Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it the genes?

Is it the genes?

I have never been able to find out if CD'ing is ever inherited ? I have wondered if any of my male relatives (father, uncles, grandfathers, etc.) were crossdressers and that it was passed on to me through the genes? As I am in my 50's and still hide the fact I Cd (only my wife knows) I have no doubt that my earlier generation relatives would have hidden that fact as well so who would know this?

Does anyone out there know if there is any research on CD'ing being passed done through generations? Or better still know first hand of any of their relatives being CD??

It is an interesting thought to me....

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Science has long held that genetic traits can be passed along, however to my knowledge there is at this time no known tg or cd gene. But science does not know what all of the genes in the human genome do. This link to Wikipedia stays up to date.

On a personal note. I have a niece who is CD/TG/genderfluid, but who does not know about me. For personal reasons, I have kept it that way, but for years have encouraged her to be herself
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Aspiring Member
    Nature or nurture... nobody really knows. I have good reason to believe it was nurture in my case. Or maybe the nurture triggered the nature. Who knows? I am what I am, and I own who I am. I do what I need to do to stay sane.

I think there are things passed on...I do think my dad has tendencies at least. That said, my son does not have these same things , I just know. so obviously not a concreate answer.
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

I have no knowledge of any male relatives or ancestors being CD/TG/TS. In my case my earliest memories are of being interested in and wanting to wear girls clothes and be pretty. I never wanted to be a girl, just to be a boy dressing as and being accepted as a girl. Whether I was born that way or not I'm not sure.

My own personal thoughts, (I have been a crossdresser for 43 years, since '74). .

Is that there may be a genetic "predisposition" that may allow a person to want to express more feminine aspects of their personality, but what happens is a function then of WHAT happens to them as they grow.

The idea that Feminine hormone surge during a suceptable time during pregnancy contributes, but still not proven.

So, for me, it comes down to, now why did we do it the first time, but the second and subsequent times.

I started crossdressing (the second and subsequent time) about adolescence and by wearing a girlfriends bra and panties. (she did not know)

There is subtle but important reinforcement often with masturbation and orgasm over time. Additionally, like many compounds put into the human body, over time, tolerance builds and more is required. In this case, It can be progressing to breast forms, womens shoes, finally culminating in dressing in public. From there, I can see how easily it would be to start to visualize ones self as the opposite sex. . .After reinforcenement for a while, It is easy to understand how crossdressing progresses to transgender. .

The key is how far one allows the reinforcement and positive visualization to continue. I have not considered past being a guy who likes to crossdress. . . Sure I have thought about a boob job, but in reality, I do not see that happeing as it does not comport with who I am. .

Of course that does not include those who "felt the urge to crossdress" as a young child, but statistics I have seen indicate that most of these individuals, revert back to contentment with their assigned sex and gender. .

Then too, I may be way off. . . none of us know for absolute sure!

I seriously doubt that anyone's genes care in the least bit what gender clothing one wears. As such, when it comes to pure CD'ing, it is fair to say that nurture overrides nature. But genetics or another developmental factor will likely be deemed the culprit for those who are TG/TS, or nature over nurture. Where the lines get blurry is when nature manifests itself in behavior (i.e. - CD'ing) or when nurture develops to a point where the TG abides.

Good luck to science to figure all of this out.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

NikiMichelle: In the Midevil
    Age the dress code so to
    Sppeak was that of long cloak's for the men and also for the women .The
    Men who were robbers/theives had a robinhood long pants shirt
    With a hat.The Army men
    Of midevil days heavy clothing with metal for sheilds for protection.from
    The swords spears&Arrows. SO YOU
    Can see crossdressing started way back in time
    Of 1200_1500.

Perhaps some nature, some nurture, and some, some combination of the two. Like sexual preference, there's someone for every point along the curve. The human animal is a very complex organism.
    Dawn, if you simply grow up wearing what all the other men in your society are wearing, whether it's frocks or pants, that's not really crossdressing. Crossdressing is wearing the clothing usually reserved for the opposite sex, often with the intent on appearing to be as such. For while I don't adopt feminine mannerisms or voice (though I sort of started to back when I still thought I was really supposed to be a girl) I still crave all the visual/tactile/aural/olfactory feedback that points me to believing that I'm a girl.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Platinum Member
    There are lots of mechanisms for the emergence of behaviors besides genetic inheritance. Look up epigenetics to learn a bit about how various environmental factors can infuence gene expression. And then, add to this confusing mix the social dynamics of life in a mass media environment... Hard to tease out cause and effect

Aspiring Member
    I never gave it much thought. I have no knowledge of any cross dresser in the family. I just know that I e NB joy my girl time and hope it never leaves.

Watch National Geographics Special on Transgender. Yes, there is a gene related to transgender. They also noted there was not one related to sexual preferences though.

Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

I do believe my maternal grandfather may have dressed from time to time and toward the end of his life, was contemplating hormones and perhaps even GRS. (He was diagnosed with cancer around that same time and passed away within about five years, which precluded his actually acting on this.) But the irony is that he was my grandmother's second husband and not a blood relative of mine, although we were much closer and spent more time together than any of my biological grandparents.

I am not aware that any of my genetic ancestors or extended family had any gender issues.

- Diane

I know for sure that my father was a crossdresser as I found his stash hidden in the garage, also by what an uncles second wife said at a family reunion my uncle, that is my dads brother was a crossdresser also, that means that I'm carrying on the family tradition.
    Sophie Mosley

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    I don't think it is genetic. I believe it is mainly related to early child hood experience and upbringing. It's permanent once it kicks in, either way.

I don't think it's the genes, however, my cousin is also a cd, only I know.

Banned Read only
    Niki,

I accept my wiring was different at birth, who or what caused that I can't say . The problem is when you try and discover these facts you start to put blame on family members, maybe we are better not knowing .

I think you are born the way we are. No one would chose to live a life most of us, have had to live, never being your real self, afraid some one will find out about you. When your young, you don't under stand why you think like you do, most of the time you think I am just a sick weird person. Took a long time for me to under stand and except my self. finely, I live the way I want to 99 % of the time. No, I do not know of any others in my family. Marshalynn

There probably are some poorly defined genetic links that involve various kinds of behaviors which, when triggered, can lead to an adaptive behavior that includes CD and TG activities. Also, even if the genetics are "normal" mistakes can be made in the timing of various events during the development of the fetus. It was once thought that we all start out as female but at about 6 weeks testosterone kicks in an modifies that to produce a male. Now, it is known that testosterone acts at a very low level much earlier. Still, the female is considered to be the undifferentiated human and the male is the differentiated human. But hormonal actions are very targeted and even a little variation in what is "supposed to happen" can be greatly magnified later. But most of all of this has to do with sex and not gender identity - there are some fundamental links between the two, but for the most part they are different entities that act more or less independently.

After we are born, we are basically genderless in terms of identity until we are between 2 and 3 years old when we begin to identify in terms of gender with our genetically determined sex. But during that time, in addition to possible small errors during fetal development, social things can happen that gets imprinted and when our gender identity begins to form it can head off in a different direction that is inconsistent with normal expectations. Our gender identity appears to continue developing until we are around 16 at which point it becomes fairly set. By then any patterns set by pure genetic action have been overwhelmed by all the adaptive choices we have made and thus any hope of actually finding a clear genetic link to gender identity becomes quite dim. Those modifications, as Kim pointed out, are the subject of epigenetics which tends to be the great controller of what genetics actually produces. Genetics produces the protein production foundation; epigenetics tells the genes when to do what they do. Thus in behavior patterns, epigenetics becomes the master program and that is modifiable to suit certain situations which is called adaptation. It is such a complex non-deterministic process most anything can eventually develop but in a vast majority of people it amazingly comes out more or less according to expectation. Thus, with all that variability it statistically produces what we call the gender spectrum.

Obviously, culture plays a big role in all of this because gender identity and its forms varies all over the place in cultures other than the one here. One must look far beyond what happens in Western Civilizations to get a hint of what is universally true for humans. Yet, through it all, as some have stated, there probably are genes that do lay a highly generalized foundation for gender behaviors, but what is built on that foundation is dependent on the effects of culture, personal reactions to various events, and many other aspects. Gender behaviors are important to the survival of the species because no creature has a more complex family life than humans. It requires a well designed division labor to succeed and those behaviors are the meat and potatoes of gender identity. It is more important that the behaviors are done than which sex does them. Thus, cross-gender behaviors are actually common. As for the expression of those identities in terms of dress and mannerisms that seems to be primarily doing what is most compatible with how you personally view the world and your place in it.

To my knowledge, none of my relatives or ancestors were TG/CD. I do find it interesting though, my parents had 3 girls who died at birth(mom's B/P had something to do with it) or shortly after and I am here! I was a last chance sort of deal. I will never be able to find out about (whatever the drug was called) that may have had an influence on me. (if mom took it!) So it is what it is! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

To me it doesn't matter why......I JUST WANT TO BE PRETTY!!!!!!
    Lace and Smiles,
    Lisa 👗

To date, I don't believe it's been established. The two most popular models are one where the TG trait is genetic and one where it is an environmental factor in the womb. Twin studies have found that there's a higher likelihood that identical twins will both be TG than of fraternal twins being TG which some imterpret as supporting a genetic involvement. But it's notable that not all twin pairs are both TG. Some people studying it also believe that it's a mix which includes an event during development and a gene variation that makes the forming child susceptible to developing as transgender because of it. In European cultures (including colonies like the US) transgenderism is suppressed, so it's hard to do genealogical studies but fortuneately there are a few cultures where transgenderism is not taboo and those populations can be studied. So far there is no convincing data for any of the hypotheses. It may also be that there is more than one reason someone develops as TG -- both a genetic and an environmental cause.

I love to follow the science and I hope at a future point we can unequivocally point to a biological basis for transgenderism as that would settle a number of arguments. But on the whole I consider all questions that boil down to "why am I TG?" to be useless. It doesn't matter if it's genetics or wandering spirits -- the only question that matters is what are you going to do with this gift you've been given?
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

It is the genes, my nephew is gay I believe my late brother had gay tendencies and of course I dress. I know a retired Dr and have spoken often about the why's and wherefores and he categorically states that it is a genetic thing of differing degrees, that is why there are so many gender differences within our community.
    An expression frequently used is "Wired differently" that is true in its own way in that this "wiring" happens during birth and how we turn out in life manifests itself in various ways.

Can't imagine any of my family members being a CDer. But from what I read, there are two times during pregnancy that determine whether the child will be male or female. Basically we all start out female, then early on in the pregnancy there may be a shot of testosterone at the right time that makes the body start to develop as a male, if that shot of testosterone doesn't happen, then of course the fetus continues as a female. At this time, our brains are still unaffected, until later in the pregnancy when a male developing fetus is supposed to get another shot of testosterone to align the brain with the body. If that second shot doesn't happen, or is week, that can leave the brain more feminine. Likewise, for FtoM, the female fetus may get a shot of testosterone in that late stage when they shouldn't have, causing a female to feel more masculine.

Tina

Aspiring Member
    Excellent question and I have considered answers for decades. Not sure.