Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Crossdressing" is an offensive term...

I think that crossdressers are the coolest people in the world. Calling somebody a crossdresser is not offensive. It is paying them the highest form of complement.

So let's see what I'm wearing now: panties, bra, breastforms, pantyhose, ballet flats, wig, makeup, dress, and tons of jewelry. Gee, I must be one of the cool ones!

Quote Originally Posted by susan54 View Post
    What are SJWs?
    Social Justice Warriors. The term originally represented those who fight for causes within the realm of social justice. Around 2011, in the midst of Gamergate, internet trolls on Twitter usurped the term and turned it into a pejorative that spread to popular use by trolls on Reddit and 4chan.

The pejorative is typically used today in reference to those who take up very narrow causes that promote or validate their personal experience, or to boost their q-rating for whatever internet persona they're attempting to build/grow in popularity, disregarding the wider community that the fight aims to benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    I think the muggles have a problem with the 57 varieties of transgender, as in why do there have to be so many.

I usually describe myself as a crossdresser, or "just a crossdresser".

I've heard some people say that since I don't "think I'm a girl" that I'm not transgender, can never be a woman (unless I transition) and never belong in a women's room, no matter how I'm presenting. I find that offensive.

So my response is that I really consider myself bigender, but most people don't know what that is, so I simplify it by saying that I'm a crossdresser.

But the truth is, I'm not really sure what the difference is. Is there a checklist or a test that I can take that identifies one or more things that I do or don't do so I can self-identify as a either a crossdresser or bigender. IDK.
    Sounds like my bf. He identifies as a crossdresser. And while I think of that as falling under the TG umbrella, he does not consider himself TG, and seemed not necessarily offended but... he was quick to say he identifies as straight male, just likes to wear women's clothing, no interest in being a woman, etc. in abrupt terms when I asked about his gender identity.

Not getting into all that he's said or done since that conversation that's made those statements confusing, I can certainly see, just from that single interaction with him, that being labeled in any way other than one identifies can be upsetting.

The letter was fair to write, and the apology, though not the best start, was overall very considerate.
    "The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!” -- Jack Kerouac

Silver Member
    I love how some in the media says the kids were "traumatized". Over an inter-office email notifying people about the restroom situation, albeit a not particularly well worded email but just still just an inter-office email. If these kids find that traumatizing, wait until they are adults and out in the real world and find out what "trauma" really is. Or even better, they should talk to an American veteran who has seen combat and they will find out what "trauma" really is.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Vickie_CDTV;

I love your post. I agree with you , the term traumatized is thrown around to easily these days. If being called a crossdresser is traumatic or seeing a fully clothed adult walk in or out of a bathroom, then that person leads a sheltered life indeed. My job requires me to work with a variety of people and i'm always amazed at the way parents and young adults take offense at the slightest things.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi46 View Post
    I would rather be called a crossdresser than a Transvestite which I think is an even worse term to use.

From Transexual Translyvania?

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

You know what's traumatic?

Being held face first against a wall with a gun at the back of your head while a pair of crackheads debate about leaving you and your family as witnesses.
    Walking into a major crash scene site and finding body parts that were a few moments ago your beloved co-workers.
    Finding yourself 28,000 ft above the earth, alone, enveloped in a fireball.
    Maybe having a child die in your arms.....

If someone calls me a crossdresser, I'm buying that guy a drink.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

I've read that the term transvestite is still in use in parts of the world to describe those who dress in the clothes associated with the opposite gender, is this true?

I remember as a youngster that it had pejorative connotations, the cops on TV shows like Adam-12 and Dragnet sometimes would arrest them, they were of course deviants in all sorts of ways. But that was decades ago. I always thought it sounded suitably clinical and neutral, but it isn't surprising that people coined something new to replace it with.

For the last 50 years or so it's been fashionable to invent things to be offended about. One of the tenets of affirmative action (from the numerous training sessions I've been in) is that if the person you're talking to is offended, then YOU are being offensive. You are 100% at fault, regardless of your intent. If the person you are talking to decided that the word "the" is offensive, you could be cited for an affirmative action violation without having the slightest idea you did anything wrong. This idea entered common discourse and led to an endless chain of proscribed words. A term that is perfectly acceptable today can become proscribed tomorrow, and woe betide anyone who doesn't keep up. You could go from being the world's greatest humanitarian today, to being a despicable bigot tomorrow, without even knowing it happened.

A few years ago I decided I'd had enough. No more of this. Now I live by the following rules.

1. I bear no malice toward anyone.

2. I take no offense at what anyone says about me, even if offensiveness is intended.

3. I will make corrections to misstatements, but I will do it politely. "No, I'm not a blue-eyed *******. My eyes are brown and my parents were married."

4. I don't need to prove anything to anyone, especially by standing on my head to figure out what the current politically correct term is. I don't care what you find offensive and I don't care what you want to be called.

5. If my attitude offends you, too bad. I have a lot of friends, but if you don't want to be one of them, it's your loss, not mine.

And yes, I'm a crossdresser. I'm a travsvestite. I'm a "tranny". I'm transgendered. I'm a pre-op transsexual. No, I'm not a drag queen. I don't dress over the top and I don't perform in public.

All the best to you.

I find the term "crossdresser" offensive because it's only a one way term. It is used to describe a male wearing female clothing yet excludes a female wearing males clothing which is the very definition of the word.

Crossdresser
    A person who dresses in clothes normally only associated with the opposite gender. A man who dresses in womens clothes is a male to female (MtF) crossdresser, a woman who dresses as a man is a female to male (FtM) crossdresser.

According to this, there are an awful lot of crossdressers out there yet only one side of that spectrum is ever called out on it.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Best post so far from CynthiaD.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Joanne~ View Post

According to this, there are an awful lot of crossdressers out there yet only one side of that spectrum is ever called out on it.
    Except that drab girls are often criticised by their own sex and ignored by the other - typically as I see it.

Women in men's clothing is more accepted socially. They don't get called out because it's not considered as deviant a behavior.
    "The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!” -- Jack Kerouac

Banned Read only
    Also there has been a greater uptake of female warehouse people than male babysitters as an example. Dress is appropriated to activity and i'm pretty sure after a nights graft, girls can't be arsed to glam either. The worm has turned.

I wouldn't say that I find it offensive, but I'll correct someone who calls me a crossdresser.

I don't consider myself a person who's wearing women's clothes. I'm wearing my clothes. I have a female side and a female persona who owns and wears them.

I don't expect people to know that though. Our world is complex and also very new for most folks. Best is to just be polite and informative.

I feel we're too hung up on labels....period.

Frankly, I find the descriptor "crossdresser" to be rather archaic in terms of today's world, and it should probably be relegated to the dustbin of history, along with the more clinical, fetishism-invoking term "transvestite. Where I have a real problem, though, is when the words "transgender" and "transsexual" are used interchangeably, as is so often the case these days.

We here all know that within the broader context of the gender identity/sexual orientation spectrum, transsexual individuals tend to fall under the transgender umbrella, whereas not all transgender people are transsexuals who wish to modify their actual physical appearance in some fashion so as to have that become more in alignment with what their brain tells them they are. It's high time that John Q. Public also finally gets the message concerning that distinction so that everyone ends up on the same page here.

Now then, as for that misguided "warning" issued to the fragile denizens of the Oklahoma State Legislature, I look forward to a similar memo being sent in due course warning of the imminent visit by tattooed and pierced individuals sporting Day-Glo Mohawks and wearing Megadeth Tour T-shirts and ripped jeans, or else visiting members of right-wing survivalist groups in full camo gear and possibly even bearing arms.

Nah, didn't think so either. Why would that raise an eyebrow? It's the "crossdressers" that need to be singled out for special attention. We're the ones who represent the imminent arrival of the Apocalypse, right?
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 04-17-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Frankly, I find the descriptor "crossdresser" to be rather archaic
    Well, it works for me and many others it seems. Maybe we should get the name of this entire Forum changed?
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I don't have a problem with the term. I believe it accurately describes me.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".