Thread: You're never too old.

You're never too old.

Hi everyone,

Long-time (35+ years) CDer here. Sorry, I haven't posted in a long while. I feel guilty for lurking and reading forum postings, but not contributing as much as I would like. Being in the midst of a slow-motion move back to NYC, while putting in a lot of hours re-igniting a previous career there, have been tiring. On top of that, being a new empty nester takes some getting used to. But all of these events have triggered and opened up a lot of (positive) change in my life. Over time, I would to share and post about experiences that I hope can help others here in some way.

Synopsis -- having gotten tired of suppressing (all sides of) who I am, and feeling bad about keeping secrets from my wife of almost 25 years, I took the plunge and came out to her once and for all, last year. Had our ups and downs, a lot of educating (myself included), reassurances, communication, overcoming the pink fog (several times), coming to an understanding an accepting that works for both of us. I never though it possible, but we're actually a stronger couple and team more than ever before, after my pillow talk reveal. She admitted that she kind of suspected now and then that something was up, but never went anywhere with it.

(No matter how careful you think you are in hiding or putting things back, there's always some little detail that you will miss. GG's/SO's must have some kind of ESP superpower that apparently lets them detect even the slightest changes in physical placement of clothes and personal effects in the bedroom. And don't borrow your SO's clothes, especially if you are not the same size. Or their jewelry and makeup without permission.)

In time, I finally got to have my own closet and drawer space. With her eventual blessing and support, I moved on to going out fully dressed in public -- Amsterdam, San Francisco, New York. The big, yet mundane conclusion: if you’re not hurting anyone or calling attention to yourself, most people are too busy or absorbed in their own world to care.

And now, a great day today while upstate (NY) for the week. Inspired by some recent successes and the weather -- sunny and clear -- I got dressed, went outside, ran some errands and while coming home, decided to come out to another next door neighbor who had pulled into the parallel driveway shortly after I arrived. (Who himself had a quite a journey, came out as gay after decades of marriage). My CD/trans journey is different, but it was great to have discussed common challenges, impact on relationships, and feel accepted and supported when I'm up here.

This follows my last visit when I gathered up the courage and visited my other neighbor to introduce my femme self. Granted she’s an ultra-liberal college professor whom we’ve known for years and are like family, but you never know how people react. Strangers in a city are one thing, but it seems different with those close to us. I guess it's because for me, there was the possibility of personal rejection and loss of close friendship. After her initial shock and surprise wore off, an embrace, support and acceptance which I really appreciated. And got a laugh when she asked me -of all people - for makeup tips. But the biggest gift of all, no more secrets and sneaking around. I may not even want or need to go out dressed by my house here, but knowing that I could do so without fear or shame if I wanted to, is enormous. I realize the biggest barrier was my own fear and insecurity. Next is her husband and my other next door neighbor.

And in another first...when I told my awesome wife about today's event, she said I could come to her workplace as Amanda if I wanted, to pick her up at the end of her shift. Not a small thing for a small upstate city/town! If someone had told me even 18 months ago that this would happen, I would have rolled my eyes and laughed them off. Yet here I am. Quite a journey. I know others may not have reached this milestone, but for those who are feeling down, discouraged, or in a DADT seventh circle of hell, please don't give up. Be true to yourself however you can. I know I am lucky in so many ways, yet it took a lot of self-reflection and work to get there. And confidence. When I started believing it was ok, it became ok. And gave me the strength to not care about the inevitable snickers or double-takes from others.

Sorry for the ramble…though it's a work in progress that has yet to fully unfold, after all these years of hiding and self-doubt, it’s something I just wanted to share with others.

Have a great evening and week!

Now if I could only find some decent, appropriate eyeglass frames! (pics attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Member
    Thank you for coming back and sharing your story....its amazing! Reflecting on your experience....that sounds like freedom!

What an awesome story! Thank you so much for coming back to share it with us!

So happy for you, thank you for sharing.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Happy for you. At 47 you're really not that old at all. It's so nice to hear that you are starting early to line things up correctly for the golden years.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Aspiring Member
    Amanda,
    Congrats on all of the progress, such a great post!!!
    Welcome back!!!

M...

What a fabulous and positive post! I'm so happy for you!

Last week, I decided I was tired of sneaking around my house and come out to the only neighbor I see on a very regular basis. She is one of my wife's closest friends and I am afraid that I would alienate them. My wife and I discussed it and can't come to a conclusion. So, I thought a heart-to-heart with the neighbor is the way to go. I decided to do it last night and....chickened out! Maybe next time the three of us are together. I would love to have our frequent dinners together as Joyce and not have to worry that she may see my painted toenails!

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing, very positive story.
    Life is about growth, never stop being curious.

Glad things are going so well

Very nice post Amanda, Thanks for sharing and you are right, when out most people don't even pay attention.
    Part Time Girl

Amanda, thanks for sharing! Sounds like you are on the right track! Nice eyeglasses but the frame could be smaller! Happy for your successes! Best wishes going forward! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I just turned 75 Sunday and I realize I will never stop dressing.Maybe not as much as in the past, but it is a part of who I am. Have wife's blessing and will still go out when time permits. Have the whole month of May to dress and go out all I want as wife and most of family will be out of the country. Just gives me a bit more time to express myself. In the mid part of Jine I will go on a road trip to the midwest ands will bring items to dress, although most likely only in my hotel rooms as I will know no one on the road and not know where to go safely.

Amanda, what a great story. I am moving soon and have decided that I will just walk out the door as I please.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Read only
    Amanda,
    So good to hear your story and so good it's going well. I have to agree with you once you start to believe in yourself it can happen ,never say never is a good CDing motto.

While I was choosing my femme glasses the young male SA came out to me about a CDing experience he'd had so we chatted and I gave him some contact numbers and showed him some of my pictures, he was so grateful.

@alwayhave: sometimes it’s like the Nike Ad – Just Do It

@AliceB: good for you. Having started my first venturing out from hotels, I would suggest speaking with the concierge (if it’s a higher end place) or senior desk staff. I have always found hotel staff (who want your $$) to be professional and helpful when I inquired about showing up or leaving dressed. And if they would recommend local places I might be interested in.

@Lana Mae: Thanks Lana Mae, and I agree about the glasses. It’s my preferred shape in guy mode, but doesn't work for me en femme. I was thinking of something unisex from Warby Parker

@Dana 44: Thanks Dana. It really is true. Most people are too engrossed in their phones are barely look up.

@bridget thronton: Thanks Bridget

@jennifer0918: Hi Jennifer, it took quite a while to get where I am. But it’s a good place.

@Joyce P.: I’m sorry that you weren’t able to come out yet as you might have wanted. Take heart. If you really have good relations as friends, it should be ok. I came out to two more neighbors today. Both very nice and supportive, both said that as long as I were happy, seeing me dressed as a woman was all the same to them.

@MarisaRose: thanks, and love your name!

@CarlaWestin thanks Carla, though I have to think about the golden years, lol. I feel like I’m just getting started!

@Kellitgdet: Thanks Kelli!

@Salina: Thanks Salina. There’s so many good words of support on this forum overall, I hope my 2 cents is helpful too.

@kimdl93: Hi Kim, it is rather amazing, and freeing at the same time. And surprisingly mundane the more I go out. For example, I went to the local mall to walk around dressed, walked into TJ Maxx, thought I would check out Spring clothes, but got sidetracked in their gourmet food section. At some point, forget I was even dressed, I was just a person compared varieties of salt. I have no doubt that somewhere nearby, somebody may have been giving me sideways glances. But no big deal. Decided against the salt, and went about my way to the rest of the mall. I guess that’s a version of freedom I never expected.

@ Teresa: Thanks for the good words. I like your story about the SA. Yet more proof that there are more of us than most care to admit. It's those opportunities to be human with each other that have given me further encouragement to be out and about. I don't mind taking a few slings and arrows from disapproving strangers, if it means that I could also help someone else who needs a confidence boost to be who they really are. Or at least feel that they are not alone.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Alice B View Post
    I just turned 75 Sunday and I realize I will never stop dressing.Maybe not as much as in the past, but it is a part of who I am. Have wife's blessing and will still go out when time permits. Have the whole month of May to dress and go out all I want as wife and most of family will be out of the country. Just gives me a bit more time to express myself. In the mid part of Jine I will go on a road trip to the midwest ands will bring items to dress, although most likely only in my hotel rooms as I will know no one on the road and not know where to go safely.
    One addendum to my big reply to all...our needs or priorities (and bodies) may change, but age really is just a number. I believe it wholeheartedly.

47... Old? Get off my lawn!

Wonderful story, Amanda. Great look too, BTW.

Hugs

Kelly Marie
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 04-19-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story

But, old at 47? Nope, I knew I was a little different by the time I reached middle school, but I didn't even get my second wind (or pink resurgence) until well after 47.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.