Thread: The next step in my evolution

The next step in my evolution

So the next two big to-do items on my evolution list are buying a wig and entering into the world of makeup. So far I haven't done anything above the neck.

I've shared my wig shopping experience, emailed the store and told them who I was, went into the store in male mode, was treated like any other customer while other female customers came and went, and nothing unusual happened. No angry mob with torches and pitchforks showed up wanting to burn me at the stake.

Last week I started looking for a "makeup artist" to teach me about makeup. Reached out to three explaining who I was (a crossdresser) and what I wanted. All three responded positively. I selected one and we set up a session for Saturday at 2 PM. In her response to my taking this next step she said "How exciting for you!!"

The "artist" I selected was a women who has a "studio" in the basement of her house that seats about 10 people. She has 15 artists who work out of the studio. They specialize in weddings (do a couple of hundred a year), but also provide makeovers, makeup instruction, and hair styling.

So I arrive and as we are walking down the stairs I find myself awash in a sea of women, all getting prettied up in one way or another. Saturday is the busiest day of the week. There were about 8 female clients and plus the artists, so there are probably close to 18 women there. I'm the only male in the place and I'm in drab mode. I'm led to a makeup station in the center of the room. Two girls start to work on me (the owner and another artist). We talk about some of the difference in male and female faces and the effect I'm going for (no not drag queen, I want to blend). The owner shapes my eyebrows. Then the second artist did my makeup. She did half my face and I did the other half so I could learn how to do it. They kept a running list of makeup items they used and recommend I purchase so I can do my own makeup at home.

As this is happening, everyone else is minding their own business. Female customers are coming and going. No one seems to really care that I'm there. I'm treated like any of the other clients. I'm just one of the girls and that's how they talked to me.

After two hours (it's now 4 PM) and we are done. At this point all of the other customers are gone except one who is getting her hair styled. This leaves me with 4 or 5 of the artists. I'm sitting and absorbing the new me in the mirror. Everyone is relaxed with the day done and we are chatting about what it's like to be a crossdresser. No one is critical or judgemental. They genuinely seemed interested in who we are and the challenges we face. Questions like "how long have you been crossdressing", "when did you start", "are you gay", "how often do you dress up", etc. I'm also offering other insights as to what we do and our issues (i.e. reactions of our SOs, our potentially evolutionary path from being in the closet to mingling with the muggles, the tender young ages most of us start this journey on, etc.). We talk about being feminine and girly. The girl who did my makeup confesses she has a fascination with the whole trans scene which is why they picked her to work on me. So for the next half hour we continue to chat and they are looking over my wig pictures and offering their picks. They called over their hair stylist artist and she makes her three favorite wig picks and explains why.

Half an hour later and it's 4:30. They clean me up and we talk about the next session. I'm going to buy my first wig and then book another session with them. They'll continue teaching me more about makeup and then their hair stylist will work on my wig to tie the whole package together. In the meantime I'm supposed to practice with the makeup so they can critique my work the next time we meet.

It was a surreal experience. My brain is still processing what happened. I'm still kind of pinching myself to make sure it wasn't some kind of dream. A term our British members might use to describe where I'm at is "godsmacked."

Hi...I loved your story! What a great experience. Like you, I was a neck-down dresser until I screwed up the courage to do something about it. I also hired a makeup artist and it was a wonderful experience.

Once you see yourself fully dolled up, with the makeup, wig, nails, jewelry, etc., it my change you. In my case I no longer want to dress until I can achieve the complete look. And I don't have that many opportunities to spend 3-4 hours getting ready, so the end result is that I am dressing way less. I wonder if you will feel the same way.

I'm very happy you had a nice time and look forward to seeing the real you at some point! Congrats!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Sounds like a fun time so glad you enjoyed it

Sweetdreams,
    What a wonderful day you had. It's an amazing feeling, seeing that girl for the first time. Is it not? Just wait until you have the whole package together, clothes, hair and makeup. You're going to love it.

Hugs,

Kelly Marie

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Yes. 'gobsmacked' a perfect term. Sounds like you had an entirely positive experience, the first of many one hopes. How I wish when I started crossdressing alll those years ago that the resources were there then that we have now, like the internet and forums such as this one. But.... we need pictures!!
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Great story Sweetdreams, thanks for sharing, loom forward to hearing about your next step. Onwards and upwards girl!!
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Good for you! A very positive experience! I am so happy for you! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I have been thinking about getting a make-up session with a professional myself now for quite awhile..while I already use make-up and have pretty much all I need to go full enfemme, I still think that a professional session will give me that "added" level of confidence to go out and meet the world..thanks for sharing your experience.

What a wonderful adventure!!!!! I hope you can do it again soon!!!!!
    Please call me Lisa!

Platinum Member
    Wonderful experience. Its really enlightening to sit in a salon full women and realize that its OK to be there.