Thread: Background checks

Background checks

I might be getting a promotion at work but one requirement is a background check. When I got hired a little over two years ago, the application asked if there were any other names by which you have been known. I put my deadname on the application. Now I wonder if the name change will have an adverse effect on the background check.

Has anyone ever had a problem with promotions and background checks because of the name change?
    If clothes make the man, I must not be one.

If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, I am definitely from Earth. Somewhere in the middle.

Originally posted by Inna
    If you find your self in pain, yet not able to stop the pursuit, rest assured, you are on the right path
    You may call me Dana B

Its unlikely to have an impact unless your employer engages in discriminatory activity. They hired you when you made your previous name clear to them, I can't see why that would be different now. The only likely impact would be if you were hiding it previously.

As long as you informed the employer of your prior and later names and they are both legal there should be no problems. I know of different individuals that have not informed the employer prior to their hire and were terminated due to the background check resulting in a different 'alias' name. I also know individuals that have done the correct thing by notifying the employer of their prior and present names are 'legally' have been just fine. Bottom line in our situations it all depends on if your employer is homophobic or not and pushes issues that need not be pushed. Sounds like your boss may like you due to the anticipated promotion.

Just make sure that HR and whomever they engaged to do the background check is aware of everything. Even if when things turn up clean, you don't want to have given even the impression of subterfuge when the stakes are what they are in this case. Social situations, even workplace situations are different. You should be expected to want to keep private certain things, but the background check is definitely not the place for that.

Your fine if they already did one amd gave them all the correct and pertinent information. At least as far as that goes if the more intense background check finds something then that might be an issue, if tjere would be nothing to worry about without the name change tjeres nothing to worry about.