Thread: Where they know your name... table for one tonight after a long month

Where they know your name... table for one tonight after a long month

Been dressed all day, including at work in a remote office where I have the privacy of being the only one who works there. It is located in a four story office building, and I have started to dress when working there recently. None of the folks I ride with in the elevator or cross paths with in the parking lot or lobby appear to care what I am wearing, so I will likely continue as long as I am productive and comfortable.

Started the day with the barista writing "Laura" instead of "Lauren" on my latte cup. It was quite busy and noisy when I was passing through the line... so I think I can live with that.

Ended a very busy month today, and took off a little early as a small self-reward. Went home to drop off the computer and recharge a bit, then went for a late afternoon visit to Fashion Island. Those of you in SoCal will know the place.. a large upscale outdoor shopping center in Newport Beach.

Browsed a while, and decided that I really didn't need to buy anything. Strolled about and visited the koi pond, which is a refreshing and relaxing place to sit a while or just walk around or across. Sat my camera on a table in a couple of places and took some photos with the timer. As I was getting ready to walk away a gentleman approached and asked if I would like for him to take my photo. He had his daughter with him, and I think she was about ten. I smiled and said "Yes, that would be wonderful." He took several photos, and as he handed the camera back to me, I looked at his daughter and told her "You have a wonderful Dad." She beamed, and he looked very pleased. I then asked if he would like me to take their photos, and he almost floated across the path which crossed the pond, his daughter held close. When I handed him back his phone, he said that I had made his day, and thanked me warmly, then gave me a hug. Never, ever, did I expect this. Most wonderful, indeed.

and there is more...

Having been dressed all day, and it being Friday, I thought... well. .. dinner.

Have gone to a particular upscale restaurant three times previously. First by myself, then twice more: first in a group of four, and then again in a group of two. (Check out Jenny22's posts) Decided to just head over and enjoy the evening solo. Was greeted at the door by "Hi Lauren!. Nice to see you again!" And a hug. Wow. Customer for life..

It was apparently girls night out as I was seated at a two-top with a group of three women on one side, a group of four on the other, and several tables in the general seating area occupied by groups of four and five women, obviously enjoying their evening social gathering on a Friday night. Drinks and delicious food, and a friendly atmosphere created a space where smiles and laughter were abundant.

None of the women gave me a second look, and I observed that within the groups, none of them were looking at the other groups, either. Can't say that was true for me, however, and I very much enjoyed being in close company with several VERY attractive women. There were a couple who could have passed as attractive crossdressers.. a somewhat random thought I had while savoring my lemon drop and calamari.

The staff was attentive, and thoughtful, and I was just another customer in an upscale restaurant to them.

When leaving, I stopped and talked with the two young women who had greeted me so warmly when I had arrived. They asked about the others who had dined with me previously, warmly inquiring as to how they were doing. They were genuinely interested, and I lingered a bit to extend our conversation. Ended with a photo or two (will share photos tomorrow), and a warm hug.

Delightful day, amazing acceptance in the late afternoon, and being welcomed back with sincere warmth to round off the evening. Could not ask for a more.

Well.. just now finishing off my decaf soy mocha, in another place where they fully accept me, and this time they put "Lauren" on the cup.

A wish for you to have experiences like this. Best, always.

Lauren

Sounds like a wonderful day out. Wish we all had them....

Sounds wonderful! Maybe some day! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Platinum Member
    It feels really good, doesn't it!?!

Isn't normality wonderful?

What a pleasant story. Your evening "reward" was wonderful.

Sounds like a wonderful day! Talking with some people, if we go and dress right there is more acceptance of us.
    Part Time Girl

I used to live in Newport Beach and I have had my hair done at the Nordstrom salon there several times! What a wonderful day!

Silver Member
    I'm sad that I wasn't with you this time. Boo hoo hoo!

You are likely to have more wonderful days like this and when you stop thinking about them you will then know you have succeeded in you journey.:-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

What a great day! Thanks for sharing it with us! There seem to be more people treating us like regular folks if we go out and interact with them.

Great story, thanks for sharing Lauren.

Karen

Thank you ALL!! Still glowing..

missNikki, I am beginning to think we all can have them. Right place, right attitude, it can be done..

Lana Mae, yes, definitely some day. I have no illusions of "passing", and that is a big one to surrender and still be comfortable in public.

Kim, oh yes! Really good!

Laura, thanks for loaning me your name in the morning at the coffee shop. Normality is indeed, wonderful!

Consuelo, thank you for reading! I do love to write.. and yes, the evening "reward" was wonderful.

Dana, it was truly a wonderful day, and talking to people is a big plus. Being comfortable enough to reveal the person behind the lipstick opens the door to others in accepting us as interesting people with whom they wish to talk and share their thoughts and questions.

TraciT, how wonderful that you have had your hair done at the Nordstrom salon at Fashion Island! Will definitely need to check that out on my next visit. Hope you are able to visit from time to time. There will be room at the table...

Jenny, yes they asked about you, and were very interested in your story. I'll let you fill them in a bit more next time. This was literally spur of the moment as I originally was planning on dinner at another restaurant at Fashion Island (Tru Food), but the line was too long. Next time!

Beverley, yes, I think there be many more of these days. Enjoying the journey..

Salina, I appreciate your reading and comments! Great day, an being treated like a regular person is very re-affirming of the good nature which I think is part of most folks. I think being comfortable and approachable is something people sense at a basic level, and are very warm and responsive in return. Great day, indeed.

Karen, thank you! Hope you have days like this.

And... as promised, photos. By the koi pond, walking about at twilight, leaving the restaurant. A wonderful, wonderful day...

Lauren
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lauren Richards; 04-01-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add note