Thread: Increased confidence/concentration with HRT?

Aspiring Member

Increased confidence/concentration with HRT?

I'm noticing something interesting and while it's occurrence fits time wise with when I started HRT, I can't say for sure there's a correlation or causation. I'm a sports referee. For better than 12 years now I've been refereeing from youth up through adult semi-professional leagues. I've been a good ref, among the top 50 in my state for many years. However, now that the winter break is over and spring season is underway, I've noticed that my performance has changed. I feel more confident all around when I'm refereeing. I feel like I've got a better view of the game, I'm more in tune with what the players are doing and I just feel like my concentration level is higher than it ever was before. It's really hard to put my finger on it or describe exactly the feeling that I have now that I never had before but it feels good and so far it has translated into better performance by me overall.

The only reason I bring HRT into this conversation is that I'm about a month into it. This is the first season I've refereed while on hormones and it also happens to be the first season I'm experiencing this new level of mental focus when refereeing. After 12 years of refereeing, I wouldn't expect to see such a profound change in my abilities. So while it could just be coincidence, I have to at least wonder if there isn't a connection.

Have any of you experienced a similar mental performance change in maybe your job or a hobby or something?

Not so sure that the HRT may be the cause, but it is hard to not think about it. Would have to have studies of controlled groups, with a placebo effects of HRT.

I know from my past, just the fact that one has started doing something about our dysphoria lets the real you be more confident.
    From my psychiatrist notes, he noticed a big change in my personality and confidence in myself.

just live...i encourage you to NOT overanalyze..
    it will all come together over time..

maybe it matters maybe it doesnt....maybe you just feel better about yourself...maybe you are searching for clues...maybe maybe maybe why why why...i've been there

Key is you are doing whats right for you and your moments of truth are probably still in the future
    I am real

All I can say is that I never read anything in the medical literature that claimed a calming effect existed as a side-effect of hormones, my endo and my therapist both say they have never heard of that as an effect, and I have never experienced it. I do believe the numerous people who say they felt calmer when they went on hormones, but from my experience I'm inclined to think it's psychological. Regardless of why it happens, for some folks, it happens. Accept the gift.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Whilst medical literature may not have documented the effects that we experience when beginning HRT, that does not invalidate our experiences.

I am inclined to agree with Georgia that at least a part of the effects we experience may be due simply to the fact that we are doing something about the dysphoria.

Although I cannot recall anyone else saying that they had suddenly become more confident, I would not dismiss this because I remember the lack of confidence I experienced at the height of my struggles over my gender identity.

Again, whilst not discussed much in these forums, it is easy for me to believe in a greater degree of concentration because less effort in our brain is going to combat the dysphoria.

On the other hand, it may just be a side effect of the feeling of relief because Alyssa is finally on the way to being seen as the woman she always knew herself to be
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Hmm, are there any other changes in your lifestyle? Diet, sleep, exercise? If you just dropped sodas, you would be amazed how much clearer your mind becomes by significantly reducing sugar intake.
    You are you. You are beautiful. Labels are worthless.

I have never heard of anyone gaining an increased ability to concentrate as a result of HRT. It could just be that you feel better about yourself and where your life is heading, and so you're thinking more clearly. Then again, my experience from HRT isn't commonly shared by others either... I have significantly less fatigue (something I started feeling in my teenage years), much more energy, and can easily get through every day on just 6 hrs of sleep, whereas throughout my adult life I always struggled to stay awake during the day on 8-9 hrs of sleep (and was completely non-functional on 6 hrs!) I've been on HRT for more than a year, so I really can't contribute this to a blip or anomaly at this point. It's real and I feel it, despite it not being a commonly shared experience.

For now I'd encourage you to journal your thoughts and feelings and see how you feel 2, 4, and 6 months later. From the benefit of hindsight, you'll have a clearer understanding of what was long-lasting and what was temporary.

Aspiring Member
    Thanks Mirya, it will be interesting to see how it goes in the long run. I'm not trying to read too much into it at this point but it was a curious coincidence. The reduction in dysphoria could be a cause too I suppose. Turning down the volume on that "background noise" in my head probably makes me better able to concentrate. The confidence part I could also attribute to just my change in attitude toward my life in general. I feel like for the first time I'm really in control of myself and where I'm headed and I suppose that may be translating then to the field as well. Journaling all this is a good idea and I have been doing that off and on for a while now. Thank you for the suggestion.