Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phot taking. Have you ever - -

Phot taking. Have you ever - -

I know that some of you are using selfie sticks.
    1. Have any of you tried propping up your phone and use the timer?
    2. Have any of you tried propping up your camera and use the timer?
    3. Have any of you tried using a Selfie bracket on a tripod and use the timer?
    4. Have any of you tried using a wireless remote with a phone on a tripod?
    5. Have any of you tried using a wireless remote with a camera on tripod?

Depending on were I am, I normally use 1 and/or 5.

Why am I asking?
    I do not like the shots with or with-out the extend arm, specially the sky shots.
    Using a prop and the timer removes the awkward extended arm. If you work on it, you can also use the other lens system on your phone which takes better photos.
    Position the phone, notice what is in the photo and where you should be, trigger the 10 second delay, then go get into the picture. No one else needed, just practice and a lot of moving back and forth (unless you have the option to take a string of photos with a ten second delay between each.- called a time apse mode).
    Sky shots give you a distortion with a very big head, broad shoulders, and if anything else is showing, they are smaller and out of focus.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

I always use a tripod and the self timer on the camera. I guess that's what i call a photo shoot. I always wondered at the term photo shoot used by other girls here. I used to wonder of it was a professional photographer, maybe not. I don't do selfies in the self holding mode, too confining for me. just me
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

I normally do #6, use the camera on a tripod and timer. I have done the wireless from the phone app , #5. Occasionally, #2 and #1, Never 3 or 4
    Hugs, Ellen

Banned Read only
    Yes
    Yes
    No
    No
    No

I always attach my camera to a tripod and use the self-timer. To get a little extra height, I stand the legs on plant pots!
    A girl can never have too many dresses

If the phone is my only option, I'll occasionally do #1, but I prefer to keep my phone in my hand.

My real preference is a tripood and interval timer on my DSLR. I set it up to take shots every 5-7 seconds, so I can pose and play around with ideas.. Even at maximum resolution, my cards will hold 900-ish images, so I worry about culling later to get the better shots in the first go-round.

To the best of my my limited knowledge for the term "Photo Shoot" we use a triggering device to release the shutter and or ignite the flash (gun powder was frequently used) powder. The old press box cameras had very slow shutter speeds and slower film plates and normally used a tripod, rack mounted bellowslens assembly, and a release cable called "the Trigger" even though it was a release.
    The release cable was a major break-through from removing the guard plate, then the lens cap, and replacing the guard plate.
    back in the 60s one of my friends took me through the total process of 1890s photography. I still have the photo. He also taught me how to build and use a pin hole camera.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Probably need a new camera! No timer and no remote! Two step shutter release and I don't think a selfie-stick could be used! Oh, well! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I use a tripod and infrared remote on 3 second delay. I'm trying my hand at "strobist" lighting now.
    Georgia (Gigi) Maine

My selfies are all hand held, either at arm length or a reflection from a mirror. All that other stuff is too much effort and not that important to me.

I am a tripod or time with something to hold the camera or phone. Seldom do I just extend an arm. I prop it up or brace it to make the photo happen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

I use my phone for my pictures. I do the prop and timer method. For the selfies shots, there is a preset foe photos which takes a decent picture. My phone also allows for selfie shots every few seconds, so I tend to take a whole bunch from several angles and then juat delete the ones I dont like.

In do the tripod and camera timer. I don't trust the I phones. Being a construction worker and a little older I don't trust technology and I phones with the cloud and who knows if deleted is really deleted.

Number #5 works well with no cables or sticks showing and in most cases a far better image.

I have a timer on a small camera I usually just sit it on the dresser and set in a chair, on the bed, or the chest at the foot of the bed. The camera can take two shots about ten seconds apart. The secret to being a photographer and good pictures are take a lot of pictures and usually something turns out good. I don't use my phone as I'm scared I'll hit a button with my giant thumb or fingers and send the photo out to someone or I won't get them erased and they'll show up when the grandkids play games on my smart phone...

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    I've found this to be the best combo solution.
    1.jpgjoby-griptight-gorillapod-tripod-for-smartphones-p42632-g.jpg
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Timer fails often as it focus and set appiture on the background when I hit the shutter and doesn't recheck the scene once I get in to shot.
    So for me the timer very annoying.
    Today I found my BlueTooth selfie pole, proped my phone on a small tripod and hit the bluetooth trigger, which now also works better with the timer getting the correct focus etc - As per Kelly's example just below.

My new phone doesn't WiFi connect with my Canon camera, but my old phone was great for previewing, zooming etc.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I like all the new ways to make selfie photos fail,... Technology is wonderful isn't it?

I have a spouse with a trigger finger and a SLR camera.

Works about as reliably as other selfie photos...

About a 40 percent success rate. :-)

Reasons for failure, Camera falls off wall, Misjudged timer settings sort of like a firecracker going off in your face when you think the fuse went out, wind and delicate balance on limbs of trees take their toll, along with focus,white balance, lens caps, and a 101 other different reasons.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Leslie,
    I was a professional photographer for thirty years so I have a good solid tripod, I rely on the camera self timer but position a full length mirror next to it and check the pose , ten seconds isn't long and I've had some funny outtakes ! Most of my pictures now are taken by other people at my social group meetings .

I still wish I had my working colour darkroom I much prefer using a decent camera with a good lens ( Bronica SQAi 120mm film format ) . The problem with selfies with or without using the sticks is the lens is too wide and gives an unflattering angle. You can see immediately the difference the nose and chin are out of proportion to the face and look bigger. Many complain about never getting good pictures and that is part of the problem , full length shots are taken too close and give a bad body shape. The ideal is use a longer lens and set the camera further back , you will then get a more flattering portrait and a better balanced full length .

I use a camera with a self timer on a tripod. I don't use my phone for my CD pics at all...
    I finally figured it out! - I'm a Lesbian Trapped in a Mans Body!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/sexycindycd

I have a tripod and Bluetooth remote for my phone.
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

I find that a tripod and a timer on a basic camera works best for Sarah. Sometimes I do have the focusing problem, but my success rate is still good. I actually found a mini tripod at a flea market that can easily fit in a bag when traveling or going out.

Also, chalk me up as not using my iPhone as my wife and family are often borrowing it !
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I use the camera-timer on my phone for some snaps.
    I'm thinking of getting a selfi-stick just for shots of my girl-self.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I use a camera on the timer setting and a tripod most of the time.
    Sometimes prop the camera on a counter or table.
    Never use my cell phone camera.

I use my cell mostly. Handheld or propped with the timer option.
    Sometimes I will get the good camera out on a tripod.
    Keely

One of the Reds