Thread: O.K., now that was awkward...

O.K., now that was awkward...

...and here was the scenario:

My family participated in a rather formal event this past weekend where dressing up for the occasion was pretty much expected. All the ladies were attired in their new spring finery, and dresses, heels, and pantyhose were conspicuous by their nearly universal presence there (how unusual/cool was that? ). Next thing I know, my adult daughter takes off her coat immediately upon arrival at the event, only to reveal a dress that everyone "ooh's" and "aah's" over the moment they lay eyes upon it...the (gasp!) exact same dress that I had bought for myself online only a few months ago! Needless to say, my heart jumped into my mouth at that very moment, temporarily rendering me speechless. On top of that, this also currently happens to be one of my favorite dresses as it fits me like glove, is super comfortable, and being of a bodycon style is also very slimming.

Of course, my daughter still wore it way better than I ever could, and if for no other reason than that she is several dress sizes smaller than me and is in great physical shape. Then again, what's a proper crossdressing Dad to do but smile inwardly after overcoming the initial shock of this visual, and reflect instead on the fact that good taste obviously runs in our family, and that she is a chip off the old block in more ways than she can ever imagine. And clearly, we also shop at the same places as it turns out.

But here's the kicker - after purchasing this dress and falling in love with it the first time I put it on, I wrote a glowing customer review on the company's website using my usual assumed name. This subsequently received several "likes" confirming that other customers had also found my review to be helpful. Of course, this begs the question as to whether or not my daughter unknowingly read the same review at some point, and that it may have played some part in influencing her to buy this dress as well.

As the old radio show would have put it..."Only The Shadow knows..."
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 05-01-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Yes, only the Shadow knows and he ain't telling! LOL Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Amazing !
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Yep, only the shadow knows for sure. Kind of a strange occurrence.
    Part Time Girl

Leslie, show us a picture of that dress, please. I have got it in my mind to buy a bodycon, and have been looking at some styles.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Wow! What a story ...

What a tremendous story! Assuming you're not out to your daughter, post if there's an interesting story there. Hugs, Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lynn3 View Post
    Leslie, show us a picture of that dress, please. I have got it in my mind to buy a bodycon, and have been looking at some styles.
    Sorry, Amy - no opportunity to take or post a picture of that dress at the moment...I'm currently wandering forlornly in the DADT desert, and my options for dressing are very limited at this time.

I can't even send you a link to the website of the chain that originally carried this dress. It only operates in Canada at the moment, and the item in question has since sold out as it was already on clearance when I bought it (and yes, my daughter inherited that particular bargain-hunter gene from me as well, so she probably bought it around the same time as I did.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Cool story and daughters always wear the dress better,yes indeed

So sorry that you aren't "out" to your Daughter. Perhaps you might enjoy yourselves.

My daughter does it to me (borrows my stuff knowing she wears it better - almost challenging me), but she helps with my make up so I don't mind that she looks better.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I'd like to think that she read the review. A genetic pull?

If there were ever a time for a gigantic loose lips sink slips moment, this has to be it.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

That must have been a small shock. Just accept the unintended flattery and enjoy.

Just curious. Does your daughter know you dress?

I saw a skirt at a friend's store that I thought about buying. A few days later me daughter came home with the same skirt, maybe taste is genetic,

For those who asked - and in the spirit of further clarification as to where I stand with my daughter - yes, she does know that I am transgender and that I have a fondness for women's clothing, and my adult son now knows this as well.

It's not something we ever talk about...there's that demon "DADT" again...and the fact is, they both found out (separately) about my gender non-conforming issues in the worst possible way - by me being "outed" to them some years ago by my wife in the heat of a couple of particularly vicious fights about (what else?) - my crossdressing. To their everlasting credit, both my son and daughter took the news in stride, and it has never affected our relationship. If anything, it probably made my daughter feel closer to me on some level as it made me more "human" in her eyes, and a welcome counterpoint to the monolithic "John Wayne" macho image that I had tried to project all of my life as a way of attempting to bury and suppress my feminine side and keep it hidden from the outside world (as we all tend to do, as I've since learned here). Still, knowing is not the same as seeing (again, as in "DADT"), so there really is no value in my rocking the boat here in the event of a disastrous outcome with fuller disclosure.

Ironically enough, my daughter is otherwise very open-minded, works as a high school teacher and is acutely aware of evolving LGBT and transgender community issues and the increased visibility of its members - not only in the wider world, but also closer to home in the way that some of these matters impact even her own students. In fact, her particular school board has recently implemented some far-reaching and progressive policies to both acknowledge and protect its transgender students, and her own school recently even had dedicated gender-neutral washroom facilities installed. Similarly, a Gay-Straight Alliance student association was recently set up in my daughter's school as well, which she has volunteered to oversee. And if that wasn't enough, one of her very best friends going back many years is male fellow teacher who is openly gay and will soon be marrying his partner.

So yes, given all of these positive indicators, one would think that I would be willing to take a chance on revealing more of my feminine side to my daughter...and yet...I hesitate. We currently have a great relationship, so why take a chance on messing it up? - especially since there are now grandchildren involved as well. Be interesting to see, though, if she ever turns to me as a "resource" at some future date to help her better understand her transgender students as opposed to relying solely on academic teaching aids to do so, as is now the case.

As for my son, we've never talked about the "Big Reveal" again since it originally took place. In his eyes, I am still his "manly" Dad, his primary role model, and his "go-to" person for all things regarding life lessons and experiences, career matters, homeownership and related handyman and repair issues, as well as being an all-around sounding board to bounce ideas off of. And when it comes to open-mindedness, he doesn't just talk the talk, he actually walks the proverbial walk as well. When he found out about my transgenderism, as a way of allaying my embarrassment over it he not only re-affirmed his unconditional love for me, my son also made a point of reminding me that he had knowingly rented his first apartment along with his newly-married wife smack in the middle of Toronto's "Gayborhood". He made it very clear that it didn't bother them one bit that most of their neighbors were gay, that they had gotten to know a number of them personally over time, and had even become quite friendly with some of them. The two of them had been seeking to locate in an area that was close to work, they liked the vibe of this particular neighborhood, and it just happened to fit the bill on all accounts.

Come to think of it, I've actually got a couple of amazing kids here, so all the more reason not to push the envelope too far. With the right furnishings and decorations, the closet can still be a rather comfortable place if one just puts one's mind to it, all things considered...
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 05-02-2017 at 10:07 PM.

I find it interesting how afraid you are for so many years...

Leslie, your follow up on your kids is just beyond lovely. They sound amazing for sure! So glad to hear you have great, rock-stable relationships with both. Too bad you don't go bra shopping with your daughter, but seems trivial in the grand scheme of things. Also, I'm sure there would be blow back from your wife if your TG side became a stronger piece in your relationship with your kids, completely understandable you would be hesitant to go there. Hugs, Michelle

Doesn't anyone realize that if Leslie were to "open up" to her daughter,she may be very impressed that her Dad has been a closet case forever to "spare her of all things TG"...My point is,that her telling either of her offspring is not a deal breaker. If Leslie could open up and share,perhaps she wouldn't have the closeted angst that started this post. If gender gifts matter to you,then create a life that allows them to be a part of it.

Well, being related it is normal for you to have similar tastes.

I bet you were proud of the look that your daughter portrayed. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

What a wonderful story and a fabulous account of your relationship with your children.
    Just trying to be the real me!

Quote Originally Posted by michelleddg View Post
    Leslie, your follow up on your kids is just beyond lovely. They sound amazing for sure! So glad to hear you have great, rock-stable relationships with both. Too bad you don't go bra shopping with your daughter, but seems trivial in the grand scheme of things. Also, I'm sure there would be blow back from your wife if your TG side became a stronger piece in your relationship with your kids, completely understandable you would be hesitant to go there. Hugs, Michelle
    Thank you for the kind compliments, michelle, and clearly, you "get" where I am coming from, even though others may disagree. My wife's DADT stance would certainly throw a monkey wrench into the relationship status quo that exists between all of us at this time should I try to put out "feelers" to see just how accepting my kids would be of my transgenderism beyond what I already know.

I'm pretty much on the same page here as Paula56 whose posts you are likely familiar with as well. She has written very candidly about how she has wrestled with this very issue in the past, and how she has come to terms with the dilemma of reluctantly accepting her current situation while keeping the greater good of her family in mind.

Very interesting Leslie, hmmm makes you wonder how we intersect with each other