Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: umbrella for trans gender lent from Dr Bowers

umbrella for trans gender lent from Dr Bowers

I was fortunate last week to hear a lecture by Dr Marci Bowers. at the lgbt center in NY NY .

She is a well known surgeon who has helped women , men, and transgendered people find confidence in their anatomy . She is also mtf transgender . there were a good mix of people at the lecture including crossdressers mtf trans , ftm trans . and many "straight " cis people ho were in the social work and medical fields .

She spoke about a wide range of things with a great slideshow as backdrop. here is one that I thought had some resonance with a topic we debate here often . I am sorry that the text in the photo couldn't be more readable , but the headlines tell a lot .

Also , Dr Bowers talked about the the idea that gender is not really about clothing and its not about genitals. you can be transgendered without ever needing modifying your body .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Unfortunately when I try to blow this up on my phone, it's blurry. Any web links maybe?

Sorry, I cannot really make it out either (even headlines), on PC. Perhaps the forum limits the size of images?

It sounds like it was a fascinating lecture to attend, however.

umbrella Dr.Bowers IMG_2829 2.jpg

sorry its so blurry it was a difficult image to get . this might work ..

the "umbrella"

reads underneath it transexuals, crossdressers,intersex, performers, genderbendersand androgynes
    Last edited by barbara gordon; 03-26-2017 at 04:51 PM. Reason: more detail

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing and clarifying it for us. Sounds like it was a fascinating lecture, I have seen a few TV shows she has been interviewed for.

Sounds great! Getting accurate info out there is very important for better social relations! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Still its one person's idea mixed in with everyone else ideas . but i did note that the word "crossdresser is listed second on the list .

Also I was able to find that same image and a few other related images in a g--gle search . We are at a great time right now with the topic of new gender norms opening up all over the place after so much secrecy .

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    I like Dr.Bowers, and wow this is good information and I need to do some soul searching and really understand myself and where the pink fog is taking me.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

If you Google Dr.Bowers transgender umbrella and search images it comes up.
    Last edited by jennifer0918; 03-26-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    Life is about growth, never stop being curious.

Another fine arrangement of labels. People never tire of arranging and rearranging gender labels, do they? Putting this category in subordination to that category, moving this box of people inside this other group of people, until, if you buy into it, you are tempted to define yourself by whatever identifiers you are shown.

Marci Bowers has a lot of strikes against her for being able to tell me which way to arrange identity labels. She's at least three of the least credible categories according to my own personal umbrella infographic:

brella.jpg
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Another good site is the Gender Book. Scroll to the bottom and click the umbrella image.

http://www.thegenderbook.com/the-booklet/4561649703
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd View Post
    Another fine arrangement of labels...
    Your reasons for finding the most qualified sources non-credible is absurd.
    Last edited by CDAdmin; 04-01-2017 at 12:30 AM. Reason: you didn't need the post to respond

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have heard her speak a few times and really enjoyed listening to her.

Thanks for the replies ... as for wen and your umbrella diagram- yup every persons perspective is always biased ... mine included . Maybe mine especially . I saw this person give an excellent and very sympathetic lecture.. i was there in a room with professionals of the highest degrees and respect. In a mix of social and medical professions. Dr bowers was funny and informative. The lecture was free. There were presidents of major orginazations in the room. Dr bowers told of her extensive charity work that she has performed around the world using her own funds ... she is a transgender person who has a personal stake in her work ... i personally was lucky to be there and to hear this ... i went out again and did something that i would not have had the courage to do only a few short years ago ... i also qualified the diagram and the message as being only one persons perspective among many... this is all true ... we each have our own perspective and our own bias on every topic ... but its good to share view points so that we can reach goals together.

Its a relief for me to be able to go out into the public and not be harrassed and not arrested because i am a "man in a dress". Dr bowers is a hero to me because she is one of many gender pioneers that helped pave the road that i can so easily take.
    Last edited by barbara gordon; 03-27-2017 at 05:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Marci Bowers has a lot of strikes against her for being able to tell me which way to arrange identity labels. She's at least three of the least credible categories according to my own personal umbrella infographic
    So those are the people you don't trust. Who do you trust?
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Barbara,

It's a false sense of relief to stop thinking and to let your superiors do the thinking for you. Folks like Bowers didn't 'pave a road for you to easily take,' they built an attractive-looking corral and herded you into it by exacerbating and exploiting your own vulnerability and desire. That 'easy road' she paves ultimately leads to a place of her choosing - not yours, as do all the easy roads.

Pat, trust is a funny thing.

If I invite into my home a guy who sells water softeners to do a 'free water quality test' I trust that he will find, 99 times out of 100, that something is wrong with my water and will try to sell me a solution.

If I take my ornery kid to a doctor and I know this doctor gets a kickback from the pharma rep for every prescription of ritalin or some SSRI he puts a kid on, I trust that he will find something wrong with my kid and write a prescription.

If I am accosted by a scientologist on the street who offers me a free personality test, I trust that the test will show a personality flaw that only scientology can fix.

I trust that if the guy at the sales counter at any retail store offers me an extra 10% off today's purchase if I sign up to the mailing list and give him my email address, that I am going to receive unwanted advertising spam for the rest of my life.

Likewise, I trust that if I go to some gender lecture conference, such as Keystone, (which is funded by a consortium of plastic surgery firms,) I will 'learn' information and education that is designed to place me into a specific marketing demographic, and keep me there. I trust that all slideshows and visual aids are marketing tools to this end.

But so far as a definitive authority on gender? There isn't one. That's exactly why it's such an exploitable market.

Do you really trust Marci Bowers' hokey ad copy about "helping people find confidence in their anatomy?"

I don't want to guess at today's figures, but it's obvious that Transgenderism Inc. is a huge burgeoning industry with billions at stake. It's not your friend or ally. It doesn't care about you.

I have to agree with Wendy on pretty much everything she said above, especially the part about a definitive authority on gender and there not being one. This is why i have always felt that seeing a psychiatrist for therapy, especially on situations of being CD or whatever label it is you slapped on yourself is a complete joke. They don't know much about it period and all they do is take wild guesses and play on someone's emotions and their bank account at the same time plus get their kick backs from big pharma as much as possible. JMO
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Silver Member
    To me, "Trans" labels are similar to "political" labels in that there's a personal fit somewhere, whatever the name. Wen4CD's points are excellent, and she's right in her feeling as she does. But, whenever any group believes anything, a standard bearer(s) will emerge for that belief. As a M2F transsexual M.D., she has experienced the full monte of such a change and what it was like before her GRS. We "trans" folks do exist, and even with labeling, she's just trying to open the eyes of others who may need same and to try to educate them that we are "out there" and need understanding. I'm thankful she's doing that for us. JMO

Pat, trust is a funny thing.
    Apparently so, since again you provide a detailed list of people you don't trust but nobody that you do. You describe a cold, dark, cynical world. I'm sorry you have to live there.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.

i have just returned from the keystone conference that was held in Harrisburg. i heard speakers that i thought would be boring with the topics they were talking about, they were indeed very interesting, poorly timed but interesting none the less....i also had the privilege to sit with some medical and law professionals at one of the dinner outings....the conversations were varied between the girls at the table and the professional folks, they have history and familiarity with each other and tended to keep to themselves but during lapses of conversation between ourselves i would listen to some of theyre topics.....the one that most struck me was theyre validation of the trans folks that were now becoming the experts of our existence and changing the dynamics of the topics, now the opinions and expert advice is coming more and more from those who are living the life themselves instead of those who had no real way to understand or explain it from a lived existence.....we were just taking theyre word for it, now we are seeing valid references from those that walk the walk.

now at my table were two doctors, one presented as male and one presented as female, now this is an assumption on my part which was a topic of one of the speakers after one of the luncheons....my assumption was the female was MtF slightly by height.....but some of the topics talked about seemed to have a male perspective while she talked to the other doctor about personal protection and activities associated with them.

so for me whether info from someone on this sight, a professional, a friend or associate or something you found on the interweb.....weigh where it came from, what makes sense to you, try to check the facts and take from it what will work for your personal reasons.

life is not scripted, sometimes its a gamble and you lose, sometimes your just too darn lucky but you can never predict the results, just prepare by and better the odds by gathering all the possible information out there to help you find a favorable and manageable path to your desired direction in life,

or as a wise man once said....life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what your gonna get....
    Last edited by mykell; 03-28-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: dam auto correct
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

I am kinda glad that my post has generated such a lively and friendly series of responses!
    As i mentioned , the view of dr bowers is really just one viewpoint among many . What does give her extra credit in my view is that she identifies as transgender. And tells stories of her own good and bad experience. As far as "the paved easy road" , well maybe i am optimistic on that . I have been dressing for almost (hic')50 years. I do remember not even being able to bring it up in any conversation. If its a road that i have been on , i remember when it was a dirt road with lots more potholes . A very bumpy road . It really is a lot better these days. I definately do not atribute that to one person. It is taking a lot of folks to make things better.

For me the ideas expressed in the diagram are pretty close to an idea that i already developed on my own. My excitement was finding that someone else has a similar idea. Thats why i put it into the post... This was a good experience for me. So it will be pretty difficult for anyone to spoil it .

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    While Dr Bowers was interesting I didn't always agree with her. I did feel kind of slighted a few times.
    She was shall I say not too friendly to the gay segment of the audience she would kind pass off the questions.Kind of like politicians do.
    I have a few TG friends that think the sun rises and sets with what she says but I don't.
    Call me cynical I guess but TG's seem to follow certain people with a cult like zeal.
    Not me I think for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat (aka Jennie) View Post
    Apparently so, since again you provide a detailed list of people you don't trust but nobody that you do. You describe a cold, dark, cynical world. I'm sorry you have to live there.

Damn, Pat. Funny how your only contribution to this topic is to attack me twice.

Who I "trust" is not your business, nor is it relevant to who is or is not a defining authority on these TG labels. I politely ignored your personal jab the first time and formed a thought-out response, and you just double down and repeat the same 2-bit ad hom attack?

Is this still what they teach you do do in "effective shutting-down of discussion 101?" If so you need to get your money back. This kind of chicanery is exactly why you have a huge backlash of retaliatory legislation rolling over you like a sandstorm, and why your bills are crashing and burning, like, everywhere.

Funny, but not surprising. It leads me to this: The constantly adversarial way the tg movement currently engages society, and especially anyone it sees as critical, is suicidally self defeating.

The irony here is that 99.9% of people don't hate the transgendered, or even care in the slightest, but everyone hates a snake. You are following sacred cows like Bowers right into the slaughterhouse and impaling yourselves on your own poisoned pens, and doing your best to drag us all in along with you. It was the existence of the internet in the last 25 years that has broken down barriers and allowed more freedom, not these loudmouthed opportunistic plastic surgeons, journalists, and phony quasi-civil rights pretenders.

Don't blow it now. Maybe you need to go back to your cabal and deliver the message that it's time for "Cultural War: The RPG" to end, and find a new way to coexist.

Because it's not really me who lives in a dark, cynical, cold fantasy world, is it Pat?

Sorry Wen, I do not believe that Pat was doing what you describe. It is you who have come to this thread to post your opinion in such a hard and demeaning to others way. Why? My read of your first and then second post was similar to Pat's in that they sounded very cynical and maybe even angry. Your opinion is valid, as is everyone else's. However, the tone of your post sounds like a bad hair day, or maybe in my 10 years here, I never realized that is how you write.

If you have personal bad experiences with any of this, please share. Marci Bowers is a respected surgeon who understands and works with those who desire to physically transition. She is respected in her field, makes a lot of money from her work and works with trans organizations to get the word out. Is part of that advertising/marketing? Yes, and why not. She also is there to answer questions and help others understand. She provides others with her opinion and experience and has the qualified background to do so. There is nothing wrong with it, just as there is nothing wrong with having another opinion, maybe like yours.

The way you have presented your opinion though is like talking down to everyone else who does not share that same thought. Why is that? Can you please explain in a civil tone why you feel so strongly about that. We might learn something important by taking the time to listen to your side, if presented in a decent way.

Silver Member
    What, no electrologists in there? I am disappointed I was excluded.

Damn, Pat. Funny how your only contribution to this topic is to attack me twice.
    I'm sorry you think that's what I was doing. I was actually trying to find out what sources you did trust since you dismissed so many as "compromised." I think I had read other posts you made over time and thought you'd have a rational answer. I honestly didn't expect what I got or I'd never have asked in the first place. Again, sorry to have upset you.