Thread: Another amazing day; coming out to neighbors, Part II

Another amazing day; coming out to neighbors, Part II

Hi all,
    Yesterday I posted (under "You're Never Too Old") about coming out to some of my neighbors. It took a long time to get there, but I had finally decided that I had enough hiding or sneaking around, that I was comfortable as I'll ever be in my own skin, and that it was time to just come out and show them who I am. Or at least the part they didn't know about.

Yesterday went well. Today, I added two more. Both women - one, a single newly retired woman next door, the other, a young mother and wife whom together with here husband and daughter we socialize with - were very nice and supportive. After the initial surprise, both said that if that is what made me happy, seeing me dressed as a woman was all the same to them. No drama, no sirens, no long, drawn-out discussion. Just simple acceptance, which I felt was sincere and not just humoring me. I didn't expect any invitations to paint our toenails together, but the freedom to simply be me. I treasure this more than any gold.

Not everyone may have the same experience, your mileage may vary, but all this time, I was afraid of rejection, of ridicule, of discomfort and awkwardness. But a lot of it turned out to be in my head. I realize I have the luxury of great, very chill neighbors, but I simply told them about my journey as it were, and that yes, sometimes I like to go out wearing a dress, wig and makeup and present as a woman. And then we talked about paving driveways for the Spring, whether my sons were coming to visit during the summer, and how my work was going in the city.

My conclusion is that if you really have good relations not just as neighbors, but even as friends, it should be ok. Confidence, faith, and trust were key.

Platinum Member
    Glad its worked out so far. In this day and age, we probably aren't as close to our neighbors as in the past. I can barely remember the names of mine, particularly in recent years. But then, maybe that's me.

I like the idea of clearing the air so you can live your life as you choose.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    When your male neighbors find out? From MY experience, maybe it won't be such a love fest. But, I hope I'm wrong, Amanda.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

@docrobbysherry: Good point, though so far so good. Our good relations go back many years so I'm hopeful. I'll report back with reactions, either way.

Silver Member
    I've been out to neighbors and friends for years. Haven't lost any over what I wear. Even the guys have been accepting over the years. I've also lived in a lot of different places from small middle American towns to big east/west coastal cities.

A couple of my neighbors know no problems yet.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Spammer
    Be careful like you said. My neighbour saw me and I talked to them but they because of dam religion and their almighty I am godly crap. Don't talk to us as much which is fine with me. They can take their almighty garbage religion and screw off. people are not who they are and things take over when it comes to rational thinking. Just beware those almighty religious people who think they are above all. Wish they would live by the book. Do not judge yest ye be judge. They are hyprocrites. Glad you came out and all is well so far. Beside it is easy to build a wall!!! Then they won't bother us.

Those who pass judgement better take a good look at themselves in the mirror.

@Step65 Sorry to hear about your neighbor and their lack of acceptance or understanding. I guess I am lucky to have a house (and coming out to neighbors) in a college town, and also be living/working in NYC -- where I'm originally from - where most people are too busy to give a blending M2F crossdresser more than a passing glance, if at all. But regardless of location, I encourage all to do they best they can in living as who they are and want to be. If you are not hurting anyone, then why the issue? I have come to ignore the haters (as long as they don't pose a potential safety threat to me or those who I'm with).