Thread: Name change document - photocopy or certified copy?

Name change document - photocopy or certified copy?

First, my disclaimer -- I did search to see if I could find this anywhere. I did not find it. I'm not saying it's not there.

I'm starting the process to change my name on everything. Pretty much everything wants a copy of the court order for name change (e.g. Social Security, driver's license, etc.) It's not clear to me if they need a certified copy or if a photocopy will do. If I need a bazillion certified copies, then I want to ask the court for them up front. I'm sure lots of people in this forum have direct experience in this matter and I'd appreciate hearing from them.

I understand that many things require me to have the Social Security changed first (banks, passport, etc.) I'm just trying to save a step (and maybe some costs) if all these folks need certified copies.

Thanks
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I'm not sure about your neck of the woods, but over here it seems almost to depend on who is being asked.

I went ahead and got several originals, but then I asked each organisation to send them back.

Some were happy with photocopies and only 1 or 2 asked for certified copies even though I offered to let them see an original.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

When I went thru my name change I did the Social Security, and Driver License change in person and all I had to do was to show them the court order and they made copies if they needed them. All of my credit cards I had changed by faxing a copy of the court order to each of the companies, if I had done it thru the mail they all would have accepted a photocopy of the court order. For an updated Birth Certificate again it was done in person and they made any needed copy. From what I've experienced anybody that needs a certified copy will return it to you and if they need a copy they make it themselves. I can't promise you that all the companies you need to deal with will accept copies but in my case almost everyone was happy with a copy.

Hope this helps.

I just reread your post and my bank changed my name before my Social Security was changed, they just accepted the court order and made the change. I don't know if this is bank or state dependent on which changes first however I know some states won't change your license until after you change your Social Security, but that depends on the state.
    Last edited by Paula DAngelo; 04-21-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Additional information added

When I did it last year, the only things for which I needed to mail a certified copy were my passport, naturalization certificate, and PNC bank credit card (yes, really!)... I was pretty annoyed about that last one, so I just closed that account instead. All of the other financial institutions, universities, government agencies, and healthcare companies were ok with photocopies, faxes, or even an online upload of the scanned document.

I did present my original court order or a certified copy at the social security office, driver's license facility, and numerous other places for which I had to request the name change in-person, but they never had to hold on to my original or certified documents. They either looked at it and gave it back to me, or made a photocopy of it for themselves.

The vast majority of organizations are fine with a photocopy. You'll probably only need 3-5 extra certified copies in addition to the original court order.

I am in the process now of changing my name and gender.

At Social Security and DMV(California) they just needed to see a certified copy and they then made a copy for their records. With my bank(Wells Fargo), they also only needed to make a copy. These I have all done in person.