Thread: Dressing and Disabilities

Dressing and Disabilities

I was born in 1955 & contracted polio as an infant. I have a pretty obvious disability in my right arm. So my question is are there any sisters out there with disabilities? How does your disability affect your dressing? Q

I do not have any disabilities but my wife was born in 1952 and at age 3 got Polio! She was in an Iron Lung but she had curvature of the spine and overall weakness but no specific disability! She did not wear anything with a back zipper or fastening. She preferred elastic waist pants and tee shirts. She would however wear a dress for special occasions such as weddings! She past away 2 years ago in March from COPD as she was a smoker! Your thread brought all this to my mind! Best wishes on your dressing and your journey! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Banned Read only
    I have to use a pair of walk easy crutches due to a disease I have. The only way it really affects what I wear is that I can't wear heels. I can wear boots with heels just not high heels.

While I never really thought about it, having a facial deformity is kind of a disability. There's no amount of make up that can could ever fix me, so my early years were spent completely avoiding mirrors and knowing that I could never be pretty. Only surgery made me close to appearing normal, though a scar remains. Compared to what I did look like, it's still an improvement, but I still could never look attractive as a female. Where as, a little asymmetry and a well healed scar for a guy just makes us look tougher and more masculine, a survivor.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I had Bell's Palsy a few years back and half my face still droops. I wouldn't say it's a disability but it does make my smile look creepy.

They are all disabilities legally. I imagine all of us have felt ostracized to an extent especially as children.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Maybe not along the lines of what others might think, as in visible, crippling disability. I have facial scars from an airplane accident at age 3, open heart surgery scars that make me not want to wear my beloved V neck shirts in public (thank you lifelong problems from Kawasaki's Disease!), permanent lung problems from the Army, and a permanent ankle/foot problem that started from a snakebite and was made worse in the military.

I think what you are getting at is, how do these things affect you as a CD? Well, obviously scars attract attention. If I wear shorts or capris and shave my legs, a gunshot wound on my left shin is highly visible. Obviously the heart stuff mentioned above means I would avoid wearing any type of drooping neckline in public. I don't really do makeup, but if I do, the facial scar on my cheek gets extra attention.
    Last edited by Allison Chaynes; 03-26-2017 at 04:40 PM.

I'm hearing-impaired. If I'm dressed out in public it's usually at a nightclub/fetish night sort of thing, so conversing with people is impossible due to loud music. Part of my particular ear thing is a problem with balance, so I've got to be really careful now about the height of my heels. I sprained my ankle something fierce last year leaving a nightclub because I started to lose my equilibrium, and I had only two drinks over the space of four hours!

I'm in the group. I lost the use of my left side for quite a while due to spinal injury. I have most of it back now. Appearance wise, most thought that I'd had a stroke.
    My left hand still tends to drop things and I try so hard to not have a left leg limp. I'm off now because I'm getting emotional!
    We Are Out There!

I've just taken a few deep breaths and will add before I go; I believe that the trauma and rehab really let the sensitive Stacy become Sensitive Stacy!

Stacy
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

I'm in the club! I'll PM details.