Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target self checkout line; godsend? Or the devil?

Junior Member Samantha Sometimes's Avatar

Target self checkout line; godsend? Or the devil?

So the self checkout line has made my life so much easier as I can buy heels makeup etc. With little to no embarrassment or odd looks. I love it so much! The problem is the pink fog has a hold of this girl in a big big way. I've probably spent more on women's clothes this year then on my student loan payments!! Oh well Guess I better browse the skirts and forget my troubles for a while...

Dang! I have not tried that -- this could start the economic recovery!!!

Banned Spammer
    Haha wouldn't work in the UK as everything has about five security tags and then the things declares to the world 'HELP IS COMING' ten times whilst a poor worker shambles across and picks up the items and studies them for ten minutes looking for tags haha

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    It DOES feel empowering, doesn't it? Like the brakes are off! Lol
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

Yeah until there is no tag and you have to ask for one. Why not go though the regular line. They don't bite and they most likely converse with you while you are checking out. No problems, just own it and go about your business.
    Part Time Girl

I hate the self checkout. I'm not there to work.last time I went to Target I was directed to use it I said i would rather leave the items in the store. Then I don't care who knows what i am buying.

Until your panties don't scan right, and you have to ask for help :/

Been there, done that.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Lol well the self checkout works great until you buy some Vasarette under shapers in Hi-Cut. I wear a size 6-7 in Hanes regular panties. I was feeling real brave two weeks ago and while my wife was grocery shopping I went over and found the Vasarettes on sale. I bought three of the two packs in various colors. I get home and the next morning I take one off of its little plastic hanger and try putting it on. No way I'd have been a no leg girl by noon if I had to wear it. Barely would even go over my thighs. I tell my wife she says " you can exchange them when go again just keep the receipt. I couldn't find the receipt so wife says she thought they would let me swap them for a larger size. She tells me to take them to the front at the returns desk. I swallowed hard as there was two women working there. I walked around till one had an empty line I took a deep breath walked up and asked if I could exchange these as bought my wife the wrong ones the last time we were here. She says yes. No problems till I go back to where they were hanging the week before. Can't find them. I had to ask the lady at the clothes try on rack where they had been moved to. Another big breath and a hard swallow and I ask her. She takes me around the ladies hosiery, bras, and all the other brands of panties. Finally she had to ask where the Vassarettes had been moved to. The lady says what's left is on the end of a rack that had the ladies pajamas on it. I found them now what size do I buy? I was looking ninth miles an hour trying to find a bigger size only ones they have are the XL size 8. I grab the two pairs and finally find another one laying on a shelve up by some night gowns. I roll them up and make a beeline to the return part up in front of the checkouts. Stand in line again and finally it's my turn. Crap I notice it wasn't the same one that was holding my returned ones. Deep breath again and tell her they are laying on the counter behind the other cashier. She walks over gets them and we make the trade. My wife already Brent thru the checkout line and was waiting for me out front of the return place. She was grinning and I was in a hurry to just go. Make sure of your size before you check yourself out.

Banned Read only
    Kairi,
    Your so right, go anywhere near a self checkout and and very helpful person will appear, drag all your stuff out the basket making sure most of the people round you have seen the contents , then at some point the inevitable bell will ring and the light flash so the nearest supervisor can have the item shouted out to double check it's price.

On that occasion I had some opaque holdups , lipstick , eye makeup remover and other odd bits. I felt like stripping to my pants and slipping on the holdups , applying the lipstick to make it clear to everyone the items were for me.

You have to develop a thick skin at checkouts anyway I was waiting in line that double backed on itself so my basket was if full view from all sides, I had just bought my stock of stockings ( Sadly BHS ,they did triple packs in three sizes and four shades so I waited for the sales to stock up .) I was continually getting glances at my basket as the line moved forward.
    Last edited by Teresa; 04-25-2017 at 02:39 PM.

I love self checkout, although I admit I don't like that it puts people out of work. Anyway, I reside in a small town, and the fewer people I have to interact with, the fewer opportunities for gossip to be spread.

When I am out of town, I don't mind checking out with a person. I think it builds character when one discovers that most clerks don't care what a person buys.

Platinum Member
    The self checkout lanes are in Fred Meyer and Wal-Mart as well as Target. Each set of lanes does have an attendant associate there to help with problems. I've found many times the inventory, although on the floor for sales, has not been inputted into the data base. I always find a price checker scanner in the store and use it to make sure the price is in the data base and correct. If you're self conscious about buying women's clothing using 'ship to store' then be careful. The associate always opens the package to make sure it is the correct item.

Yes, the express self checkout is very convenient EXCEPT, for the "friendly" SA who, I guess, assumes everyone is having trouble checking out, so she stands right next to you watching your every movement and what you're buying. I told one that I was doing fine. She didn't move, so I stopped checking out hoping she'd leave. Wrong again. I'm convinced "helpful" sometimes becomes "nosy". Yes, she got a glimpse of my makeup, hose, blouse, etc. She didn't smile. I felt like taking everything back, but didn't.

I tried the Target self checkout line a couple of times recently and each time something went wrong and I needed assistance to get the darn thing working. We could help make Target profitable if they fixed the bugs in their equipment.

I just use the regular check out the self checkout always seems to have a problem with at least one item. My theory is I'm paying for it they shouldn't really care what I'm buying!!
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Banned Read only
    Nancy,
    So it's not just a UK problem , the best solution would be a Cders checkout with a CDing helper, he wouldn't have to double check prices and would be very discrete , now that's a job I could do !

Banned Spammer
    Jaymees spot on!
    You're spending money, what's it got to do with them if you are buying a dress or a jar of gherkins, a pack of condoms and some lube haha

As Sami mentioned above, I don't like self-checkouts because they put people out of work. Also, self checkouts don't include the personal service of an actual cashier. I once found a very wonderful casual strapless dress in my size but it did not have a tag. There was however a smaller size with a tag so I took both up to the cashier so she could ring the price. I have purchased numerous things that required removal of a security tag, and a self checkout is not going to be able to do that either. All of this was done in guy mode so it's not the end of the world if a cashier sees what you are buying.

I used self-checkout for a while because it seemed faster. But half the time it would go "buzz, buzz, buzz--please wait for attendant!" So it actually took longer. It doesn't embarass me to buy femme stuff, no matter what mode I'm in, so I've been going through the normal checkout lately.

Meanwhile, they didn't lower the cost of the products because you are scanning your own things did they? no they most certainly didn't. Ever notice that those shopping corals they have in the parking lot now say "Thank You" (again saving on the man power and labor costs) Instead of "you save money by returning your cart"? because they were lying and got caught doing so. These stores still have cashiers, directing someone to use the self check out who doesn't WANT to use the self check out is wrong. Probably a lazy cashier that didn't want to be bothered but still wanted to be paid.

Now that the rant is over, I am at a place where I don't care if they see me buying what, with or with the SO there. I normally go to whatever line is the shortest and fastest. If that is the self check out, so be it.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-25-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: referring to deleted exchange
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

I don't have the "check out" problem. Years ago it was hard to buy things without being nervous, but now I shop and pay for things with no problems. I just act as if I'm not buying anything "weird" and most people just assume I'm picking up something for the wife.

Only once has a cashier said anything, I was buying panties and she said something like, "Something tells me these aren't for you" I smiled and said, "actually they are I find them very comfortable". She quietly chuckled, probably thought I was being a smart alec.

I use the self checkout because it's faster. That's it. Besides, it still doesn't prevent those "uncomfortable" encounters with store personnel. Yeah, 'fraid so. Story alert...

I was at Wal-Mart last week (in boy mode) and had picked up a pretty coral, scoop-necked t-shirt. There was a clerk directing people to the next open self checkout station. When I got to the head of the line, she looked at my choice and said something like, "I don't know about that color..." and laughed, obviously expecting me to clarify that it was not for me. I just smiled and winked. The look on her face was priceless.

I do not use the self checkout that much. Last time was for two grocery items! It does not bother me to buy anything and use the cashier. I bought things for my wife all the time and no problems or questions from bras and panties to pads! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Sam, u could save a bundle by shopping at thrifts. I have a semi full of things I've bought from them. And, we have so many in SoCal!

No one bats an eye at me in drab when I shop in them either. Only 2 incidents in nearly 20 years! And, they weren't that big a deal!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

unexpected item in bag! Please wait for assistance!

I buy fem stuff along with groceries. Then when the assistant goes to help someone, I put the good stuff through.

Quote Originally Posted by wbdavid View Post
    I hate the self checkout. I'm not there to work.last time I went to Target I was directed to use it I said i would rather leave the items in the store. Then I don't care who knows what i am buying.
    Good for you for not using the self checkouts. I never use them either whether I'm in drab or fully dressed.