Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we feminists?

Are we feminists?

In a different thread I drew a connection between transphobia, homophobia, misogyny and toxic masculinity on one hand and the difficulty in being out on the other. Some responses were positive, a few less so (that's ok I'm a big girl). Here are my questions? #1 Are we feminists? #2 Should we be?

For me the answers are #1 I try to be; #2 Yes!

It depends on your definition of feminism. Can you elaborate?
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

If you mean 'should we advocate for female rights?', then H. E. double toothpicks yes. We are, do and should.

We here have a special relationship with female identity, yes?

We have the opportunity to just hide behind the testosterone, but we choose another path. Their rights are our rights.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

A feminist is one who supports feminism. Feminism (noun) is the
    the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.

Since I view 'sex' as a lottery ticket, and I think everyone should have same rights, then yes. Everyone should have the same rights, regardless of chromosomal lottery tickets.

If that means 'feminism', then so be it. I'm for *human* rights, which should not be different depending on if you have an 'innie' or an 'outie'.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Just my opinion, but I would tend to advocate for "human rights". To group the population into segments just erodes society overall. It is getting out of control when so many people need a particular "label" and want to be treated according to that "label".

Equal rights, regardless of gender, colour, religion, sexual orientation, physical appearance,or age - I'm all for it!

Special preference because you (general pronoun, not personal) feel that your 'group' deserves recompense, or to "punish" the group that you feel has wronged you, my answer is NO.

Should we, as CD/TG, be feminists? I believe we should be humanists. Treat others as we wish to be treated.

I Aim To Misbehave

Totally agree Jodie.

I would say that most of us probably are feminists, if not publicly, but in practice. We want equality and acceptance, no matter how we dress and isn't that what the feminists want also?
    I'd say it'd be awful hard being a male chauvinist while wearing a dress, hose, heels and makeup.

For myself, I am absolutely a feminist. Not all of us are though. I've seen plenty of misogyny, either subtle or overt, among cd/trans people, even on this forum.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    Equal rights, regardless of gender, colour, religion, sexual orientation, physical appearance,or age - I'm all for it!

Special preference because you (general pronoun, not personal) feel that your 'group' deserves recompense, or to "punish" the group that you feel has wronged you, my answer is NO.

Should we, as CD/TG, be feminists? I believe we should be humanists. Treat others as we wish to be treated.
    Well said, equal rights, regardless of who we are on the inside, or the outside!
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I agree with Jodie! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

The posts about the need to favor human rights are well stated. I don't mean to elevate women's rights over others. I do believe though that crossdressers, trans women, gender fluid people, really anyone on the transgender spectrum, regardless of the label, fundamentally have the same struggle as women vs. patriarchy

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by char GG View Post
    Just my opinion, but I would tend to advocate for "human rights". To group the population into segments just erodes society overall. It is getting out of control when so many people need a particular "label" and want to be treated according to that "label".
    I could not have said it better.

In a sense, one could say that the struggles of CD/TG/TS are more difficult than cis-women, especially so for MtF.

Please GG's, I am NOT saying that the struggle for equality is a cake walk by any means! Nor am I elevating "us" over "you"!!!!!

I am pointing out though, that the CD/TG/TS (there has GOT to be an easier way to express that!) community faces additional challenges and hurdles on the road to acceptance and equality.

For example, I don't think many cis-women have been followed around by an SA because they are shopping in the men's section, nor given the 'eye' by a cashier for purchasing men's underwear, socks or any other male garment. Nor, in the last 40+ years, has a woman heard a passerby exclaim: "Did you see that woman? She's wearing PANTS!"

In the workplace, a woman may wear what she chooses (as long as it meets company guidelines)and alter her appearance (hair, nails, jewelry) without negative comments, nor receive aspersions about their morality, sexuality, or fitness for the job.

Again, let me emphasis that I am NOT saying women have it easy, far from it! But I am using these as an example that we all have obstacles to overcome to achieve equality, and IMO, far more importantly, acceptance for who we are rather than for what our internal plumbing, appearance or presentation.

I Aim To Misbehave

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If you are saying I should be a feminist like those crazy protestors at the womens march then no thanks.
    Dressing up like a vagina or wearing a "pussy" hat and screaming I am a nasty woman is not feminism at all.
    I do believe in equality for everyone no matter who or what they are but this current incarnation of "feminism" has been co opted by a radical leftist element and isn't really feminism.
    When trans people find out I am transgender they assume I am like they are. An all out feminist activist that accuse men of patriarchy,misogyny,male privilege etc.
    I am not one of those sheep that jump on the man hater bandwagon because everybody else is doing it I have a mind of my own.
    I don't see how a man be a CD,TG can be a feminist when they don't genetically belong to that group.
    You may agree with some of the feminist agenda but how many of you really think that way deep deep down in your heart?

"I don't see how a man be a CD,TG can be a feminist when they don't genetically belong to that group."

First: I believe gender identity transcends genetics. Second: anyone can be feminist, male, female, lgbt, whatev.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

"... how many of you really think that way deep deep down in your heart"

I do.

No on the feminist movement. I don't want anything to do with them. They trash men. I like men but i love women. Leave the men alone. So no to that. I like my feminism.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You are more than welcome to align yourself with a group that bashes men at every chance and acts like a bunch of spoiled kids.
    What you are thinking is feminism is not feminism at all. Sorry to break it to you.
    The whole womens march on Washington what good did it do? Not one thing other than make women look petty and irresponsible.
    Like a bunch of radical bigoted people that had no respect for themselves..
    You think they actually valued trans people there? No they thought of them as guys and not women.
    You think they embraced LGBT people? No wrong again
    Search you tube for videos and you will find numerous women trans bashing and calling gays fags. Its out there for you to see.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I fully support equality for women, and any one else, but if judging by some of the 'feminists' I have seen, I am certainly not one.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I am not sure if I can be a feminist, it doesn't sit comfortably with me to label myself as one. I certainly support feminism and I keep myself well informed about the topic. I think we (CDers) kind of owe it to women to at least try to understand and appreciate their situations - we borrow from their identities, I think it's the least we can do.
    And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom - Anais Nin

Daniella Argento
    My 2 cents
    Only people in privileged positions can think that it is not necessary to overthrow privelege and that therefore it is not acceptable to motivate for the advancement of people who have suffered from being disadvantaged by entrenched systematic power telations that previously advantaged some other group...

Tracii G has summed it all up and put it in a positive and accurate narrative. All this is nice to talk about but the TRUTH is still the truth we are men and can not be a true Feminist but you can uphold the ideas and assist in the plight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Quote Originally Posted by Danitgirl1 View Post
    Only people in privileged positions can think that it is not necessary to overthrow privelege and that therefore it is not acceptable to motivate for the advancement of people who have suffered from being disadvantaged by entrenched systematic power telations that previously advantaged some other group...
    We don't have either group living in a vacuum. As we all know, each sex has it's advantages. Current feminist woman's groups work hard to even the playing field for SOME inequal situations, but only the ones that help themselves. I don't see any of them protesting their ex husbands going to jail when they lose their jobs, and can no longer afford the lofty alimony and child support payments. Nope, can't have none of that. The whole concept of continuing to financially support a woman 'in the manner to which she has become accustomed' while ignoring that to which the man has become accustomed, is the perfect example. Women get, men pay; is all the feminist agenda seems to be. It's not about equality at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona123 View Post
    A feminist is one who supports feminism. Feminism (noun) is the
    the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.
    The problem I have currently, is that the feminist organizations ARE NOT pursuing equality. They're pursuing female>male legislation. So no, I'm no longer supporting feminism. I know it's politically incorrect, but they are not pushing for equality. They are what I refer to as 'cafeteria' feminists, they want all the benefits of being a guy, with none of the negative problems and especially, none of the responsibility.

Not one woman will admit that a female can, on her own, prevent herself from getting pregnant. Not one. Whenever the subject of 'unwanted pregnancy' comes up, it's always on the guy to use 'protection'. Men are held responsible, both financially and morally, for women refusing to take responsibility for themselves. If I have sex and get an STD, it's my fault for not protecting my body. But if a woman has sex and gets pregnant, then it's not her fault for not protecting her body? WTF???
    Nope, it's not about equality. Not at all.

When will they pursue equality in the divorce courts, for example. Or how about addressing the fact that more women than men are going to and graduating college? What are they doing about that? How about how primary education is set up to the advantage of girls instead of boys?

Nope, no equality work going on there, or lots of other areas. Current feminists only want SOME things to be equal, while not giving up any of the current advantages.
    When they truly work for equality for both sexes, THEN I will support them again. But like most other activist groups, I don't see that happening.

What I see here too often, is guys who want to feel as feminine as they can, and to them, part of being feminine is blaming men for all the bad things in women's lives. And I won't be a part of that.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 05-27-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I do believe in equality for everyone no matter who or what they are but this current incarnation of "feminism" has been co opted by a radical leftist element and isn't really feminism.
    I agree 100%