Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Crossdressing" is an offensive term...

"Crossdressing" is an offensive term...

I came across a CNN article that chronicled a LGBT group of Oklahoma youth visiting their states capital. Unfortunately, their visit coincided with an email that stated "crossdresser in the building ". While I agreed that this was an awful and ignorant statement, the response from the group leader left me felling marginalized and upset. The quote was "crossdressers is an offensive term". Below is my email to the organization. What are your thoughts??

Hello, I'm writing to express my objection to the statement of "crossdresser is an offensive term" that was reported in the recent article I read on CNN. I was immediately outraged about the incident involving your group of students visiting the state capital and the email that stated "crossdresser in the building ". I was extremely upset by this and fully in support of your organization. However, as I read on, I came to the part where you representative made the statement that "crossdresser" is an offensive term. That is where I take issue. As a person who identifies as a crossdresser and a transgender person, I was hurt by this. Coming from a person who is representing the lbgT community, I would expect more sensitivity. Yes, it was awful what was contained in that email, but only by the fact that the group was being singled out inappropriately and most definitely incorrectly. However, crossdressers are a part of the same community and deserve the same respect. We are the most over looked segment, but are still human and have a need to be excepted like every one else.

Thank you for your time, Pete/Piper, proud crossdresser.

Sent from my iPhone

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Here is the link to the article: http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/12/us/lgb...rnd/index.html

Platinum Member
    The term in itself certainly isn't offensive. If I were a transsexual, I would object that I was NOT cross dressing. As a transgendered person, but a bit ambiguous on what gender is and what I am, if called a cross dresser, I'd say, "maybe, maybe not...check back with me later..." If I was a male who identified unambiguously with being a male, but enjoyed wearing women's clothes, the right response might be 'yes, so what?"

Thanks Kim, I respect your response. I'm reacting as a full blown crossdresser who knows who I am. I'm offended by the fact that the term "crossdresser". Is used in a negative way...

If this doesn't strike a chord here, we'll, then I just give up...

If this doesn't strike a chord here, we'll, then I just give up...

"Crossdresser" is not an offensive term. Crossdresser is the word for what we are, plain and simple. Too many people getting offended by way too many things in this crazy world nowadays.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-13-2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: be nice

That's my point. It's should never be an offense term in anyway. It was totally used in the wrong context. But should
    Never be considered offensive!!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I know some trans online that hate the term "crossdresser". Those of us that r, r simply not "trans" enuff to be included with them, in their eyes. Considering what they've gone thru? They may have a point!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I get that... just trying to illustrate that some of us do simply identify as crossdressers... I totally agree that misidentifing someone as a crossdresser is wrong.

The polite version of my response is they have a lot to learn. The rest will remain .

Thank you giuseppina!! You validate my concern!!!

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I've always identified myself as a crossdresser, I'm not TG, TS or any other acronym you care to mention. If people want to assign other labels it's up to them.I'm happy with what I call myself.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Crossdresser is certainly preferable to transvestite for instance. I think the problem in general is there are very few positive role models for CDs. Face it if you have a CD in a movie it is generally as comic relief or a psycho.

That is interesting. I do consider myself as transgender. I feel like that is an umbrella term for us all! I'm also proud to call myself that!!

Yes! Totally!

I read that article before and I don't think the situation was handled well.

It seems like rather than getting your panties all in a twist, a better approach would have been to educate the person who used the term crossdresser. I didn't really think the intent was evil. Most muggles don't understand all the different LGBTQA . . . terms through no fault of their own.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Never thought of it as an offensive term but the way it was used was poorly worded to say the least Kind of like "Monster in the Building" Transgender would have been a better term
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    I've always understood that Transgender is the Umbrella term for a myriad of groups.
    Trans-Umbrella.jpg
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You could do what the SJW's do raise hell in the streets, get offended over everything, paint your hair green and claim to be a feminist.

Banned Read only
    I think many people have issues with identifying as LGBTQ primarily ahead of humanity - the only umbrella that truly exists for us.

I understand that people of similarity are bundled together. I don't understand the will to then accept, take or self assign a label and perpetuate the mess. Language is so powerful. To identify someone as a group is dehumanising.

Banned Read only
    Patti,
    I'm so pleased you took the time to Email that reply, we have to stand up to comments like this , it doesn't matter what term they use to describe us it's the thought that went behind the comment, it should never have been made . It will be interesting now what the reply is , that is if they have the courage to make a reply. Maybe give them a while and remind them you are expecting a reply and even some sort of official apology .

Sorry Sandin. You may take offense but many of us here do not. Transgender - TG is our umbrella term used by most on this site. Labels are an aid to communication, sometimes accurate and sometimes not. If everyone talks clearly and already knows the topic and group involved, then maybe you can dismiss labels. The real world needs them. Not all of us are like you, a rare clear person.

I did not read the article so do not know the context to their objections to the term. If they were all TS, then they have a clear and defendable point. Otherwise, I doubt the validity of their statement/objections.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    Sorry Sandin. You may take offense but many of us here do not. Transgender - TG is our umbrella term used by most on this site. Labels are an aid to communication, sometimes accurate and sometimes not. If everyone talks clearly and already knows the topic and group involved, then maybe you can dismiss labels. The real world needs them. Not all of us are like you, a rare clear person.

I did not read the article so do not know the context to their objections to the term. If they were all TS, then they have a clear and defendable point. Otherwise, I doubt the validity of their statement/objections.
    Not offended or persuaded! We all have names (which we also didn't choose). Is Cross Dresser a label or description? I mean if we're handing out identities based on activities I have a few that should be no more offensive..

Banned Spammer
    No single word is offensive. Every word is just a word that tells you about something.
    What is important us the context behind it.

Not a quote but George Carlin said this and he's dead on.

Someone says crossdresser with a sneer then that's bad, someone says it with a shrug then its fine.

Banned Read only
    I read the article and watched the video. Accepting the apology whoever sent the email had no authority the question comes down to whether "cross dresser is an offensive term" in the context of the moment. A am assuming not all of the LGBT students and possibly none are "crossdressers" in the classic sense. Or the sense most uniformed people mean it. Perhaps the person's intent was to state those kids who were wearing clothing of the opposite sex are more than kids wearing clothing of the opposite sex. More in line that this is not a Halloween parade down main street on October 31st. A transwoman/transgirl or a transman/transboy is really not a cross dresser..no? In agreement with that premise? If I was a high school transwoman I would be offended if all someone saw was a boy wearing a dress. The same with the opposite sex.

I have stated ad nausea on this site that I do not know why I wear women's clothing on occasion. I know wearing women's clothing is a stress reliever,,,an escape mechanism. But, why wearing all the finery a natural woman wears when there may be other ways to seek relief from stress. Anyway, emulating a woman to include makeup, wig, simulated breasts seems to be just more than wearing the clothes. Perhaps it is insulting to many to have your inner being reduced to wearing cloth.

Aspiring Member
    I regard the term cross dresser as descriptive and it is the one I use of myself. I do not see myself as transgender. When I am at home I am just a guy in a dress (though with fake boobs) but when I go out I also try to act and speak like a woman - not just to fit in but because it is fun too. I would rather not be called a transvestite or tranny not because the term is offensive in itself but because is usually use disparagingly. What are SJWs?

Aspiring Member natalie edwards's Avatar
    Accepted not excepted. Accepted means included. Excepted means not included. Common mistake but English and grammer are my thing.
    Other than that, I agree. Unless we call ourselves transgender but most equate that with transsexuals.

1st, as soon as you said Oklahoma that pretty much made it obvious as to why it became "offensive". As I see it- crossdressing is merely a verb. Like golfing. Is anyone really a "golfer"? what determines a golfer from a person that goes out on a yearly corporate outing, or a once in a great while thing. People don't consider them to be "golfers" Unless you drive by a golf course and see everyone on the course and just think "golfers".

Crossdressing is what we do for feminine expression. If that is all we do, then crossdresser is a logical and realistic term, I guess. what about the halloween dress ups for those who truly are not within the TG spectrum, only do it once, don't take it at all serious. They WERE crossdressing. Are they forever crossdressers? They cross dressed, if for laughs only. Guys doing the high heel race for charity.... crossdressing, now forever crossdressers??

The term is not nor ever should be offensive, but say Oklahoma and it call sort of makes sense at that point. If someone identifies as TS, is beginning transition and are not at a point where they are out at work or to family yet, then male clothing would be crossdressing since they are identifying as women internally. We don't think of them as CDers, but they really are. They don't think of themselves as CDers either. Adamant about it often.

Right now I am wearing womens jeans. I am crossdressing. I am fine with being a crossdresser. My legs are shaved for no other reason then I want them to be. My nails are long and feminine shaped (alittle) because I want them to be. That is not crossdressing. that is expression. My girl jeans are expression. Maybe I am transgendering.....
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned