Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afraid to dress in public

Afraid to dress in public

I want to start wearing more feminine clothes in public and I thought the best way to start would be by wearing my women's skinny jeans that aren't overly feminine. I did it last Saturday when I went to Kohls, the grocery store and cvs with my mom and felt self-conscious the whole time, luckily we didn't spend very long in each of them. I wanted to do it again this weekend but my fear of being outed as wearing women's clothes (or if someone i know saw me wearing them) got the best of me so I forced myself to wear my regular pants. Any tips on how to get over this fear? I'm young and trying to teach myself to not care what other people think of me but it's hard. So any advice would help!

Thanks!
    Jess B.

Banned Read only
    If the jeans aren't overly "girly" looking people really don't notice or care. Men and "skinny" jeans have gone hand in hand since the 70's so it's not like you'd be the first young man to wear them.

So just put your pants on and walk out the door.

I wear women's jeans most of the time. If they aren't really super decorative, then no one will notice and probably won't if decorative! I wear my shirt tail out so no one gets to see my jeans or the woman's belt I am wearing! Do not worry! I wore blue nail polish with silver sparkles to the grocery store and the manly macho men seemed to be grocery shopping that night and I know at least 3 of them saw my nails and they did not look or speak! You can do it and will be fine! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

you my want to start with the straight cut jeans, they feel great and don't stand out quite so much. Try the thrift store you will find dozens of pairs and you can try them on to your hearts content before purchasing. I have traded all most all of my men's jeans of women's. I love them.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

In a way Jessica part dressing can be more challenging than going out dressed fully enfemm. If it is at all possible to go to a town or city where you don't know people , find a professional makeover place that can not only transform you but also take you out. You are then in 'camouflage' as well as supervised.

Dressing with feminine items is more daunting and more likely for people to think hmm what is he doing.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

in essence, baby steps! I know how fearful it can be. But over time, I do little things..... womens jeans for starters. if it's cold, a jacket or sweater will cover your bra (even stuffed)

Bluejeans are bluejeans. After you've worn them a few times you'll realize it's not a problem. Then go buy a few pair and throw out your guy jeans.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Jessica, if u r afraid of being outed? Maybe u aren't ready to go out dressed yet. When u no longer care about being outed, u may not mind so much when folks make comments or give u the fish eye!

Most dressers reside in the closet and r quite happy there. Why? Because we don't want local folks to know we dress!

I go out dressed a lot. But, never close to home or to vanilla venues, if I can avoid it. I'll NEVER get used the comments, chuckles, and rolling eyes!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Hey Jess!
    It realy depends on if you wanna just wear more feminine clothing or you aim to go out completly as girl. In both cases, baby steps are realy essential. Your fear is in your head only and you need to convice your mind, yourself that there is nothing to be afraid of.
    You can start as I did. Little things, neutral things. I start with girl's hoodie and what is so girly on it? Nothing! Well besides tighter cut then guy's hoodie but nobody ever notice that (besides my mom saying "isnt that little bit too small for you?" ). Jeans were next. Classic cut or normal cut jeans same. Mostly. Again nobody will bat a n eye. Skinny jeans are more girly yes, but only bcs ppl think is girl's only fashion. Actualy skinny jeans for guys are "in" these days and if you have legs for them then no worry there! Go for it!. But be prepared to buy some handbag since you cant realy put stuff in pockets. See that, unisex but little bit girly handbag is another piece you can add to your look.
    Doing these little and innocents steps you can introduce femine clothing to your day to day guy's life and build confidence. Then one day you can step out as girl completly.
    Just dont be afraid and dont get turned down if someone have negative comment! And read my signature
    "Do not care what others think, do what you must" - Javik, ME3

Welcome to the forum Jessica, start off by wearing jeans and later a top that is less masculine after this you need to go all the way and wear a bra and a wig.

Yes it is a big step but you grow confidence as you go down the pathway.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I started off by wearing women's shirt and a men's zipper jacket over it. That way I knew that I was wearing something femme inside. Slowly built up the confidence to unzip it and finally was able to walk confidently without a jacket. I 've personally felt that most times it's just my head imagining things while in reality people are just going about their business

Quote Originally Posted by jane_wills89 View Post
    I 've personally felt that most times it's just my head imagining things while in reality people are just going about their business
    Exactly!
    I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

Hi Jess and welcome,

So you went out in skinny jeans and what happened? Nothing! As you didn't write anything we can only assume that you didn't get any remarks, you didn't notice anyone giving you the evil eye stare, no mobs with pitchforks and torches. Folks here, like me who don't pass, go out fully enfemme and yes we get read. Goes with the turf but like you experienced, folks just go about their business without bothering us. I will however sympathize by adding the caveat that I don't go out dressed close to home on all but very rare occasions so I understand your concerns about locals reading you.

The problem is, if you want to start wearing femme items while out more and more then there's a bullet to be bitten. How do you do that, JFDI, Just Flippin' Do It. The more you do it the easier it becomes. One thing you might try is wearing them around the house for as long as possible prior to going out then when you do it won't fell as significant. You've also chosen the right environment to go out in. You're far less likely to find anyone talking notice of you in a busy store than anywhere else.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Silver Member
    Hi, Jessica, and welcome to this fabulous forum! "with your mom"... how old are you? Do you live at home? That would help in advice given to you. Do you have any other girly garments? Are you able to adequately secure them someplace?
    Tell us a little more about yourself, and how long you've felt as you do. We are here to try to answer your questions and to offer advice as best we can, but to do so, more personal info is needed, if you can give it.

I can understand wanting to work up to full femme a little at a time, but honestly that wouldn't work for me. It's full guy mode or full girl mode. Can't go out "in between". I feel like when you're only half done, you're a guy in women's clothes, and that will stand out to people. When fully femme I'm presenting as a woman and that's generally how the average passerby perceives me.

Me too! I just don't want to come out to family members mostly. And there's a chance that I'll run into someone I know that very well may tell someone in my family. I've also been self employed with my own business for a long time. I'm known by many people in my home town as a guy so I'm leery about going out dressed unless it's in another town.

But I did step out last week - my first time out in my home town and my first time out dressed alone.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Platinum Member
    Your thoughts control how you feel. And sometimes your feelings can influence your thoughts. Feeling self conscious is a case of baseless apprehension planting corresponding thoughts and vice versa.

No one will notice Women's jeans. Darn few will even notice if you're wearing women's sandals, even if they have low to Medium heels. And unless they get right in your face, light eye makeup won't be apparent.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 03-27-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley090 View Post
    Hey Jess!
    It realy depends on if you wanna just wear more feminine clothing or you aim to go out completly as girl. In both cases, baby steps are realy essential. Your fear is in your head only and you need to convice your mind, yourself that there is nothing to be afraid of.
    You can start as I did. Little things, neutral things. I start with girl's hoodie and what is so girly on it? Nothing! Well besides tighter cut then guy's hoodie but nobody ever notice that (besides my mom saying "isnt that little bit too small for you?" ). Jeans were next. Classic cut or normal cut jeans same. Mostly. Again nobody will bat a n eye. Skinny jeans are more girly yes, but only bcs ppl think is girl's only fashion. Actualy skinny jeans for guys are "in" these days and if you have legs for them then no worry there! Go for it!. But be prepared to buy some handbag since you cant realy put stuff in pockets. See that, unisex but little bit girly handbag is another piece you can add to your look.
    Doing these little and innocents steps you can introduce femine clothing to your day to day guy's life and build confidence. Then one day you can step out as girl completly.
    Just dont be afraid and dont get turned down if someone have negative comment! And read my signature
    Hey Ashley! Your right I eventually want to go out as a girl completely. That's a good idea with the hoodie, I'll probably try that! I've actually been looking at cross body handbags on amazon because when I went out I put my stuff in my sweatshirt pockets and it ended up looking funny because it weighed my sweatshirt down. I'll try my best not to be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Hi Jess and welcome,

So you went out in skinny jeans and what happened? Nothing! As you didn't write anything we can only assume that you didn't get any remarks, you didn't notice anyone giving you the evil eye stare, no mobs with pitchforks and torches. Folks here, like me who don't pass, go out fully enfemme and yes we get read. Goes with the turf but like you experienced, folks just go about their business without bothering us. I will however sympathize by adding the caveat that I don't go out dressed close to home on all but very rare occasions so I understand your concerns about locals reading you.

The problem is, if you want to start wearing femme items while out more and more then there's a bullet to be bitten. How do you do that, JFDI, Just Flippin' Do It. The more you do it the easier it becomes. One thing you might try is wearing them around the house for as long as possible prior to going out then when you do it won't fell as significant. You've also chosen the right environment to go out in. You're far less likely to find anyone talking notice of you in a busy store than anywhere else.
    I'll try that next time. I didn't think about it like that. My thinking was if it is busy a lot of people there that means there will be more people looking at me. I was thinking about going to a different town, It's just a matter of finding something I want to do in that town.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    I can understand wanting to work up to full femme a little at a time, but honestly that wouldn't work for me. It's full guy mode or full girl mode. Can't go out "in between". I feel like when you're only half done, you're a guy in women's clothes, and that will stand out to people. When fully femme I'm presenting as a woman and that's generally how the average passerby perceives me.
    I know what you mean, I don't like the guy in women's clothes look either. Did you just practice doing makeup and all the other stuff until you felt you would pass? Maybe if I don't like trying to ease into it, I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Jessica, if u r afraid of being outed? Maybe u aren't ready to go out dressed yet. When u no longer care about being outed, u may not mind so much when folks make comments or give u the fish eye!

Most dressers reside in the closet and r quite happy there. Why? Because we don't want local folks to know we dress!

I go out dressed a lot. But, never close to home or to vanilla venues, if I can avoid it. I'll NEVER get used the comments, chuckles, and rolling eyes!
    That's what I'm afraid of, I can't stand when people do that. I feel like if I wait until I no longer care, I'll be waiting for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny22 View Post
    Hi, Jessica, and welcome to this fabulous forum! "with your mom"... how old are you? Do you live at home? That would help in advice given to you. Do you have any other girly garments? Are you able to adequately secure them someplace?
    Tell us a little more about yourself, and how long you've felt as you do. We are here to try to answer your questions and to offer advice as best we can, but to do so, more personal info is needed, if you can give it.
    Thanks! Just think young, I don't really want to give my age right now. Everyone I live with knows about my crossdressing and are pretty accepting of it, except for my brother who is somewhat alright with it he's just more close minded about these things, so there's no real reason to "secure" anything, I just keep them in my room. As for feminine clothes I have a few things, but are pretty noticeable as women's clothes if you look at them. If you want an actual list just let me know and I can make one. It just started getting serious in November.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I appreciate it.

Jess

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Welcome Jessica
    Its girls jeans for me. I like them better and they are more comfortable so thats why I wear them.
    What are you worried about is my question? There are no jeans police out there to get you.LOL
    If someone sees you what can they do?
    I wear most all kinds of girls jeans plain pocket, fancy pocket,skinny ,boot cut ,no pocket,side zip whatever and have for years and not one of my guy friends has ever said anything about them.
    Its all in your mind and the only one that has a problem with it is you so you need to ask yourself to stop being fearful of what others think.
    Wear what you want and don't worry about it.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 03-28-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Hey Jess,
    If everybody you live with already know that you like to cd, then your "gates to girly life" are wide open realy! As Jane said 90% of our fears are just in our minds. As far I can say when I was outside in half mode (jeans, hoodie, littlebit feminine hanfbag) that none of my catastrophic scenarios didn hapend! No ppl running on street,screaming and pointing in my way like I have some deadly disease. Nor when I went out completly as girl then no SWAT teams with armored cars and helicopters waiting for me behind corners trying to arrest me or shoot me down (well if they were there then they were pretty sneaky ). So yeah no worries. Put on whatever you feel comfortable in and hit streets!
    Also as it has been stated here many times, if you look confident then ppl even "try to avoid you" in term they mind they business twice bcs you ll look like that person you dont wanna mess with.
    Also about going out in "half mode". Most of cd's so far don't wanna look like "guy in dress" yes, but there is nothing wrong with little bit feminine guy look. Also stepping outside as girl is harder then said, especialy when go full girl mode for first time. Again personal experience, I did try to do it this way but it did not work. Always ended in doorway frozen by my fear. Needed to build confidence little bit over time. Highly recomend practice makeup skills until point you feel that you can pass and not seeing guy with makeup in mirror but rather little bit boyish girl, it boost your confidence o lot.
    Build your confidence piece by piece, small victories and break down walls of fear you build around you.
    "Do not care what others think, do what you must" - Javik, ME3

Wow, interesting thread, and it brings back lots of memories.

I started crossdressing at age 13 back in 1972. Slowly at first, (I was in 8th grade) and by 9th grade, I had to take a semester of English at night. During that semester, I decided to wear panties under my regular jeans and was in total fear some would notice panty lines. . . No one did. .

It progressed to wearing a 36B bra under a jacket on occasion, no one noticed. .

Over time, I have added much more and a few weeks ago, I took a girlfriend to an outdoor street fair wearing a long black skirt, black blouse, ballet flats, tights and in guy mode. No problems. . no funny looks, no problems. BUT it is not something I would do anytime anywhere. . Use a bit of common sense. It is tougher in Junior high as your sphere of roaming is small, as is your group of friends. News travels fast in such condions.

But when you get out on your own, you have so much more freedom. I have been wearing a 38B with breast forms under scrubs (to work) Tee shirts, Tiki shirts (loud patterns) Dark shirts and no one has ever noticed as far as I know. . Likewise with womens jeans, and ballet flats (black with Black socks) it does not stand out and people are not likely to mess with you. . .

Good luck on your journey. . evolving is part of the fun!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Ashley is right.
    It takes baby steps to build up confidence so thats what you need to remember.
    None of us here just decided one day to dress as a girl and everything was perfect.
    Lots of practice with clothes and make up is a slow process that takes time.
    Patience, practice, trial and error are all part of the game so don't give up.
    If your look is awful one day and you are not happy don't worry you just learned what not to do.
    Keep trying new things each time you dress up and you will find what works for you.

Jess,

You wrote;" My thinking was if it is busy a lot of people there that means there will be more people looking at me. I was thinking about going to a different town, It's just a matter of finding something I want to do in that town."

Ask yourself this; if you've spent 30 minutes walking around a busy store shopping, if asked, how many people in there could you give an accurate description of? In truth you may have noticed one or two but most just don't register. For all the other folks in the store, you're one of the ones that didn't register.

What to do in another town? Go shopping. Just meander the mall. get used to simple being you getting out and about amongst the muggles. If you find something you like, ask too try it on and buy it if it suits. Stop and have a coffee and a bun. One thing I'd recommend is go find a store that'll give you makeup advice and find out what foundation, blusher, lippy etc suits your complexion. Word of warning; be prepared to part with your money. Even the basics can set you back a few $$$'s but it can save you in the long term as you won't waste money on stuff that doesn't suit you.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Another voice to the "Just Do It" chorus... I do my weekly grocery shopping in leggings and a sweatshirt. Sure, they're black leggings, but they have unmistakably femme detailing - one pair has a mesh panel that wraps around the calf, while another pair is Lululemon - but I've never been asked or harassed and I've never perceived any undue attention.

I've even made runs to Home Depot in them without any trouble. And tying back to the opening line, I even wore a pair of dark blue/black print Nike Epic Lux tights to Home Depot the other day without any comment. I needed something, ran out without thinking about what I had on, found it to be much ado about nothing.

If you're really afraid, it might be helpful to have a reason prepared to deflect - for me, it's that the leggings are insanely comfortable and my wife likes the way my butt looks in them.

Both true, BTW. I wore the leggings to drive to my in-laws for Thanksmas - our Thanksgiving/Christmas mashup since my wife's siblings are a-holes - and my wife commented on them as we were walking around getting settled.

Our conversation:
    "Are you not wearing anything under those?" No; bunching/sliding issues.
    "Hmm.. I hadn't noticed until now." You were looking at my butt?
    "Yeah. I really like the way it looks in those pants, I just hadn't noticed that you weren't wearing undies until now." :-D :-X

First you need to think hard where you are going with this. This isn’t an easy question, and something only you can answer. I would suggest going all in. take a dive to a different town. Go to safe places like a big grocery store where you have to stand in line. Once you master your fears you will be able to go anywhere. Forget about that blending, perfect women stuff. Be the best Crossdressing TG person you can be. Be nice and courteous and I think you will be amazed how people respond. People mostly respond in kind. They have their own lives and just don’t care.