Thread: Missing those Magazine Covers

Missing those Magazine Covers

When I was much younger, I so loved and looked forward to seeing the most recent women's magazine covers. Glamour, Vogue, Cosmopolitan, etc.. Those covers of the once upon time "super models" gave me such a thrill of hoped for femininity. Sadly, it seems that window is now gone. Recent covers are deplorable, nothing in any way depicting the woman I strive to be. Is it me, or is glamour going away?

This post is mostly to say how sad I am that such glamorous models have been replaced by celebrities.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robyn2006; 05-20-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    When lost, alone, or blue I know I can always get through the day, for I've always another shade of lipstick to make things right!

I'd say that Katy Perry looks pretty on point and glamorous. The other cover looks like a vaccuous brunette relying on her cleavage for "glamour". Fashion is constantly evolving. That's what makes it "fashion". And are you really complaining that magazines are putting women on the covers that have more to offer than just pretty?

Guess it's a matter of opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    I'd say that Katy Perry looks pretty on point and glamorous. The other cover looks like a vaccuous brunette relying on her cleavage for "glamour". Fashion is constantly evolving. That's what makes it "fashion". And are you really complaining that magazines are putting women on the covers that have more to offer than just pretty?
    Yes, I am complaining. Glamour is glamour, cleavage aside... which wasn't at all where my eyes were drawn on that Vogue cover. Just missing the attempt on women's magazine covers to have beautiful, gorgeous models. I really like Katy Perry, but she's no Paulina Porizkova. This post was only to say how sad I am that such glamorous models have been replaced by celebrities, which I'll post now.
    When lost, alone, or blue I know I can always get through the day, for I've always another shade of lipstick to make things right!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Its sad that most celebrities are more screwed up than most of us regular people yet they seem to get a pass for ridiculous behavior.
    For example Madonna,Miley Cyrus, Beyonce',Ashley Judd just to name a few.
    They get glorified on magazine covers and for what ?
    Yeah they might be pretty on the outside but mean and nasty on the inside.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 05-20-2017 at 08:18 PM.

What a concept. Rich Hollywood (or New York) celebrities who do ridiculous things and get on magazine covers. Same as 60 and 70 years ago, just the indiscretion changed

OK, I don't get this thread at all. The concept of beauty changes with the times. The people who were on magazine covers in the 1960's and 70's would have been considered differently than the people in the 40's and 50's. Curves were replaced by angles. Blondes by brunettes. There were bad girls and girls next door. Only the names have changed. I get that so many here have a "concept" of what the perfect woman looks like. But I fail to see that women on covers are less beautiful than 30 years ago.

Look in the mirror kids, you ain't no spring chicken. You wore polyester pants and platform shoes or Hammer pants or whatever. So moaning that the women today on magazines aren't glamorous is just your perspective. And you pick two covers out of 12( or 24 or 36 or whenever you think women became unattractive). Face it, times change, tastes change.

Time to look and see, you're OLD.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I get what you are saying Lorileah.

Silver Member
    Won't speak about the women per se, but I sure miss 1980s glamour... for me fashion hit its apex during the 1980s. All downhill when the early-mid 90s came around.

I kind of get what you are saying. I read all the mags I can and I have noticed the move away from the very fem girl.

I think there is a move today to embrace beauty that isn't like the old pinups. Short hair, plus sizes, less curves, and more masculine looks. Its good that girls know that they don't have to fit some kind of barbie mold.

On the flip side, you also have to notice some gender neutral trends in the magazines too. This includes men dressed in women's clothes, actual transpeople, etc.

One of the coolest things I thought was in a foundation ad where they had different girls showing the different shades. One of them was a very manly man.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    These were all the rage for awhile. But, no Vogue.

Vanity Fair.jpg
    Playboy Cover (480x640).jpg
    cosmo cover (464x640).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Doc, everything but Vogue. Love it.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Silver Member
    I think the early 60s and the 80s were great years. With the early 60s came more lingerie colors, the long leg panty girdle, nylon dresses. I had one that was white with a black flowery design and a full skirt that blew in the wind. If you weren't careful ll would blow up and show your pretty slip. I also had a pretty pink dress with a tight skirt. Didn't like a lot of the 70s stuff. Wasn't into the mod styles. Liked the 80s with all the new fabrics. Had a couple pair of women's office shorts. Wore pettiepants under them. Also wore them under my suit pants at work. Sadly as the 80s went away women quit wearing slips for the most part.

Aspiring Member
    Please, oh please, let's not go back to the lime green polyester leisure suit. And women with those huge shoulder pads making them look like King Kong.

Ineke

Platinum Member
    I never thought much of the glamour shots on the covers of various magazines. The magazines always stare at me at the check out counters at the grocery stores. Recently I came across some "boudoir pictures (very tasteful) of my wife when she was twenty-one. She was a knockout. Our adult son saw a picture of his mom (not those pictures) when she was in her early twenties. His remark? "Mom was really hot when she was young!" Frankly I'm more attracted to women who have a natural beauty that has zero need for makeup. Forget the cover girls who have had a professional makeup job and a good deal of air brushing.

Banned Spammer

Post My concerns. I like the Vogue model.

I just don't like the anorexic model types are the big girl model types.i like to see heathy people as model.
    It's ok to have plus size models representation but awareness that a waist for a GG women 32" are over is a health risk and 42 and over for men is a health risk.women need muscle too and they need muscle tone.

This model who was trying to diet and has marbleing and muscle tone issues created a buzz and went viral when this photo was seen and they found out her diet was inadequately​ low in nutrition and calories.she is gaunt and skinny fat.i don't like heroin chic.

skinny fat is very unhealthy

The Hidden Dangers of ‘Skinny Fat’

Skinny Fat No More - How to Overcome Your Skinny Fat Body
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH3pzo-zKds

The Skinny Fat Solution: How to fix Skinny Fat and Get Lean

Doctors say we are focusing too much on weight, but thin people can sometimes carry the most dangerous kind of fat—and not know it

When Elizabeth Chanatry was 16 years old, she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. You’d never know it by looking at the 5-foot-3-inch tall, 117-pound 19-year-old, but even Chanatry admits that she’s not as fit as she could be. “My sister and I are not toned, but we are thin,” she says. Chanatry has genetics to thank for her physique, but also for her diabetes—her older sister and father both suffer from the disease too. For as long as she could remember Chanatry drank Diet Coke and asked for sugar-free syrup to avoid too much of the sweet stuff, but when she started to get symptoms for diabetes, she knew it hadn’t been enough.

Obesity is a serious epidemic in the U.S., but the problem, doctors say, is that we are putting too much weight on weight. When the CDC released obesity numbers last week, we cheered that the rate had fallen so drastically for children ages 2 to 5, even though obesity rates overall remained relatively flat. People with stellar metabolisms and magical genes may not look the part, but they can have the same medical issues as an obese person: type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and out-of-control blood sugar. It should be obvious, but a culture obsessed with weight doesn’t always remember that appearances of health can be skin deep.

“I see these people all the time,” says Dr. Daniel Neides, medical director at Cleveland Clinic’s Wellness Institute and Chanatry’s doctor. “On the outside they look incredibly healthy, but on the inside they’re a wreck.” You likely know

http://time.com/14407/the-hidden-dan...of-skinny-fat/
    Last edited by Lorileah; 05-26-2017 at 11:54 PM. Reason: photo not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    The other day I saw Katy Perry appearing as a guest on the Jimmy Fallon Show and sporting her new blonde pixie hairdo. She was attired all in black in a sheath-like outfit and sporting killer heels. When she first walked out from behind the curtain to approach Jimmy who was standing by his desk to greet her, at first glance I could have sworn it was Justin Bieber in drag...LOL!

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    The Magazine like Vogue used to sue people for using their trademarked cover styles. What they over looked was the Free advertising they received by artists and instead lost readership due to the negativity those lawsuits brought. Readership for most magazines have plummeted in the internet age. I still love to create whimsical covers using Photoshop.

I'm not certain I would classify 'reality' stars as celebrities. I've never understood why anyone would want to watch the kind of drama that passes as entertainment. Give me an old fashioned Soap Opera over a Reality show. At least you know some actual thought want into creating the content.

vouge_magazine_cover_psd_kelly Dewinter 001x600.jpg
    Last edited by Kelly DeWinter; 05-26-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Stop buying US Vogue and find a way to get Continental Europe editions, especially Vogue Italia. A little of the text will be in English, but the glamour shots will be all you desire, if it's the visuals you miss. They are written and edited by different staff in each country and for the most part they feature completely different photographers and models. And the CLOTHES are way more exciting.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    Won't speak about the women per se, but I sure miss 1980s glamour... for me fashion hit its apex during the 1980s. All downhill when the early-mid 90s came around.
    Exactly right, Vickie. Miss those fashion magazines of yesterday, now gone. : (

Ahhhh, Paulina. My favorite of that era's supermodels. And she still looks good today. Some people (Brinkley, too) don't seem to age like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly DeWinter View Post
    I've never understood why anyone would want to watch the kind of drama that passes as entertainment.
    Oh, that's easy. They get to feel superior when they can put other people down.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Then and Now

These are what I'm missing... Those glamorous 1980s and 90s supermodels/role models. Every month, I so looked forward to seeing and getting these magazines.
    Still subscribe to many, but nearly always a huge disappointment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkilovesdresses View Post
    Stop buying US Vogue and find a way to get Continental Europe editions, especially Vogue Italia. A little of the text will be in English, but the glamour shots will be all you desire, if it's the visuals you miss. They are written and edited by different staff in each country and for the most part they feature completely different photographers and models. And the CLOTHES are way more exciting.
    Good idea, Nikki. Thanks!