Thread: Coming out at work

Coming out at work

Well, Wednesday is the big day: HR meets with my department to fill everyone in on my transition. At the moment only my department head plus a few close friends know I'm transitioning.

All on track for full time starting June 1.
    The end of fear is the beginning of wisdom -- Bertrand Russell

Aspiring Member
    Wow a big day indeed. Congratulations on starting full-time, I have to imagine there's some serious excitement your feeling right now (and probably a little anxiety too).

If you don't mind my asking, I have two questions. One, how long ago did you come out to your HR and department head? Two, how did you decide it was the right time to tell them? I ask only because I'm at a stage of needing to have that same small audience conversation and I'm having trouble deciding when is the right time. Just curious what your experience was.

Hope all goes well for you!!

Hugs, Bria

So, Kathy--how did it go? Any kick-back? Are you going to be able to transition there without a hassle? How will HR help?
    Marie

Thanks! Yes, it's both exciting and terrifying!

To answer the questions from Alyssa and Marie:

I teach at a large research university, so because of the academic calendar it makes sense for me to transition during the summer rather than in mid semester. Planning ahead, I started the conversation with HR back in February. They immediately said that the university policy was to support trans students, faculty, and staff. I'm not the first person to transition here and they're familiar with the issues. The head of HR met with my department head and dean to fill them in, let them know about policies, and plan a meeting to inform the whole department and try to,address any questions people might have (it's a large department with a few dozen professors and over a hundred grad students so this wasn't something I could do one on one with everyone). My dept head and dean were supportive as expected; these are well educated scientists.

Over the last few weeks, I've been talking with HR and the head of the campus LGBTQ office to go over what they wanted to say at the meeting. They suggested, and I agreed, that neither me nor my wife (who works in the same department) attend the meeting so that people wouldn't feel inhibited in asking questions or expressing negative opinions.

The meeting happened, and feedback has been good. I've heard nothing but supportive things; if anyone has a problem with it they've not said anything to me or my wife.

So far, so good. I'm not naive enough to think there won't be some problems but the institution is supportive.

Well good for you, Kathy. It is especially helpful that your wife is so amicable with the whole thing!
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by MarieTS View Post
    Well good for you, Kathy. It is especially helpful that your wife is so amicable with the whole thing!
    Yes, I'm very lucky. My wife is beyond amicable; she prefers women and has thought of me as her wife anyway, so going full time is just making apparent to the rest of the world how she's already seen me.

Glad to hear that everything went well.
    My boss has noticed some changes in how I have been presenting myself at work and even has a little chat with me. Basically "We have noticed some changes. We don't care. Let us know if we can do anything!"

This week I am going to have an informal chat with the HR manager. I work at a small office/company but part of a Fortune 400 company so I am sure someone has transitioned somewhere in the larger organization.

Congratulations, Kath! It looks like you're just about ready to disappear into the Real World. Please keep in touch.

Lallie
    Time for a change.