Thread: Marathon Running

Marathon Running

Can anyone tell me about their experience as a marathon runner and how their transition impacted their training and sports performance routine? Specifically, what were the impacts of HRT [in my case, proposed Transdermal estradiol and Spironolactone . I'm really wondering about the use of Spironolactone and heat tolerance. Also, were there any additional performance changes noted after GRS?
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 04-24-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    Lori

Aspiring Member
    Sorry, I'm not a marathon runner so I don't know if this helps, but I am involved in another demanding sports activity. I'm only on low-dose Sprio and Estradiol (oral) at the moment but I haven't noticed any ill effects so far with my performance levels. My sprints and distance paces are still consistent with what they were pre-HRT. Obviously I continue to focus on training and conditioning to ensure that. It's only just starting to warm up around here so I don't know yet about heat tolerance but I haven't noticed anything in particular related to reaction to ambient temperatures.

I've never been a long-distance runner, but I've been running for many years. I only run 30 min a day, but I do it 6 days a week. Sometimes if I'm feeling really good I'll run for as long as 90 min - but no more than that.

Anyway, I've been on HRT for a little over a year now, and I can say with certainty that my pace is slower than it used to be. I can still run for just as many minutes as I used to, and I still feel great, I just can't maintain the same speed that I used to run at pre-transition. I've never been a competitive runner though, so I don't really mind.

Hey Lori...

I hope all is well

Although I don't compete, I do run quite a bit... Weekly mileage varies by what else is going on in life but at many points over the last few years I have been running 40 to 70 miles a week with a good helping of steep grade hills thrown in.... My speed is about 9.5 minute miles and my average before transition was about 8.5.... Not sure how much is the HRT and how much is the fact that I am an old lady of 55 but there has been a slow down...non issue to me since I am running for pleasure not competition.

I had opted early for injection instead of patches thinking the running might cause a lot of adhesion / uneven dosing issues ... Sadly, I can't speak to the Spironolactone heat tolerance question because I was horribly allergic to Spironolactone and had to use Finesteride as my blocker before GRS.

Onward we go runner girl!!!

Ashley
    Have you seen the little pieces of the people we have been?... Little pieces blowing gently on the wind... 11:11

Lori: I began on the same hormonal protocol as you. Initially I experienced only negligible changes in performance. I actually think I wanted a sudden detriment in performance to verify my feminization, but in all honesty the change was gradual and minimal. But it adds up. After a couple of years it became quite noticeable, especially following grs.

My pre-mone best was sub 3 hours. I did a marathon two years to the day after grs as a celebration and I ran a 4:32 So, yes, there was a significant impact from transitioning. However, Marie honestly felt happier running that four and a half hour marathon than her penis-laden predecessor felt running nearly a couple of hours faster.

To answer your other question, I never felt severely impacted by heat more as a female than as a male. I attribute the poorer performance to less blood volume, a decrease in O2 carrying capacity, and a general decline in overall strength. Just the same, that's fine by me. I continue to run for conditioning but have no plans to do anymore marathons.
    Marie

Lori,
    Hi great question. This years. Boston Marathon was first that I missed in last 3 years. In 2015 I ran in the male division. I was hurt and ran 4 hours flat I believe. I had qualified with a 3:17 at 49 years old. My wife put my first transdermal patches on immediately after the race. I also took Spiro. So in 2016 I ran in the female division at Boston. I thought I would run a 3:50. It was very hot that morning for Boston. I believe the Spiro did cause me to have problems with the heat and I ran a 4:01.
    One month later I had SRS and BA on May 13th. I have had some complications and I ballooned up in weight. I am just in last month able to really start running. I am up to 7 miles and have scheduled first half marathon in August. I plan on running Cal Intl Marathin in December with 3:55 goal.

No doubt that the hormones have affected me. I will never run a 3:17 again and I am ok with that. I just can't process oxygen like I could before. I think getting down to 155 pounds would make my time drastically improve. I ran Boston at 168 but after SRS got up to 196. Now I am down to 186 or so. So moral of story is watch your weight and really hydrate while on Spiro. See you in Boston in 2019?

Suzanne
    Life Is One Big Dilation

I'm not on hormones but I'm interested in hearing more stories about this. As an avid runner and triathlete I've wondered how hrt might affect my performance. I did find a blog of a girl that is trans and writes about her issues with running. She was also featured on the cover of women's running a year ago.

Entirelyamelia I think is the name of her blog.