Thread: Bras for posture and back support

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar

Bras for posture and back support

Several years I was in an auto accident as a result of this I have upper back issues. Since retiring I have been getting more walking in, but there is a problem. I am getting upper back pain and my wife says that I tend to slump a bit now. So I have tried wearing a bra while walking and throughout the day. Well my posture has improved and the back pain has greatly decreased. I told my wife about it and she says,"so wear a bra". Has anyone also experienced the benefit of better posture, or decreased back pain while wearing a bra? Who knew that there is a benefit to a guy wearing a bra, sorry no forms with this one.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I wear a sports bra and a latex mid-drift shaper for support, until the weather gets too warm. Wear a corset (not too tight) when I'm going to be operating machinery. It's a lot less bulky than the back brace the doctor "gave" me.

Interesting, Yes I have a back problem also and wearing a bra does indeed help. Who knew this I guess we do now. Never thought about it much.
    Part Time Girl

Had not thought about it but it is a good excuse to wear one! I will have to wear mine more and see if it helps! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Glad to hear your wife is willing to see the practical side of things, Gillian.

Wearing an underwire bra does nothing for me in that regard. In fact, if anything it hurts my back or causes that dull sort of stress pain.

But I've discovered that wearing a high impact sports bra, especially a racer back helps a LOT with support in my back and with posture when going on a run.
    I am not a woman nor am I a man... I am an enby. Hi, I am Wren.

Tried the idea on my wife last night after reading this post. She laughed and said that only a crossdresser would think this is true. She added that I should look around at all the women with bad posture that have been wearing bras since their early teens, if not before. My opinion, and hers, is that the structure of a bra, in and of itself, does not in any way improve your posture. On the other hand if wearing a bra reminds you to stand up straight, then wear one, if you can get away with it. But it's all about proper body alignment, and you can do that naked.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 05-14-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Good point. I love to wear my longline bra with the ten hooks in back. I certainly adds stiffness and sometimes prevents curving over and excess slouching. And yesterday I added a short and a long waist nipper. Comfortable enough and adds a bit of stiffness.
    True, I also do some back exercises. I do the "plank" exercise for 60 seconds every morning. It seems to help.
    Last edited by JenniferR771; 05-14-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I have back issues and I'm over 70. I find firm, all in one, girdles and hi heels r excellent for improving my posture and easing back pain.

Not to mention how they improve Sherry's looks!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor186 View Post
    ...She added that I should look around at all the women with bad posture that have been wearing bras since their early teens, if not before. My opinion, and hers, is that the structure of a bra, in and of itself, does not in any way improve your posture...
    False equivalency here.

Did it ever occur to your wife that the alleged "bad posture" that many women exhibit is actually the result of varying degrees of osteoporosis that many older women suffer from due to a lack of estrogen - especially post menopause - and wearing a bra has no effect on that condition either way?

Leslie, I would say that the false equivalency (red herring really) is being perpetrated by you. Bad posture, like obesity, is epidemic here in the USA in young and middle aged otherwise healthy people. You don't have to go near the serious issue of older women and osteoporosis to know this. (Only about 5% of women, mostly elderly, have osteoporosis.)

Not sure why the last part of your sentence includes a question mark. Of course wearing a bra does not help post menopausal women treat osteoporosis and less estrogen production. A simple search will tell you diet, exercise, certain vitamins and medications and occasionally surgery are the normal treatments. The same class of treatments you would expect to see recommended to treat poor posture and back pain.

Anyone who has dealt with the wicked pain of sciatica or a herniated disc, as I have, knows this first hand.

I have found that wearing an all in one that is a little tight to help a lot when I have a back issue.

If you want, they DO make bras with special upper back support. back support bra.jpg
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Happily Married CD !! Ina Girdle's Avatar
    Gillian, I am with Lexi, and I would recommend the (Carnival Front Close Longline with Back Support Bra 755), I bought mine online from Herroom.com . it is designed to give lots of support.

I have lower back pain from years of heavy lifting as a young man. I would read some of the posts here where guys would write about wearing firm girdles and how it helped their lower back pain and I said to myself,"why not just say you love to wear a girdle and be done with it." Well I have found that some of Rago's firmer panty girdle do in fact greatly reduce the amount of my back pain....but I LOVE wearing them too!

I hope you find something that gives you some relief!!

Ina

I have back problems as well. I found the best way to deal with it is to just stand up straight and quit slouching. Works wonders and no chance of getting outed.
    Jon

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Just stand up straight, and don't slouch, sounds easy, but it isn't. I only wore a bra occasionally in the past, and never thought about any affects that is could have, other than leaving marks on your chest after wearing it tightly. I guess posture wasn't my strong suit, until now. All I know is that wearing a bra is forcing me to put my shoulders back and stand more erect. I look at it this way, if wearing a bra relieves any pain then it is worth it. My wife doesn't care as long as it doesn't show, and it would be better than taking pain medicine. I can't speak to the women who have worn bras for years, but then again I'm not carrying breasts which would weigh anyone down. My wife has had several friends have breast reduction surgery due to the weight causing back pain. My only obvious short coming is with chest out and shoulders back, my A to B cup shows and any padding only adds to it. As a hot summer weather comes bra straps are going to show through a T-shirt. I guess I have have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

I find it ironic that as the sexual side of dressing is decreasing a need for a bra is increasing. Bras are cheaper than a brace too.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I used to suffer from shoulder pain from running on the treadmill. A doctor suggested compression shirts or a sports bra. I get too hot too quickly in compression shirts except in winters so I wear a sports bra for workout. It has made a very big difference and I can now extend my running workout to almost a full hour. I have noticed sports bras help in correcting posture during extended periods of sitting at the desk. I attribute it to the feeling of being constantly reminded to sit straight from the pressure that the straps exert. It does take a while to get comfortable in a sports bra.