Lauren,
There is some really well grounded and solid advice in these posts. Safety to me is primarily about being very aware. When out as Lauren, I think as Lauren, and act as Lauren, always keeping one foot firmly planted in my comfort zone. I have yet to have a bad experience, so really can't share any wisdom based on the negative side. Would like to keep it that way. I always use a handrail when climbing and descending stairs, and follow the same sort of safety practices when en femme. Avoiding risk is the best defense. I primarily go solo, so am always very aware of my surroundings and how I present myself. Have long past stopped worrying about being "clocked", so focus on being dressed appropriate for my outings to coffee shops, malls, and restaurants. An attitude of confidence and a smile will get you where you would like to go. If they don't, you should probably not be there.

Enjoy! Go out there and be the best Lauren you can be. Looking forward to tales of adventure and joy from you. Safety First.

(The Other) Lauren