Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a CD/transgender town

Banned Spammer

Lightbulb Having a CD/transgender town

In los Angeles we have a China Town, little Tokyo, little Saigon, little Ethiopia and more but no transgender town. In West Hollywood there is a community for mostly gay males and some places for lesbian women.

When there was club illusions, peanuts, high heels,the palms, jewels catch one, the study,the horizon and more it was as close as you get to having a community and gathering place.

Having a community and gathering place would be Awesome!

Imagine trans shopping places,salons,spas,gyms, restaurants within walking distance to each other
    If I want to reach the segmented community in the open out and about it's harder.san Francisco probably has it already.
    They were scattered everywhere in Hollywood and not coherent in a area.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by reinasblack; 04-25-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Silver Member
    Those who are trans and visibly out are a tiny, tiny minority in the population at large. It would never be feasible with such a small number of people.

We have one up here in Massachusetts, or at least as close as can be expected.. Provincetown.

pride-in-the-city-of-provincetown__large.jpg

The whole place has been and LGBT haven for many, many years. It is on the outermost tip of Cape Cod, and is beautiful.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

No surprise MM, I got a tattoo in P-town...A most interesting place, a must see

There is no need for trans-town. Places for dining, shopping, personal care, etc, already exist. They are typically spotted by the little sign in the window stating that they accept Visa, MC, AMX or even cash.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Oh so true Sarah, and why would we want a special place, we are just people like anyone else. I don't want to be labeled
    and marked by a spacific place or area

I would think there are not enough out to support a whole town. Shopping, groceries, housing, jobs, schools, churches, courthouses, and etc. think of the law enforcement and meeting government rules and regs. Now a small community of CDs in a particular big city that hang together in certain places are about as far as I can see this going. Not raining on your parade but just being reasonable.

Aspiring Member
    Once upon a time, before I was born, there was Bugis Street in Singapore. Not quite a trans* neighbourhood strictly speaking, but still a beacon of trans* culture locally before it became a budget fashion street of sorts. On one hand I would gladly support trans-friendly shops congregated in one place, but I'm genuinely concerned that a ghetto might ensue instead depending on how society and the local observer treats the trans community (and it's the fight of those who will to gain acceptance both within and without. Especially the latter.) More ghettos are the last thing society ever needs now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylyn View Post
    ...courthouses, and etc. think of the law enforcement and meeting government rules and regs.
    The mind reels at the police force

"I'm issuing you a ticket. No white after labor day."

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

A CD/transgender town. Yeah, I don't think so. After the massacre in Florida at that gay night club, it would just invite some lunatic that wants to wipe us all out in a hurry. Remember, there's still a lot of hate out there where we'll still almost get shot just trying to go the the bathroom.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I was thinking the same things as Lily and Lexi. The concentration would be a de facto ghetto, the message being that "those people" ought not to mix with "normal" society. While LGBT clubs don't usually attract a dangerous element, it does happen from time to time. A whole town or neighborhood would seem to invite trouble.

So Sara is right. We don't need it. Jeri Ann spent last Saturday "mixed with polite society". Nobody cares. Okay, nobody but that grumpy lady at the nail salon, but we're still not sure she wasn't just near-sighted. Seriously though, Reina. There just isn't a need for it, and if there was, it wouldn't be economically feasible. So let's make the most of what we have.

Banned Spammer
    We have that here!

Is this a TG/CD ghetto?
    Do we attract the worst types?

San Francisco has these areas not by design.

Following up with Kelly Marie, I think such a place would attract the worst types. To demonstrate the point, see the area around Major Sertorio and Rego Freitas in Sao Paulo. A smaller version would be the area around Post and Larkin in San Francisco.

For me I like to just be with regular people. I'm out and feel totally comfortable in all situations. So for me to be part of a group is something I have done but prefer not to. I do believe I'm like a lot of TG's in this way that I just want to live my life and be looked on as just another person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean 103 View Post
    For me I like to just be with regular people....
    Hey! Crossdressers ARE regular people.

Silver Member
    A "special" place for anyone is counterproductive. In extreme situations, they're called ghettos. A place where the inhabitants can be ignored or even forced into by bigots in the majority who say "You have your own place". In the wider world, nothing improves.

I believe we are far better served by us being out in the world of the muggles. It has been proven that the single best predictor of whether a person is tolerant of any group, racial or otherwise, is whether or not he/she knows someone personally from that group. You want acceptance? Get known. Get out there. This is the strategy used by the gay community, which is now much further ahead of us in general acceptance.

The best thing to do is be yourself where you are. I agree with the others that it would be a ghetto. We are regular people and many are married and have jobs and everything to live well.
    Part Time Girl

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    There are all these things in Connecticut without fighting the traffic to P Town. There are lingerie, wig and Dress Barns and other shops that are T friendly in more communities than you realize.

Bugis street

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Catherine View Post
    Once upon a time, before I was born, there was Bugis Street in Singapore. Not quite a trans* neighbourhood strictly speaking, but still a beacon of trans* culture locally before it became a budget fashion street of sorts. On one hand I would gladly support trans-friendly shops congregated in one place, but I'm genuinely concerned that a ghetto might ensue instead depending on how society and the local observer treats the trans community (and it's the fight of those who will to gain acceptance both within and without. Especially the latter.) More ghettos are the last thing society ever needs now.
    Lily, in my very young adult days I visited Bugis Street, It was a major tourist attraction and I still have a photo of a beautiful tgirl with my arm around her. I never knew these transgendered people existed before then and never could have imagined that some years later I would be trying to emulate them. Maybe they planted the seed in my mind to find my feminine side.

Kind of an interesting idea, but essentially isn't it just a bigger closet?
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

I think there would still be some who would tell me and others "you shouldn't go out looking like THAT!".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Many years ago I visited Phuket. Which has a large T presence. My vanilla friend and I went a T club and we met a lot of the Thai "girls" called Ladyboys there. Unfortunately, I couldn't ask many of the questions I wanted to because of my friend, who can't know about my "hobby"!

We visited the Bugis St. area clubs in Singapore 2 years ago. Not a T in site all nite! Except for my Asian T friend who passes. She dressed, I wasn't.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    There was a T town by a popular TS club. Had fun around there. Most everyone was a "show girl" .they looked good enough that many worked in regular clubs as Hostess,strippers,waitressing, lip syncing and more. Many of the show girls made enough to retire and become Philanthropist. Old mansions were used to benefit the tg communities.
    The stores around made custom shoes and dresses. Money flow was good for them. They had nice condo's ,clothes and cars. I was taught some things by some showgirls.
    There were some workin girls but i never new to much later.
    Those stores had every women shoe and dress in any size for anyone but was mostly show girls that patronized these stores. It was a community that was fun and supportive.
    Last edited by reinasblack; 04-28-2017 at 08:43 PM.

I lived in NY for 45 years and in the most free town ever, I still felt judged and out of place. Never comfortable dressing. I have been in DFW for over 5 years and its the first place I totally feel free. We have parties , clubs and bars to go to. I suspect there are crazies everywhere but unless they have a gun (and many do) I am not worrying about them. The gurls in this town are great and love to hang.
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

There was a report I heard recently about people of an older generation who identified themselves as L, G, B or T, who were out, being forced back into the closet when they moved to retirement communities because they found the stigma, the prejudices, the isolation, etc, that they battled against when they were young still existing within the age group.

So some company developed an initiative to create retirement communities with majority ( not completely ) LGBT members. I wish I could find that report, because I was dealing with other commitments while it was on and couldn't give it the attention I would have ideally liked, but it eludes me now .