Thread: Checking In

Checking In

Been busy lately…..

A few weeks back, the North Coast Men’s Chorus had their Spring Concert and I was there as usual, selling raffle tickets and making new friends and renewing existing friendships. I was feeling particularly playful on Sunday, wearing a beautiful Calvin Klein dress that felt like it was tailored for me. Near the end of my shift, a young lady rather shyly came up to me and said she just wanted to tell me that she loved my dress! Well, there is really nothing better than that for me, I was really quite taken back and realized in the moment how blessed I am to be able to do what I do.

What has become a favorite pastime of mine is dress “shopping”. I use the term loosely, as I have no intention to buy anything (I am the thrift store queen!). I simply love the experience of walking into a fitting room with a handful of dresses and do what most women do, try them all on. I strut up and down the fitting room aisle, checking out every angle in the 3 way mirror and just soak in the joy of that experience. I’ve done that recently in about 6 different stores, always leaving with a giant smile on my face.

This has already been posted about, but I had the pleasure of dinner with Michelle DDG of this here forum. A thoroughly enjoyable evening.

The Warren GNO, which is often posted about here, had a Wednesday Spring Fling. It was great fun for me to wear a pretty spring floral dress and grab some dinner with a friend at a favorite restaurant beforehand.

A few Sundays back I had what can only be described as the perfect day for me. I started the day crushing a half marathon, finishing a very surprising second in my advanced age group. This was my third half and I have run each one principally in the same time, 1:45. I guess I’m consistent if nothing else. Feeling great and enjoying a 70 degree, sunny day with zero humidity, I put on a little floral dress I like and went out to lunch with some members of my church for lunch and then headed to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for some picture takin’. I was certainly not the only one doing that and it was nice having other people take my picture and then reciprocating for them. That always makes me happy.

Last night might have been the best thing I have ever done dressed! I have a friend who is a violinist for the Cleveland Pops Orchestra and they perform in historic Severance Hall, home of the world famous Cleveland Orchestra. Put on my red dress and felt so special, as many of the patrons were dressed up. I was able to get some pictures with my friend during intermission and it’s really so nice to have a friend that just “gets” me like that. Then I sat next to this doll, a bubbly and beautiful woman who is a local actress and we talked for quite some time. She is performing a one woman show in August and guess who is planning on going? Now, what to wear?

Finally today I attended a Transgender Job Fair at a local hospital. I am not in the job market, but it was just really nice to go and meet so many kind people. The keynote speaker was Christine Howey and she was fantastic! I urge you to Google “Christine Howey Exact Change”. She wrote a one woman play about her transition and it has been made into a movie, coming out this spring. The trailer is on YouTube and the movie looks terrific. She is having the premier here in June and I am planning on attending.

If you have any interest in my shenanigans, pictures are posted on my Flickr page, listed in my signature below.

See you soon.........
    Last edited by Kandi Robbins; 04-22-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Everything you shared sounds like great fun, but what impresses me the most is your 1/2 marathon time! 1:45 is fast and second in your age group is awesome!

Hi Kandi,

It's great to hear from you! . I'm pleased you're doing well and keeping yourself busy out & about. You present and interact with others very well in public, and it's wonderful that you are getting the acceptance that is deserved.

Awesome job with the 1⁄2 marathon! . So that's why you look so great in every dress . Mr. Calvin may well make great clothing, but even he doesn't launch them on just anybody... I'm glad others loved it on you .

It sounds as though you're having so much fun. May that continue! All the best in the Olympics .

I just re-started my cardio...walk/jogging for now. Two years ago I torn my meniscus in my knee to shreds...while running. Rehabbed it thus far but added 35 Lbs in the time off...
    So the long journey begins again.. Sadly no marathons in my future. Hey! just that I can walk/jog now is a great start right? the extra weights a bitch however. Able to go 1 to 2 miles for now anyway...

Kandi, it's really good to hear from you again and to read about your latest adventures. Plus see the pics of course! Wow, there's some gorgeous dresses that you tried on. If I did that, I'd end up buying most of them!
    A girl can never have too many dresses

Kandi, it is about time we heard from you! I thought you were missing and was about to send out the bloodhounds! LOL Thanks for sharing! You are looking great in all your outfits and like Sarah I would have bought most of them! I love that you are out and about in the community! Best wishes Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Kandi love the acceptance you have of yourself and how it fits into your life and daily activities.
    As always thanks for sharing your days with us
    Hugs Rachel Leigh

Love your stories; and this one in particular. Thanks Kandi.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

No offense, but as someone who works in retail, I HATE people who try things on with no intention of buying. Every time a person tries something on, there is a chance to cause wear and tear to the merchandise, and in most stores, a sales person has to take time to put the merch away. If someone is undecided or just browsing, that's one thing and part of the process. But guests who KNOW they are not going to buy anything but still want to try things on "just for fun" are an annoyance. We're here to run a business and make money, not so you can play dress-up.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    I have to 1000% agree with Micki. Cleaning up after customers takes us away from doing productive work, and quite frankly, makes us resentful. Especially if the store closes at 9, and you come in at 8:55 thinking you're going to try on clothes.

She doesn't dress every day of the week, but when she does, she gets things done. Stay active my friend!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    No offense, but as someone who works in retail, I HATE people who try things on with no intention of buying. We're here to run a business and make money, not so you can play dress-up.
    I never leave the merchandise for those that work there to put them away, I always return everything where I found it. I fully respect your opinion and now understand why brick and mortar business are all disappearing. I can also deposit checks by using my phone, but go to the bank every week so they have to keep employing tellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Allison Chaynes View Post
    I have to 1000% agree with Micki. Cleaning up after customers takes us away from doing productive work, and quite frankly, makes us resentful. Especially if the store closes at 9, and you come in at 8:55 thinking you're going to try on clothes.
    I'm not sure where you got the idea I am disrespectful of the wonderful people that work in the stores. People in stores = jobs!

Ladies, this is exactly why I have increasingly lost interest in this forum. I post only for the purpose of showing those that wish to go out that it is possible. Going forward, I'll keep quiet and slowly fade away!
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    It is unfortunate those who work in retail resent folks who try on things they may or may not buy, how the heck will you ever know if it looks good or just doesn't work.
    Maybe someday they can invent a robot to put all the clothes back on the rack so no one has to bother with putting them away.
    Oh and yes I did work in retail back in the day and I never felt it was inconvenient to put things back, it was part of my job
    duh.
    I feel ya Kandi

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Sorry, Kandi. I reread, and I think I missed your original point completely. I didn't mean to sound negative, I was not having a good week last week, and read your post while at work. I have spent a lot of wasted time cleaning up after shoplifters and people who destroy fitting rooms who have no respect for others. My comment was not well communicated, as it was meant towards people in general, not you personally. My apologies, as my tone was not as I had intended. What I should have said was, feel free to try things on, but please put them back when done unless that store has a policy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allison Chaynes View Post
    Sorry, Kandi. I reread, and I think I missed your original point completely.
    Apology completely accepted! I will say, I was deeply offended by the other post, in which I was told she hated me, all in caps. I'm a big girl, not really thin skinned like that, but the comment was totally uncalled for. We are here to support each other, not deride others. There is far too much of that going on in the world today! She doesn't even know me. And also, what I neglected to say is that, while I do shop with no intention to buy, I often do make purchases principally because of a wonderful experience I have with an SA and/or in the fitting room. That happened to me very recently. I am much more conscious of what you ladies do for a living than most. I always deeply appreciate being treated well when dressed and my wife works in retail as well.