Thread: UPDATES: The Sisters' Weekend Out

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Aspiring Member

UPDATES: The Sisters' Weekend Out

Today marks the beginning of my 4-day weekend. This is the weekend, my younger sister and I are traveling to the twin cities (via plane) to visit our older sister and hang out for a few days, just us three sisters. This is my opportunity to get a full four days of living in my truth, as a woman, no safety nets, no timeouts before I meet with the doctor next week to begin HRT. A number of you had expressed interest in hearing about the trip when I mentioned it previously, so I figured running updates in their own thread would make it easier for me to get everything down. (Note of selfishness here, this thread will also serve as a personal diary for me of the weekend )

DAY 1 - Preparation Day
    So today was my first day off of work. My sister and I leave tomorrow but there were somethings I wanted to get done and since our flight is so early, we're also staying in a hotel near the airport. My day started at 6:00, getting up so I could shower, shave from head-to-toe, get dressed and made-up and ready for my day. I had a 10:00 appointment for a mani/pedi and brow shaping at a salon near my hotel. I left a little extra early so I could stop at Walmart and get a pair of flip-flops to wear following my pedicure to hopefully avoid damaging the polish. The stop at Walmart was uneventful, had a very friendly woman at the register check me out and I was on my way.

Got to the Salon and the women there were so amazingly kind and hospitable. Upon walking in the door, the woman at the desk looked up my appointment and offered to take my coat. My technician helped me pick a color and brought me back to her station, getting right to work on the pedicure. I told her this was my first time and she was super cool and helpful. The pedi, mani and brow wax all went very well with her offering her expertise throughout. After paying, the woman at the desk chatted me up for a few minutes and invited me to return for another visit. Throughout I was treated very naturally with no hit of awkwardness or confusion. I was just one of the girls, what an amazing feeling.

Off to my hotel for an early check-in. I was glad they had my room available already so I could drop off all my stuff. I quick changed out of the capri yoga pants I wore to the spa into a nice cute pair of skinny jeans and my new lace-up ankle boots. Then it was off to the mall to find a dress for tomorrow night's dinner with my sisters. I ended up stopping at 5 or 6 different stores before I finally found a dress I liked. I needed something with 1/2 or 3/4 sleeves. I found two and after trying them on and finding that they both looked great and fit me well, I decided to get both of them. Cashier was crazy friendly and helpful and after about 90 minutes at the mall I left with two dresses and a t-shirt and shorts workout outfit (impulse buy).

It was 3:30 when I was on my way back to the hotel and I realized I hadn't eaten anything for dinner yet. I went looking for a decent sit down restaurant. Since I was alone, I figured I'd be safer at a chain so I stopped at a Chilis. A kind hostess seated me and my waitress introduced herself. Again, not awkward reactions, just friendly and comfortable. A note to servers everywhere, if you want a big tip from a trans woman, flattery will get you everywhere. At one point my waitress came up and said "Hey beautiful, how is everything? Can I get you anything else?" Yeah I'm a sucker but that was awesome!! Finished, paid my bill and headed out across the street to Walmart (again). Realized I needed some tights. Ended up also buying a couple t-shirts. The woman who checked me out was very much the opposite of everyone else I dealt with today. She didn't greet me, never really looked at me, and mumbled as few words as she could when handing me my receipt. I don't know if this is just her regular mode (it is a Walmart afterall) or if it was a bad reaction to me. Either way, I don't really care as long as there was nothing insulting said.

Finally headed back to my hotel, tried everything on one more time. Decided on which dress to take with me on the trip and now I'm about to catch a nap before my sister arrives. What a spectacular first day. Tomorrow however, will be all new adventures. My first time flying as a female, shopping at the Mall of America and then a fancy dinner with my sisters. So excited!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AlyssaJ; 03-23-2017 at 08:50 PM.