Thread: First Doctor visit

First Doctor visit

So this morning I had my first doctor appointment to officially get prescribed hormones. The doctor told me she didn't have a lot of experience and that I probably knew more than her. I told her what I was I was currently taking and dosage. She said she would would write the prescription and oversee all my blood work until she either find me someone more suited or gather the required information. I can't believe how easy it was. And to think I sat in the parking lot and almost chickened out. I had the first appointment of the day so there wasn't but one other woman there. I did find it funny how the nurse made me give a urine sample. Then proceeded to ask when my last period was. She was slightly confused when I said never. She asked when my last pap was. I said never it's not applicable. She was extremely confused at this point and it's taking all my power not to just laugh my ass off. When the doctor came in we talked about everything and I said sorry if I confused your nurse. She said it's okay we actually had you backwards, we thought you were a woman becoming a man. We laughed. Still not sure if that's a good thing, oh well. So long story short I can't believe I worked it up to such a big deal. So now just waiting to get my official prescription yay!
    [SIZE="3"]I wish I knew someone in another place where I could just move and start over! <3[/SIZE]

Congratulations shay! I wish you all the best on your path.

As a physician I must encourage you to find someone with a lot more experience to manage your hormones and journey. It is not all about lab numbers.

Laura's right Shay, you should find someone with a good record in this area. If it means you have to go a ways to find this doctor, so be it. Let your local doctor be in on the loop as an associate, but an experienced doctor needs to monitor your HRT. Good luck!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Yes Laura she has already sent me information for an experienced endo. Thank you for your concerns and encouragement.

Where do you live in Indiana? I am originally from Owensboro, Ky near Evansville.
    Suzanne
    Life Is One Big Dilation

I live up close to Cincinnati

Congratulations Shay! Please keep us posted on your journey. I am happy for you!

thats fantastic shay!! good luck

kinda funny little story , I agree with Laura on the dr, I recently had a meet and greet with my new family dr ,a woman dr, I broached the question to her ,that when my t levels were at the prescribed norm for a man of my age and weight ,that I had a very quick temper , and was pretty moody , however when my t levels were reduced my temper and moodiness leveled out , all she could say and repeat was you need anger management ,now I am 63 yrs old and I told her ploitely that there would be no anger classes and that I have been this way all my life ,her reply to this was I have never heard of the question you are posing , I should make an appt. with an endo as this is their special area ,I now have a naturopathic dr lined up and I broache the t/g question to her and she said no problem ,said she was not eperienced in this area but that i would be very welcome there so here I go into the abyss
    hugs phylis

I did finally get an appointment scheduled to see an endo. It was kinda crazy and stressful but it's done. I had to get an actual referral because the endocrinologist only accepts new patients that way. Then the referral was written wrong. Luckily the receptionist was a sweetheart and got it fixed for me, she said I know you don't need to be waiting any longer than you already have. Although my appointment isn't until October ugh. They seem very warm and accepting of transgendered patients. So yeah that's about all. I guess it gives me time to exercise harder and get my weight down before then.
    [SIZE="3"]I wish I knew someone in another place where I could just move and start over! <3[/SIZE]