Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had you never seen a woman...

Banned Read only

Had you never seen a woman...

Where would your motivation to dress/behave feminine come from? This is assuming you accept the binary gender model.

Banned Spammer
    You could argue that without the stigma of the human reproductive organs, there would be very little need for clothes at all, sparing those in extreme weather situations and then only for protection from the elements.

Accept the binary model? I'm out.

The theory I like best is that we each have a "gender core." This is the collection of responses that make us happy when we align to our gender. The things we focus on (clothing, postures, etc) are not actually gender. They're learned behaviors and social norms. However if you have a female gender core, then you're happier when you conform to those societal constructs and you'll be unhappier if you don't. It's not settled science yet, but I like the elegance and simplicity of the argument.
    Last edited by Pat; 04-25-2017 at 07:23 AM. Reason: fix a word
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I Think the time has come for you to go into the field and find the answers yourself!

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

I'm with Carrie. I explicitly reject the binary. My motivation comes from my heart.

Unless born blind, you would have to have seen your momma! I do not accept the binary as acceptable! This is a question like but not the same as George Carlins question of "How do you know the refrigerator light goes off when you shut the door?" If no feminine role model then anything is possible. You would wear whatever but would probably be like wearing stripes and plaids! LOL Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat (aka Jennie) View Post
    The theory I like best is that we each have a "gender core." This is the collection of responses that make us happy with we align to our gender. The things we focus on (clothing, postures, etc) are not actually gender. They're learned behaviors and social norms. However if you have a female gender core, then you're happier when you conform to those societal constructs and you'll be unhappier if you don't. It's not settled science yet, but I like the elegance and simplicity of the argument.
    Gender core eh? Not heard of that one before. But at least, other than the sexy bits, it would be a native cause and distinction of gender. All other evidence I see is external and contingent.

I'm gonna look into that, sounds interesting but I'm very dubious...

Binary?

Model yourself / come out if you are one of us
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-18-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: do not bypass the filter
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

"Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Banned Read only
    Lolz @ Stace.

I don't adopt personality labels unless they are accurate. Pretty much told most of my people now. No dramas. Not a very interesting story.
    Told my family whislt they were all locked in the car on the motorway haha. We discussed where we were eating about 5 minutes later and some piss was taken. Blah.

I'm still left wondering why I am. I wouldn't change it although if the draw was so intense it interfered with my life or I got upset over what pants to wear or wishing that my family would go out so I can behave differently I might find it useful to have some technique of self control.

If I had never seen a woman I still would have known that I wasn't supposed to be a man.

Banned Read only
    rachael.davis
    That is a beautiful truth.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-18-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: you don't need to quote post above yours

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Interesting question. I wish I had an a good answer. I dress to feel good, when I'm dressed I feel pretty, sexy, attractive and confident. People seem to love Gerri and I receive so many compliments and am told how cool, brave and awesome I am for just being myself. It is a big ego boost. But when I'm in Gerard mode I don't get that, I feel old, fat and ugly. Crossdressing just makes me feel better about myself. I'm still me but a more popular alter ego I guess. Like Jim Carrey in The Mask, I become someone else. If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by rachael.davis View Post
    If I had never seen a woman I still would have known that I wasn't supposed to be a man.
    ^this. I agree; there's this 'always in the background' feeling that something's just not quite 'right'. It was only through time and observation that I figured out that it was just that I was wearing the wrong clothes and that by changing only that, it went a long way to ease my discomfort. It wasn't until much later that I understood the concept of what I felt that I was, didn't match what I actually was in reality.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Uh yeah Seen quite a few. LOL how do you think we know how to be like one.
    Part Time Girl

Platinum Member
    I try to limit speculations to hypotheses that are at least remotely conceivable. Closest you might come would be a blind person raised from birth in a men's prison camp.

I doubt that even in such an environment a person would necessarily mirror only the behaviors exhibited by males.

Aspiring Member
    Your binary gender precept is highly subjective. In Native American culture 4 or 5 genders were recognized, (masculine males, feminine males, masculine females, and feminine females, and the fifth being transgenders). Feminine males were valuable members of the tribe, and were honored for having "two-spirits". The two spirit persons often crossdressed and adopted feminine roles. They were considered more spiritual, more sensitive, more artistic, more compassionate, and were often given the role of the medical provider, the person who cared for the sick and disabled. Twos spirit persons also served as arbitrators, and one two-spirit person (We-wha) from the Zuni tribe served as their ambassador to Washington D.C. https://indiancountrymedianetwork.co...-five-genders/

Assuming a binary gender there are still reasons to dress feminine, and that is because of epigenetics. The default gender expression is feminine and if some gene expressions are surpressed causing androgen insensitivity then we should expect to find thing increased feminine expression.

Banned Read only
    I fully get the not right feeling. Not wanting to be or not believing yourself a "man" is different to wanting to be or believing yourself a woman.

I know you could find womens clothes nice to touch and wear due to materials etc.
    But behaviours? "Gender" Mimicry is an often used tool in nature so that in itself is not particularly bizarre. But again it comes back to motivation which is interesting.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Confucious: Binary gender is definitely not my idea lol.

Kim: where is the control in that experiment lol? I would expect them to exhibit a variety of atypical behaviours of prisoners. As they are blind, i would struggle to believe they are stimulated to react in anyway to the presence of a female at all. You'd probably see lots of men "feminised" in that environment, but I'd expect to see very similar divisions of behaviours and social heirarchies flourish in a prison full of blind women. So even being exposed to behaviours etc. I still wouldn't necassarily expect a complete will to the other.

Banned Read only
    Sandin,
    If you're born with a female trait it's irrelevant if you've seen a woman or not, you're partly wired like it. The motivation came from a part of the brain I knew nothing about at the age of 8-9, why I needed to wear the clothes and what was driving me was a mystery, then it all happened and locked in my brain, the connection with girls, their clothes, my male side all intertwined with my sexual needs. I have lived with the conflict eversince.
    I actually don't feel I act feminine , to me it's not an act I'm still me but dressed as I prefer to be . No one at my social group acts any differently , they don't camp it up or change their voice . I really don't thing about the labels when I'm out, I just feel comfortable and right ,I find the less you think about it the more people relate to you .

I can't help agreeing with Stacy, you need to get out and find these answers for yourself, many of these questions are academic and detached from the real World. I feel you need to start to decide exactly what your CDing means to you and decide what road you are going to take, the forum will be here to help and guide you , your questions will then relate to how you want your life to pan out .
    Last edited by Teresa; 04-18-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandin Meknickers View Post
    Where would your motivation to dress/behave feminine come from? This is assuming you accept the binary gender model.
    This is analogous to one of those metaphysical "If a tree falls in the forest but no one is around to hear it fall, does it still make a sound?" questions.

I dunno...then again, if I had been born without arms or hands, would I still consider myself to be either left-handed or right-handed?

Banned Spammer
    Leslie Langford.
    The correct answer

We don't know because that hasn't happened.

Dressing feminine are behaving feminine are not quite the same thing. Related? Sure.

I'm not going to go into all the reasons I could as to why, other than one is appearance and one is behavior. Eddie Izzard dresses in female clothing, but I don't recall ever seeing him in a context where I would consider him acting feminine. Ru Paul dressed AS a female, but I doubt he ever considered himself actually female. Look at him now. Behaving feminine can happen without the presentation aspect as well.

As far as what feminine behavior is, that varies depending on what culture you live in

Any measurement you would like to make for anything has a scale, and that scale is dependent on what you are comparing it to. If there is no scale, measurements mean nothing.

I only consider myself to be 'feminine', because that is the scale I'm forced to use to describe it. Without that scale, I'm just me.

<3

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Banned Read only
    OK so a physiological change from nothing observable without instrumentation. Other than proximity. And we know how that effects behaviour...

Platinum Member
    Sandi, you're right...very hard to come up with a control. Maybe an better approach would be to raise a generation of test tube babies each in solitary confinement with the options for feeding, nurturing and educating. Begins to sound like the Matrix!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Isn't this a bit like asking if we believe in angels if we've never seen them?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!