line is that I will never be able to wear heels again and a lot of outfits will not look good without heels. Flats won't cut it. I just went through my closet and gave a lot of beautiful heels and outfits to the Goodwill. It hurts.

Alice is still alive, but now I have to re-invent my look and what I can wear. t is going to be expensive. Have any of you ever had a situation where you had to make a major adaption in presentation?

Banned Read only
    Alice ,
    Sorry to read about your foot injury, I really feel for you , some clothes just need heels. One doesn't work without the other.

I have a problem with arthritis in my big toe joints, I can manage up to 4" heels but my feet let me know the next day , I know I shall have to settle for wedges or flats eventually , I don't have that many dresses but all need heels. I do find hemlines below the knee don't look good in flats , if your legs can take it do you keep your hemline about on the knee ?

I am sorry that you had such a foot injury. I, too, have had to get rid of most of my heels as I can no longer walk well in them. I have a bad knee and a poor sense of balance. So, I know how you feel! It takes a while to accept this.
    Hugs, Carole

Alice, I'm so sorry for you injury. Let's hope that it does not end up being as bad as you think it will.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    First off let start off with the important stuff.......

YOU GAVE HEELS TO GOODWILL AND FAILED TO POST THE ADDRESS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you know Goodwill tosses any heel over size 10 ? (Well at least here)

In all seriousness , I hope you feel better soon.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

I usally walk around dressed with no shoes not to scratch the floor, my wife bought me some soft flats to wear around the house. They are cute, black with little gold studs, very fem. I tried them with a few outfits and I must admit they sure don't bring the best out of your legs in a nice dress. But if I had to do it for health reasons I'm sure I would adapt, I quit smoking it can't be harder then that. Take care of yourself and I'm sure you will find that look.

Never say never. I broke my fibula at the ankle joint, had a 4-1/2 inch compression fracture of the tibia in the same leg and a head injury that affects my balance. I can still rock a stiletto heel like a boss.

I know it will be an adjustment as you step away from the heels but you can do it. There are so many cute styles out there and you won't have any trouble finding your size. Keep in mind, flats can shred your feet as much as any heels. A rule of thumb is to buy a half size larger than normal but I know you don't like anything even remotely too big. Another consideration is to keep a supply of bandaids on hand for the back of your heels, particularly with dressy flats that are less forgiving than more casual styles.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Alice, sorry to hear about your foot injury. worst I ever did was smash my big toe. Yeah had to have the mani people just cover over it. Deep purple on my toes now.
    Part Time Girl

Sorry about your foot problems and having to give up heels! There are some very nice flats out there. Wishing the best for you in your adapting! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Alice
    good to here from you hope your recovery is short , getting old is not as easy as i thought it was

wishing you well Susie

OMG,sorry to hear of your injury. That said, i like you always adored highheels and wear them all the time ,but luckily due to the great latitudes in fem clothing theres ways to make up for the lack in highheels,,,,ie. plenty sexy lowheels,lingerie, garter belts and stockings,,,camisoles, nylons and more nylons,,sexy bras, sexy clothes,,,,****ty makeup,,lol,,,,but hopefully you`ll recover to be able to do the highheel strut again sis!

First of all - Kelly you are right. I should have posted on the site for free items. Sara, you know more about what happened to me, but bandaids won't help. The condition is for life and abuse could easily puit me back in a no contact cast, or a best a walking boot. Something I never want to do again. What I have to find is some cute shoes that have absolutely no flex in the bottom and some thick padding. I am sure they exist and will be looking quickly. Any kind of angle that stresses the top of the foot would be very bad. Now that I am able to drive again (after 8 months) I want to be able to go out again, especially in May when my wife is out of the country for a month.

Silver Member
    "What I have to find is some cute shoes that have absolutely no flex in the bottom and some thick padding."

Alice, tough break (pun intended). You can always add the padding with gel soles or similar. They might do the trick. Consider low heel wedges, or flats. Many are quite dressy. I don't know your shoe size, but if 10 or under, PM me for a good source of the above.

My doctor has told me no padding or gells. Foot must remain rigid with no flex under or over the central foot. Was not a break, but something called Charcut foot/Look it up and it will scare thhe hell out of you.

Wow, finding a shoe style may very we'll be difficult. The band aid is simply to keep the flats from wearing holes on the back of your ankles (Achilles area).

Zero flex makes me think dressy flats but it would seem that every shoe has at least some flex.

I'll keep my eyes open and my thinking cap on.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I know how you fell I had back surgery over a year ago and my left ankle keeps tuning over when I wear my heals my heels are still in my closet to hard to part with them
    hugs
    Ronda

Alice, sorry to hear about your nasty condition, i hope that with the right shoes you can be as well as possible. The small positive that can come out of your condition, is now you have a good excuse to go shopping and buy lots of beautiful clothes that will look great with flats!!
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Thanks everyone. Sara, call me when you get back from DLV. Really miss it and maybe next year?

Alice, I had a couple of broken bones in my left foot and needed the solid non flexible footwear your doctor recommended, my solution Clogs. Not the full Dutch style, but normal looking shoes and sandals with a wooden base. I suppose that I was lucky in that we have an artisan clog maker or two in this part of the UK, although I have purchased some in France also. Some very smart, attractive, even pretty styles and I'm sure that you could find some on the old interweb.
    Just another thought, can you purchase the Scholl range of footwear in your part of the world, again solid Base and full female or male range.
    Good luck

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice B View Post
    not a break, but something called Charcut foot/Look it up and it will scare the hell out of you.
    Alice, sorry to read this and YES I "Dr. Goggled" the diagnosis and it scared the crap out of me. Having diabetic neuropathy it does scare the crap out of me. Something else to try to avoid.

My wife had foot surgery a long time ago which put the brakes onto wearing heels. I think if she saw my collection of four inch heels she'd strangle me in my sleep! I do have some very stylish flats or really low heels (1 to 1/5 inch) that I wear when taking evening strolls. The shoes may be out there for you, but, of course the ability to walk takes precedent over high heels. Good luck on the medical condition.

I feel for you on this. I have pretty debilitating (and not very attractive to look at either) arthritis in my feet/toes so, I was never a candidate for high-anything. even open-toes isn't a very appealing option given the visual side of this affliction. Stay diligent on it! Heal soon!