Thread: Where do I start getting professional advice?

Where do I start getting professional advice?

I have been questioning and curious for as long as I can remember, I am now 43, and wonder if it's even worth bothering with.

I live in the the Greater Manchester area, UK. I wonder where I should go with getting professional advice. Is there any other first point of contact other than my GP? I have searched online and the closest gender identity clinic appears to be in Sheffield.

What is the process for consultations? While I don't look forward to spilling my guts to a psychologist, I guess that would be the best for me, as I am so unsure about what I really want. I have wondered about HRT but is that even the right thing for me to do?

My wife alone know about my dressing, but she just thinks it's a fetish. I was going to say she doesn't know my desire to transition, but then again, I'm not sure that's what I want either. I want to feel more feminine, and I wonder if my anger issues (especially road rage) has anything to do with my gender id issues.

Where do I go? Any advice appreciated.

S
    Swottie

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    As you are currently unsure of your need to transition, you might like to begin by finding a support group in the Manchester area that would be similar in style to the Claire Project in Brighton (which is near me). They welcome cross-dressers and people who are or think they may be transsexual and give you an opportunity to discuss with others.

From your opening paragraph, it doesn't seem to me that your Gender Dysphoria has reached a point where you feel you absolutely need to transition. Given the delays in getting appointments at a Gender Identity Clinic even after your GP has referred you, I think that a support group might meet your needs better at this point.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Thank you
    Swottie