Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you get into makeup?

When did you get into makeup?

I was recently found out by my fiancée (went VERY well.) one of her very first comments was "Can I do your makeup then?" As she was making me try on the full outfit I had on when she walked in on me. It was a little awkward for me since she was just finding out and I was trying to gauge what she was thinking. I consciously said No (really kind of wish I had said yes now haha) but I'm not 100% certain if I'm ready to go that far. I've been wearing clothing only and aside from the occasional outing with panties I haven't gone much farther. What I'm getting at is how do you know when your ready and how much did you do? Do you go minimal or all out?

Once I started dressing, it wasn't too long before I became interested in my nails. I had already started growing them out a little in order to learn not to chew on them. I just started with clear polish and sometimes wear very light pink or neutral colors for weeks at a time. This just makes the nails look healthier, as opposed to going with a more glamorous color.

It took longer, probably another year, before I started experimenting with facial makeup. I am better at some of it than others but find that, with practice, I am gradually getting better.

I've always loved makeup, so that was one of the first things I really got into. My first in-person store purchase related to gender issues included a lot of makeup, and that was back in 1969. I did okay but I got serious with it in 1978, got a good book on makeup techniques, a basic set of makeup brushes and practiced a ton.

I wish I'd had a fiancée who wanted to do my makeup. You're very lucky to have her, so I'd say let her help!
    My name is Carol.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I first put on a dress (had underwear much earlier) when I was about 15, pretty soon followed that up with make up. Just lipstick and eye shadow at first, but over time more and more was added. By 20 I was going the whole hog but still without a wig.
    Last edited by DIANEF; 05-10-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Aspiring Member natalie edwards's Avatar
    When a woman excitedly offers help, NEVER say no!
    It comes off and whats the worst that happens? You either love it or not. But I'll bet you love it! That first look in the mirror and seeing her looking back at you is incredible!

While I started dressing at 4 or 5,I think lipstick was used when I was thirteen.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Beginning if 2014 was when I first tried on makeup/lipstick.
    I started very minimal and progressed as time went on.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I never even considered wigs, jewelry or makeup before joining here. I was only wearing women's cloths and when i joined here i started reading threads about wigs and jewelry. I asked my wife about makeup and she suggested we don't share and that I buy my own. We did and she showed me how to apply it. With this site I now have my own jewelry, wigs and makeup, I feel much more complete and don't know how I dressed all these years without it. As for your fiancée I would go with whatever she is curious about. My wife loves having me as her husband and girlfriend to shop with and try on each other's clothes, maybe she wants you as her girlfriend. Feel blessed that she OK with it.

Hi again, Emily.
    Natalie's advice is sage. When your SO offers to help, you must do two things. First, say "Yes, please." Second, start thinking of ways to let her know how special she is. Seriously. You have a gem there. Make sure that you show her that you know it.

As for when to take that step, it doesn't matter. If you're curious about it, give it a try. Let your SO make you over. She'll have fun and you'll probably be amazed at the results, both visually and emotionally. Fair warning though. Feeling pretty can be habit forming.

Hugs

Kelly Marie

Aspiring Member
    I started experimented with makeup when I was a teenager. Bought my own mid 20's. 95% on the time I am all or nothing when dressing.
    Sara

Emily;

The makeup is a final element of a complete transformation. Do it. Make up creates an impressive appearance and illusion, and in my mind is the one thing that makes an incredible difference in credible appearance. DO IT. Do the make up.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    I always loved having my makeup done by friends and makeup artists for photoshoots, so I picked up some tips & watched some video tutorials.

About 5 years ago. Just decided to watch videos and practice. I have gotten better. The sensation of looking like a woman is amazing.

Emily , I don't know how things have been going for you and your fiancé since she found out but , if things went well other than you saying no to the makeup then talk to her . Tell her that you were afraid , tell her that you didn't know what she was really thinking about you at the time . Ask her how she feels about knowing this thing about you and if she is still okay about it , ask her to do your makeup sometime if she would like . If the cat is out of the bag , find out if this will bring you closer or drive you apart . Best of luck .
    I don't know why , but I am .

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    If you've ever seen photos of me? U know I'm not!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I got into makeup when I was about 16. I had a p/t job and saved money, bought a wig (very cheap) and some makeup. I loved it !
    Unfortunately I looked like a cheap hooker since I had no idea what I was doing. All the images I had to go by were in men's magazines and you know how over the top that can be.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Silver Member
    Makeup transforms the face, done properly, and a willing and experienced female can do wonders. Let her do it for you and thank her a thousand times! Now that the face is pretty, you need to transform your head. A good wig is the only answer. Ask your fiance' if she will help you buy one. Use a wig store, if possible. Give her a hug and a kiss and treat her to something special!

Haven't attempted a make-over yet but I just know it will be a disaster.

shamelessly posting to get 10 posts and access the make-up tips forum

I appreciate all the responses I've received!

I took info from several of the posts and talked to my fiancée today. I asked once how comfortable she was with everything she's found out since last week. I then asked her about the makeup, she replied by saying " I can do yours but we'll have to buy your shades." ( I'm a darker Hispanic, she's an almost albino[me exaggerating] Caucasian.) So maybe this weekend with payday we can do something.

Believe me I've thanked her for understanding and being okay with it plenty and we even crack jokes on the subject on occasion. ( she's mentioned to let her know when I get uncomfortable.)

Very early when trying on clothes and using lipstick. i used to watch my sisters very carefully as they put on their makeup and I also watched my Mother and my aunt and that way I learned a lot.

Very shortly after I began dressing. I'd watch my mother and would copy what she did. The first few times were funny, but later, it got easier. Once, I didn't get all the lipstick off and she asked me if I had been wearing lipstick. I said "no", but I think she knew. Things are much easier now, except for false eyelashes.

I think it was when i was in high school i would watch my mother and then copy while she was at work. Neighbor came over once while i had eye liner on. She didn't say anything to me about it. One time i was watch my mother and she put mascara on me and i had it on until she was done then wiped it off.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I first started to try using makeup in my 20s and was not very good, think clown lol.
    It wasn't really until a few years ago I began to experiment with buying and using my own on a regular basis
    I'm completely self taught in how I do it but have watched a few videos. And did have a makeover earlier this year.
    For me this is one of the most enjoyable parts of my dressing I enjoy giving myself a nice clean and soft but feminine look
    it's a work in progress but I love doing it

I tried playing with my sister's make up when I was in high school. Seeing that there was no way to hide the hideous birthmark, I just gave up and covered the mirrors. All I could see then, were the clothes and accessories from the viewpoint of my own eyes, so make up wouldn't make a difference for me anyway.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I tried eye shadow when I was little but still have not tried full makeup I go down the make up aisle and get so confused. My wife and I are planning a trip to MAC to at least get some help withthe right foundation.
    Shannon