Thread: Crossing the Rubicon

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar

Crossing the Rubicon

On last Wednesday, I received the letters and forms from my HRT doctor that I will need to change my gender marker. This marks the point where I have medical corroboration identifying me as a woman.

On Thursday, I had my fingerprints taken electronically and sent to federal and state authorities for a background check, a necessary step for getting my name changed in Colorado. Since this involved spending significant money (about $100), and the results are only valid for 90 days, this really marks a "point of no return" in my transition.

That same day, I posted an official coming-out and transitioning announcement to both Facebook and Quora (a question-and-answer site where I have a prior Top Writer award, and which is one of my online "homes"). Responses on both sites were overwhelmingly positive, and, in fact, I received two separate private messages on Quora from site administrators, informing me that, if I wanted to change my name on Quora now, I would have no worries about officially running afoul of Quora's "Real Names" policy. I proceeded to make the change.

Friday, I sent out a "Dear Colleagues" letter to many of the people I work with at my company. Another outpouring of positive responses occurred, from my fellow software developers all the way up to the CEO himself, whose message brought tears to my eyes (although maybe that's the estrogen talking! ). It feels like the entire company is behind me as I make the transition.

If all goes well, by July 12, I will be a full-time woman legally and socially. It feels like it's all over but the formalities now.

- Amy

(Note that I have changed my signature block to reflect what will be my legal name. I consider "Tapie" to be my "maiden name," and have dropped it in favor of my original last name.)
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 05-30-2017 at 09:41 PM.
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Congratulations and best wishes going forward. You're the true you.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Wow. I'm so happy for you. I could feel you smile through your posting....This is fantastic!

Aspiring Member
    Congratulations, this is awesome news. I too can feel the excitement just reading your post.

Congratulations Amy.

Congrats but you may find it is far from over. There are a million, seemed like it to me anyway, to be done yet. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Smith View Post
    Congrats but you may find it is far from over. There are a million, seemed like it to me anyway, to be done yet.
    Oh, I know! My "Transition Plan" document is ten pages, and that's mostly lists of everything that needs to be changed over after the "big stuff" happens. A few things I've been able to change beforehand, though.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016