Thread: "Do you work?"

"Do you work?"

"Do you work?" It's either that, or "I don't know if you work, but..."

This is one of the more interesting and frankly surprising things I've noticed when meeting and socializing with other women. People don't automatically assume that I have a job, as they did before my transition.

It's 2017, but I guess it's still true that a greater proportion of men work than women? Or maybe it's because I live in the suburbs and that's more common?

Hey Em! Thanks for visiting me and Chris. We enjoyed your company and it made my day!
    Snacks and good company. How can you go wrong? Lol!!

I suspect it's because you live in an affluent area where married women can raise their kids... don't you think?

In my area WASH DC, It is assumed most all work, Too costly without two incomes.

I forget that at times when not all can party late, As I retired back in 2011.

Gold Member
    Yeah the suburbs are not quite the real world. It is assumed the man of the house has a good job and the woman doesn't have to work. That and all the other suburb stereotypes which, if one would get their facts together, would find those stereotypes are only 90% true.

OR... if they know you are TS, there seems to be this assumption that "no one is going to hire a TS". Of course those of us who have been in the TG life long enough know that there are TS in pretty much every sector of employment from kitchen staff all the way up to politicians.
    The only way someone is not going to find a job is if they do not really want one.

For real though - the ones who assume you do not work are probably spoiled housewives who assume no female would want to get off her butt and contribute to society outside of raising brats.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by jentay1367 View Post
    Hey Em! Thanks for visiting me and Chris. We enjoyed your company and it made my day!
    Snacks and good company. How can you go wrong? Lol!!

I suspect it's because you live in an affluent area where married women can raise their kids... don't you think?
    You're welcome! It was nice to finally meet you! And I think you may be right about living in a relatively affluent area. I've done some research, and well, the median household income in my city is only a few thousand dollars higher than the median household income in my state. However, some of the surrounding suburbs are very wealthy. So that might have something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    Yeah the suburbs are not quite the real world. It is assumed the man of the house has a good job and the woman doesn't have to work. That and all the other suburb stereotypes which, if one would get their facts together, would find those stereotypes are only 90% true.
    Actually, roughly half of the US population lives in the suburbs, so I think that it's unfair to characterize the suburbs as some kind of fantasy land that doesn't exist. It is very much the 'real world' for many, many Americans.

quote: "Nationally, 26 percent of Americans described where they live as urban, 53 percent said suburban and 21 percent said rural." -Link to source

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    For real though - the ones who assume you do not work are probably spoiled housewives who assume no female would want to get off her butt and contribute to society outside of raising brats.
    I don't know where this hostility is coming from, but it's very presumptuous of you to assume such a thing. Actually, most of the women who ask me, "do you work?" frequently lead their conversations with that question because they themselves work full time jobs, and I suspect they might be wondering how much I'll be able to relate to them as they start sharing about their work experiences.

It was fun to meet you to Em! Your cheerfulness really brought up my spirits. Thanks again. And Christy thought you were absolutely gorgeous! Well....so did I...l.o.l.
    Your pictures simply do not do you justice.

As far as women that don't work in the burbs? raising kids and running a household isn't necessarily some kind of walk in the park. Just cuz' there's no paycheck doesn't mean it's not work. I personally love the burbs. Speshully when it's close to the city. Close to shopping and the arts, good food and the like....all without the cost or danger of being in the City. To each her own!